+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABC Seeks Sexiest Person in America

ABC Seeks Sexiest Person in America

By Josef Adalian

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Hotties of the world, unite: ABC is looking to crown a king or queen of comeliness via a new reality series bluntly titled "Are You Hot?"

The network will launch a nationwide "American Idol"-like search for the sexiest person in America, with a group of tart-tongued judges passing Simon Cowell-esque judgments on folks who think they're all that and a bag of Baked Lays.

ABC has ordered six episodes of "Hot" from gonzo reality producer Mike Fleiss ("The Bachelor"). They will likely will bow early next year.

The series will begin with four episodes in which wannabes from each region of the country compete to become one of 40 quarterfinalists, divided equally between men and women. Viewers will play a part in picking the 16 semifinalists who will fly to Los Angeles to take part in a series of pageant-like competitions as well as makeover treatments. The finale of "Hot" will feature the person deemed "sexiest in America" via viewer calls.

ABC reality chief Andrea Wong said "Hot" will capitalize on the nation's obsession with rating the looks and fashions of celebs and other public figures.

"Everybody has different ideas about who's hot or who's sexy," she said. "You debate it endlessly with your friends, and magazines do it with 'Sexiest People' issues. So we figured, why not do a TV show about it and let America vote?"

ABC and Fleiss are making no bones about the lack of intellectual or creative stimuli involved in "Hot." To that end, it's no surprise that skimpy swimsuits definitely will be a part of the equation, Fleiss said.

"The cool thing about this show is that contestants will be judged with their clothes on and off," he said. "We'll see what we can get away with."

In addition to nationwide, um, exposure, the winner of "Hot" will get a "substantial" six-figure cash prize. But unlike most other beauty competitions, "Hot" will wallow in exploiting (and deflating) the egos and aspirations of those who think they're too sexy for this competition.

"People who think they're good-looking will be put to the test," Fleiss said.

Wong said "Hot" will "poke a little fun at people who think they're sexy."

"You don't have to be talented to be on this show," Wong said. "You don't have to sing, you don't have to dance, you don't have to do anything -- except think you're hot. It's good, pure fun."

In addition to the straight-forward competition part of the show, Fleiss hopes "Hot" will tell the personal stories of some of the contestants, as well as drawing out whatever drama might emerge from so many good-looking folks competing against one another (one word: catfight).

"It's a sexy little show," Fleiss said.

In addition to "Hot," Fleiss is prepping production on "The Will," a reality show for ABC in which a rich benefactor will divvy up his estate via a family competition.

"The Bachelor II" airs its season finale Wednesday, wrapping up an enormously successful run for a show that in recent weeks has become the top-rated reality series among adults 18-49. "The Bachelorette" will likely bow Jan. 8, with another "Bachelor" expected to follow.

It's possible "Hot" could air Wednesdays at 9 in March, after "Bachelorette" but before "Bachelor III." No decisions on scheduling have been made, however.
    See, now THIS sounds like a show LurkingGirl could get into. It's not quite Temptation Island, but it's pretty darn shallow.

I hate this sort of thing - ugh.

How the hell do you determine sexiness anyway?
    It's totally subjective.

I hope it pokes a lot of fun at the people who think they're hot.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Repulsive Concept

And I was repulsed by the premise of Joe Millionaire. This show is, IMO, ten times freaking worse. At least the Miss America contest and other beauty pagents are easier to swallow since they seem traditional -- they've been around since what, the 1940s or so?

I know we all make some judgments about others' physical appearances -- I happen to think that actor Brendan Fraser is a cutie -- but my gosh, this is just repulsive to me. . .

Lining people up to nit pick over their bodies. What's really going to kill me is if they get a guy on there (or a woman) who looks fine to me but then the judges go on to rag on that person over trivial things.

And as if we all aren't already under enough pressure from present t.v. ads and magazines to be stick thin and "perfect." Jeeze.

I hope Roderique wins it, just to prove them all wrong

I don't see that traditional makes them right to be honest.

You are still lining up women and judging them on their looks.
    The fact that they might well be able to tap dance or twirl a baton means nothing if they don't look good in a bikini.

Giving them a college scholarship does nothing more to validate pageants and beauty competitions either imo.

"That's Numberwang!"

FORT Newbie
    Christine is a sexy/beautiful. Attorney, how sexy is that. I could see her in a business suit everyday with something sexy on underneath everynight.

LG.
    How did I get into this thread, John. I've always loved the reality tv dating shows, but this is an ego parade. It would only be worth watching if they really rip on the people, but how long would that last? I want real emotional angst. I'm such a bitch.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I was a curious observer after Survivor was over I stumbled onto the last 20 minutes. I thought it was for the underdeveloped mind.

Did anyone see the ratings? I think the networks will try and push this Reality TV to the extreme and then if America doesnt respond it might swing to balance somewhere.

I also think sexy begins in your early 30s when you have some life experience to go along with good looks. I think there was one contestant who was 30.

Thumbs down - I'd rather see CSI after Survivor

One positive comment was hearing the Judges tell some of the women they were too thin. America need to hear that thin is not sexy. Toned, fit and strong is (to me)

Hope it fails to draw a crowd so it will not be a lingering source of irritation. UCK
    Support the FORT - Go Green

FORT Newbie
    rumi.... I believe there were several contestants that were 30 or older. look at the bio and pics on abc.com. Of course.... they were all cut. "Not Hot groups???? " Does that give us a message that the Hotties are all young adults between 18 and 24???

Originally posted by fluff
    I don't see that traditional makes them right to be honest.

You are still lining up women and judging them on their looks.
    The fact that they might well be able to tap dance or twirl a baton means nothing if they don't look good in a bikini.

Giving them a college scholarship does nothing more to validate pageants and beauty competitions either imo.
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't dig beauty shows or condone them. I can't explain it, but for some reason, I just find the "Are You Hot Show" more offensive and tacky than the standard, run of the mill "Miss Universe" or "Miss America" contest.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast