+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Finale Show 12/21 * Spoliers*

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: Finale Show 12/21 * Spoliers*

Quote Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
    Order is: Josh, Chris than Melanie.

I have no clue what the song was that Josh or Chris sang. Josh seemed very nervous. Sang with Alanis Morsiette. I missed the name of whom Chris sang with.
    Josh and Alanis sang "Uninvited" from her "Jagged Little Pill" CD. (L-O-V-E that song!)

Chris and Avril sang "Complicated" from her "Let Go" CD. (Hubby loves her!)

Yahoo just named this in their top 10 worst tv shows of 2011:

(3) "The X Factor"

"Congratulations, Simon: Your new show makes "American Idol" look like a humble small-town talent show. From its magical-X-hurtling-through-outer-space opening to the bombastic opera music that introduces the contestants, "Factor" is ridiculously overblown to the power of ten. Unfortunately for you, Simon, all that grandiosity is masking the fact that you haven't found a single compelling talent this season that even comes close to meriting a $5 million recording contract. "Factor" is all sizzle, no steak. Oh, and you made a 13-year-old girl collapse in tears on national TV. Bravo! "

Pretty funny

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Good show tonight and I'm glad it's almost over. Probably won't watch next season as I don't like the mentor aspect of it. It's like the competition is more about the judges than the contestants.

Anywho I wasn't overly thrilled with Josh and Alanis duet. Love her, love him but I'm not totally convinced that they sounded good together. By the end, they sounded alright but the beginning was meh. He was good on his 2nd song.

Chris and Avril. Ugh, that was not good. She doesn't sound that great live anyways.

Melanie and R. Kelly. It was just good, not exceptional. Her 2nd song was much, much better.

I'm not sure who will win, nor do I really care. No matter who wins, hopefully the 5 million dollars will help them create an album that pulls in respectable numbers, which in turn allows them to continue doing what they love.

If I was forced to pick, I think Melanie will win.

December 21, 2011: X Factor: The Finals

1. Chris Rene. I have no idea who will win. My gut tells me itís Josh Krajek; easily the most appealing to forty-something working class American men and women, who just happen to form the nucleus of the X factor viewing demographic. Time will tell. I donít know who partnered Chris and Avril Lavigne; it wouldnít have been my choice, but it was the only collaboration that worked. They are both rebels and radical individuals; and the recent fusion of rock and rap will only become more commercial. The second performance was Chrisí best work yet; an absolutely perfect performance of Young Homie. Unlike American Idol, X Factor is not about singing excellence and vocal prowess; itís about star potential; and Chris Rene has it in overflow. No, heís not the best singer (Melanie is) but thanks to Tank, we can all enjoy perfect pitch these days, even you and me. Chris was my favorite the moment I saw him and even though I always accept and respect Americaís decisions, I am hoping that he will win. He is a perfect pop male prototype; right for X Factor, right for contemporary and commercial media markets, and more importantly, right for music.
    2. Melanie Amaro. Her partnership with R. Kelly didnít do her any favors (who picked this partnership?). R. Kelly personifies R&B; his is as real as it gets, while it became obvious early on that Melanie struggles with this genre. I didnít like it at all. But I want to be fair to Melanie. R. Kelly is a difficult copy, even for male singers, and, I Believe I Can Fly simply doesnít fit the female voice. In fact, the only female singer to conquer and tame this monster is Patti Labelle. So I canít fault Melanie for what happened here; as it was an ill-advised collaboration from the start. The second performance, Listen, started out brilliantly, but as we learned with Miracles, Melanie lacks pacing and endurance (easily remedied) so simply canít negotiate power notes at the end of a performance. Yet, this is precisely whatís needed if one wants to leave a lasting impression. Finally, I want to address personal responsibility. Melanie says she feels her music and I believe her, but itís not manifested in her performances, which, more often than not are reminiscent of a Train lyric: I need a sign, to let me know youíre here; cause my T.V. set just keeps it all from being clear. Have you seen a Beyonce or Shakira interview and/or performance? Thereís this wonderful feminine warmth that permeates a room and envelopes everything and everyone in it. Paula Abdul has it. Nicole Scherzinger has it. Young Rachel has it. Even the more introverted Adele has it. I canít explain it. I only know that I enjoy basking in the glow of that wonderful feeling; that I am grateful for the sharing. Since Iíve never felt this with Melanie, and I am always open to it, I look for a reason. I have come to know her better recently and she has opened the door a bit, but if sheís to become the pop superstar and X Factor world ambassador that Simon believes her to be, she will need to do a lot more than sing well; sheíll need to invite us in and show us her heart. Good luck, Melanie.
    3. Josh Krajek. Josh was badly out-sung tonight, by Melanie and Chris; a first. The collaboration with the ethereal Alanis Morissette didnít work at all. One has a voice like an angel; the other a voice like a volcanic wind. Címon. His best genre is rock but even thatís a difficult sell. Heís a Seether clone with a heavy gravely voice and thereís not enough market share for both, and, Josh lacks a rock authenticity. Even though I like him best (Josh is a great guy); he's not a superstar; just an average Joe with a guitar trying to do the impossible. But isnít that the ultimate American Dream? Good luck Josh. Love you, buddy!

Best Performances:
    1. Purple Rain----------Stacey Francis
    2. Young Homie-------Chris Rene
    3. Feeling Good--------Melanie Amaro
    4. Iíd Rather Go BlindóRachel Crow
    5. Stop In The Name of Love----Kaitlin Koch

The Two That Got Away: Caitlin Koch and Brennin Hunt
    (I thought both were very talented and marketable). Honestly, I like the show, but think it will need better talent if it is to survive for ten years.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 12-22-2011 at 01:37 AM.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Good show tonight and I'm glad it's almost over. Probably won't watch next season as I don't like the mentor aspect of it. It's like the competition is more about the judges than the contestants....[snipped].
    I so agree. I got the impresagsion that the mentoring hurt as much as it helped. And the competition between the judges makes their voting suspect (are they voting to keep the best or to sabotage a fellow judge or to eliminate the better contestant to give their mentees a better chance?).

I wasn't able to see tonight's show. I decided I didn't care enough to watch it on tape - and after reading the board here, I have even less desire to.

FORT Fogey

I have nothng to add regarding the singing, song choices, and the great Yahoo review, but I do want to mention Melanie's clothing. Who picks the clothing for that girl--- all season......but especially last night.

Her first dress featured a jacket with something that sparkled from hips to knees and then something black from knees to the floor that she was adjusting while talking to the host. The second outfit was even worse. It looked like a sparkley mermaid dress with froth from knees to the floor. On top was a while blazer that looked like she borrowed from some guy before she came out because she was cold. What the heck was that??

Like Paula said about taking fashion advice from Simon....This is his idea of relevant and modern? UGLY!!!

I won't be watching next season. I will probably DVR the show tonight so I can FF through the really annoying parts. The problem with this show is, most of it is really annoying to me. From the idiotic host who asks the exact same questions over and over, to the sniping between the "mentors", to my latest, and I must say, most annoying factor of this show.... the incredibly LOUD audience. You can't even hear the singers over the screaming. I have to agree 100% with the Yahoo review someone posted above. And I really had high hopes for this show when it first began.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost View Post
    December 21, 2011: X Factor: The Finals

1. Chris Rene. I have no idea who will win. My gut tells me it’s Josh Krajek; easily the most appealing to forty-something working class American men and women, who just happen to form the nucleus of the X factor viewing demographic. Time will tell. I don’t know who partnered Chris and Avril Lavigne; it wouldn’t have been my choice, but it was the only collaboration that worked. They are both rebels and radical individuals; and the recent fusion of rock and rap will only become more commercial. The second performance was Chris’ best work yet; an absolutely perfect performance of Young Homie. Unlike American Idol, X Factor is not about singing excellence and vocal prowess; it’s about star potential; and Chris Rene has it in overflow. No, he’s not the best singer (Melanie is) but thanks to Tank, we can all enjoy perfect pitch these days, even you and me. Chris was my favorite the moment I saw him and even though I always accept and respect America’s decisions, I am hoping that he will win. He is a perfect pop male prototype; right for X Factor, right for contemporary and commercial media markets, and more importantly, right for music.
    2. Melanie Amaro. Her partnership with R. Kelly didn’t do her any favors (who picked this partnership?). R. Kelly personifies R&B; his is as real as it gets, while it became obvious early on that Melanie struggles with this genre. I didn’t like it at all. But I want to be fair to Melanie. R. Kelly is a difficult copy, even for male singers, and, I Believe I Can Fly simply doesn’t fit the female voice. In fact, the only female singer to conquer and tame this monster is Patti Labelle. So I can’t fault Melanie for what happened here; as it was an ill-advised collaboration from the start. The second performance, Listen, started out brilliantly, but as we learned with Miracles, Melanie lacks pacing and endurance (easily remedied) so simply can’t negotiate power notes at the end of a performance. Yet, this is precisely what’s needed if one wants to leave a lasting impression. Finally, I want to address personal responsibility. Melanie says she feels her music and I believe her, but it’s not manifested in her performances, which, more often than not are reminiscent of a Train lyric: I need a sign, to let me know you’re here; cause my T.V. set just keeps it all from being clear. Have you seen a Beyonce or Shakira interview and/or performance? There’s this wonderful feminine warmth that permeates a room and envelopes everything and everyone in it. Paula Abdul has it. Nicole Scherzinger has it. Young Rachel has it. Even the more introverted Adele has it. I can’t explain it. I only know that I enjoy basking in the glow of that wonderful feeling; that I am grateful for the sharing. Since I’ve never felt this with Melanie, and I am always open to it, I look for a reason. I have come to know her better recently and she has opened the door a bit, but if she’s to become the pop superstar and X Factor world ambassador that Simon believes her to be, she will need to do a lot more than sing well; she’ll need to invite us in and show us her heart. Good luck, Melanie.
    3. Josh Krajek. Josh was badly out-sung tonight, by Melanie and Chris; a first. The collaboration with the ethereal Alanis Morissette didn’t work at all. One has a voice like an angel; the other a voice like a volcanic wind. C’mon. His best genre is rock but even that’s a difficult sell. He’s a Seether clone with a heavy gravely voice and there’s not enough market share for both, and, Josh lacks a rock authenticity. Even though I like him best (Josh is a great guy); he's not a superstar; just an average Joe with a guitar trying to do the impossible. But isn’t that the ultimate American Dream? Good luck Josh. Love you, buddy!

Best Performances:
    1. Purple Rain----------Stacey Francis
    2. Young Homie-------Chris Rene
    3. Feeling Good--------Melanie Amaro
    4. I’d Rather Go Blind—Rachel Crow
    5. Stop In The Name of Love----Kaitlin Koch

The Two That Got Away: Caitlin Koch and Brennin Hunt
    (I thought both were very talented and marketable). Honestly, I like the show, but think it will need better talent if it is to survive for ten years.
    Ouch - you thought Chris outsang Josh??? I will agree this wasn't Josh's best night. But my husband hadn't been watching the show. He loves Avril, so he watched that performance. When Chris sang, my husband was cringing and making painful sounds. His comment was that it made sense that he's a rapper. Yes, maybe they can do something about his pitch, but I just cannot stand to hear him sing.

If you're interested, this is DialIdol's predictions:

Click to see Spoiler:

Melanie....36.5...1-2
    Josh.......25.2...1-2
    Chris.......7.6...3

I know DialIdol hasn't been terribly accurate since alternatives to phone voting were introduced. But I still like to see what they have to say.
    Last edited by BuckeyeAddict; 12-22-2011 at 10:23 AM.

FORT Fogey

Ah, the slings and arrows of critics. The Comcast homepage has given me this info this week. Nicole was supposed to have been the co-host. Since she did not like her co-host, he was replaced ( and it is not clear if it was Jones or not). Nicole then replaced Cheryl as a judge so Steve was the main host. Now that Simon and Nicole have butted heads, he commented that he would like to move Nicole to England and take Kelly to the US. Of course with Kelly's issue, that puts all that up in the air. Add in Nicole's comment that she is not sure if she will be back.......and the gossip that Steve is on his way out ( of course Brooke has stayed the critics on DWTS for seasons), we have a show in a state of flux.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast