+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By mindy384

Thread: 11/7/12 Performance and 11/8/12 Results

11/7/12 Performance and 11/8/12 Results

We are all still using last week's thread . Time for the Top 12/13s own space for discussion!

Re: 11/7/12 Performance and 11/8/12 Results

For me, the coolest performance came from Lyric145 with Supercalifragiliciousexpialido cious! That was AWESOME. I just get bored of folks performing songs exactly like the original artists over and over again--even if they happen to be great singers, I still want something new and interesting if I'm going to spend my time (and money) on what is essentially a "copy."

Some other posters talked about Diamond and how she is the entire package...I have to agree, she just needs a few years. She has all the makings of a hip, current artist (and she can actually sing which is a huge bonus!)..she's gorgeous, can dance, will fit into the pop/dance/r&b genre well...just so many things working for her. BUT, what I don't get is the endless string of folks who continue to sing the GREAT songs by incomparable artists. There are just some singers that NO one can equal in talent and so whenever you cover their songs you will ALWAYS (ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS) fall short, even if you do a great job. It's not a long list so it's just inexcusable to keep doing Whitney H, Celine D, Christina A, Mariah C (and a few others) songs. There are a lot of great, unique singers out there but these artists are just out of the stratosphere in terms of raw talent and range--they are not limited to any genres and can sing ANYTHING. So, when they have a hit record like "Hero," "My Heart Will Go On," "I Will Always Love You," "Beautiful," etc... then it's just inexcusable to try and do those songs because it is impossible to sing/do these songs better than the originals. When will this nonsense stop?!

Carly Rose--She has the talent but I wonder how she would do in America's pop driven teen market? She has already proven that songs that would be successful for young performers, such as "Hit me Baby One More Time" or "Call Me Maybe" for example are not in her wheelhouse--she just isn't comfortable doing upbeat pop songs. I think her success would come more as an artist like Adele, so the question there is whether or not she has the maturity to fit into that market demographic yet?

Cece--she just needs to go. I've been baffled by the discussion over her talent...I think weve forgotten her first audition which pretty much sucked. She can hit a few loud notes but she's not really a great singer...frankly, I'm not even sure I'd classify her as "good."

Fifth Harmony--Good gracious, what is Simon thinking? This is a super talented group that could actually make some money and have a decent run but they need two things:
    1- Spend more time working together. Get these kids living together and WORKING...homeschool, moving, whatever it takes. They really have a shot.
    2- You HAVE to have a recognizable LEAD in every group and Simon should know this and make it happen. Every hugely successful group has had a lead/head artist that was essentially the first person you thought of in the group...they were always featured in the middle, handled a majority of the featured, solo vocals and became the focal point. This equality dynamic that Fifth has going may make everyone feel warm and fuzzy but at the end of the day they need a lead singer. For example, here is a list of some of the most successful and recognizable groups/bands in the last 2 decades:

-NSYNC
    -BACKSTREET BOYS
    -PUSSYCAT DOLLS
    -DANITY KANE
    -DESTINY'S CHILD

Notice a trend...they all featured a lead singer (or at least face that was associated with the band) that immediately came to mind...and it worked. The average consumer doesn't want to be burdened by the excess and complication of trying to remember and identify a large group, particularly when they are just starting out. Having a featured lead allows a developing fanbase to recognize and attach to that one person and if they are invested enough they can branch out to the rest of the group. This setup also promotes a band/group because some fans will inevitably choose one of the other members and become even more enamored with the group as they evaluate that person's role, etc... It's a great marketing setup because it keeps things simple yet complex...and so it's just enough not to be overwhelming while maintaining a dynamic that is still interesting.
    Last edited by mindy384; 11-09-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    Bet2Win and JavaJo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384 View Post
    Fifth Harmony--Good gracious, what is Simon thinking? This is a super talented group that could actually make some money and have a decent run but they need two things:
    1- Spend more time working together. Get these kids living together and WORKING...homeschool, moving, whatever it takes. They really have a shot.
    2- You HAVE to have a recognizable LEAD in every group and Simon should know this and make it happen. Every hugely successful group has had a lead/head artist that was essentially the first person you thought of in the group...they were always featured in the middle, handled a majority of the featured, solo vocals and became the focal point. This equality dynamic that Fifth has going may make everyone feel warm and fuzzy but at the end of the day they need a lead singer. For example, here is a list of some of the most successful and recognizable groups/bands in the last 2 decades:

-NSYNC
    -BACKSTREET BOYS
    -PUSSYCAT DOLLS
    -DANITY KANE
    -DESTINY'S CHILD

Notice a trend...they all featured a lead singer (or at least face that was associated with the band) that immediately came to mind...and it worked. The average consumer doesn't want to be burdened by the excess and complication of trying to remember and identify a large group, particularly when they are just starting out. Having a featured lead allows a developing fanbase to recognize and attach to that one person and if they are invested enough they can branch out to the rest of the group. This setup also promotes a band/group because some fans will inevitably choose one of the other members and become even more enamored with the group as they evaluate that person's role, etc... It's a great marketing setup because it keeps things simple yet complex...and so it's just enough not to be overwhelming while maintaining a dynamic that is still interesting.
    I thought Emblem 3 will be the top vote getters but they were surprisingly lower. Tate was a surprise too being #1 and I wonder if Tiger Budbill of last year's would have done as well too if he made the live shows being appealing to middle America.

I totally agree about your comments regarding 5th Harmony. I was going to post about what is lacking in their performances. They seem to be still searching for an identity (they can't even make up a name for the group) as noone is taking the lead. Demi was right, only Camila Cabelo stands out and she should be the lead singer. She's great and I wonder why she wasn't even selected as one of solo artists in the under 25s. If they lose, she should come back just like Arin did. They somewhat featured Camila on their last performance (she being in the middle and sang more verses) but she needs to do more. Usually there is a 2nd lead (like N'Sync has JC Chasez) and since we now know that Camila is being slowly molded as the lead, we haven't figured out who's taking the 2nd lead. I think that should be Lauren Jauregui.

Camila Cabello
    mqdefault.jpg

Lauren Jauregui
    mqdefault.jpg

Here's the Poll and you can rank them
    Most Impressive during LYLAS' Debut [POLL] - noomeral

+ Reply to Thread