+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: 12/8 Results Show ***SPOILERS***

Re: 12/8 Results Show ***SPOILERS***

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I hope next season of X Factor does not put these young kids through again. They just aren't mature enough to handle it, and you have people fawning all over you , telling you how wonderful you are, how you really have a chance to win - then pull the rug out. It's no surprise when they have a meltdown.
    I completely agree. It was awful seeing this child so devastated. It would be hard enough for an adult to handle this type of rejection, but to expect a child to process it and deal with it in a mature manner is ridiculous. These kids are developmentally incapable of coping with the kind of stress and pressure they are subjected to in this contest.

If I ruled the world, I would not allow any child under the age of 18 to participate in any "reality" show, competition or otherwise.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I've repeatedly read comments in this thread that Rachel needs to "toughen up". Lemme tell you, I'm all about "tough love" especially when it comes to teaching kids it's not the end of the world... but... this is a totally different situation. These are children being inappropriately thrust into an ultra-competitive situation. Rachel doesn't need to toughen up, she's a child for heaven's sake! She is 13 and reacted the way a child would. This is why children should not be able to compete in these shows... they... are... children. Children inappropriately react all the time and both Rachel and Drew... and even Asstro... proved that point this season. Sadly their inappropriate reactions were captured on "live" television show for all the world to see. Do I blame the children? Heck no. I blame all the adults who allowed them to be in that position in the first place. Children are not emotionally ready for the pressures and expectations that come along with being on a reality-competition show. I pity the child who, at the age of 13, is "toughened up" enough to react to being sent home on AI or XF as a grown adult would. That might bother me quite a bit as well (though at least I wouldn't have to watch the meltdown).

Let's remember they are children and not expect them to react like adults.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Just saying but I probably would not react well to losing out on a $5 million contract and my own bathroom. It would not be pretty,nope.lol Especially due to the cowardly Nicole. I really hope I am wrong but I think Josh is going to suffer the backlash for Nicole.
    Debb70 likes this.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

December 07, 2011: The Top Five

1. Chris Rene. T.I.ís Live Your Life was probably his best rhyming since Young Homie . Even though I don't think America will award $5M to a rapper, if Chris can repeat next week what he did this week, he just might have a chance. Where Do We Go is not a great love song; the lyrics are simple; thereís no storyline; the music is simple (he should fire his guitar teacher); but he made it work. This was a beautiful acoustic performance; loaded with emotion, charm, charisma and minimalism; reminiscent of You Are So Beautiful. Chris will let you in; heíll show you his heart without hesitation. Tonight was X Factorís best show of the season I think; with several wonderful performances, but, nothing I saw tonight changed my mind. If I had $5M, Iíd invest every penny of it in Chris Rene; checkered past and all. This dude is money.
    2. Marcus Canty. I love Chanka Khan (Smoking Room is one of all time favorite songs) but Ainít Nobody is not for me. And even though he doesnít have the chops for Donnie Hathawayís A Song For You; e.g., Elliott Yamin nailed it shut on American Idol, this was Marcusí best performance of the season. In my opinion, the kind of romantic R&B crooning he should have been doing all along. All the pieces are there, albeit disarrayed and disordered; Marcus is a natural talent with immense likability, and worthy of investment; just not while Chris Rene is still in the competition, and not to the tune of five million dollars. I was shocked Marcus survived Rachel Crow; that kid sang her heart out last night; offered up her best work of the season; a memorable, emotional, technically proficient, and insanely precocious performance, but as Iíve said many times, thereís simply no defending likability, and Marcus is loaded with it. And I do not blame Nicole; sheís an honorable woman who couldnít bring herself to send home either contestant so left it up to America. I can respect that. America did nothing wrong either; they voted for their favorite and they obviously preferred the other four; nothing wrong with that; thatís interactive television; sometimes our favorites lose, but we must always accept and respect Americaís decisions.
    3. Melanie Amaro. Iím easy; I like all these kids and I donít ask for much; so itís rare that I donít connect with them. Melanie started the competition incognito and despite coming out, coming clean with an emotional mia culpa, I'm not sure it will be enough to steal votes from the more charismatic and charming Chris Rene, Marcus Canty, and Josh Krajek. Her voice, her talent however cannot be ignored; she can sing. But I havenít changed my mind; I do not see a pop superstar here. I have mixed feelings about her performances this week. I loved the first half of When You Believe but the chorus, loaded with high notes and vocal prowess, overwhelmed her upper register and for the first time this season, was forced to surrendered the challenge. Honestly, I was shocked by the first song. Why would Simon dismantle Adeleís Someone Like You? That song is a music masterpiece, Adeleís finest composition; and one of the most emotionally draining ballads of all time. Sorry, but to a music purist like me, thatís just not done, so I was forced to disengage. Itís a shame the real Melanie showed up so late. I donít know her reasons, she never said, but it would have been nice to meet the real Melanie earlier. I donít dislike Melanie; I just donít know her; not like I know the others. Itís weird the way it all worked out though. Chris, Marcus, Rachel, and Josh have way more charisma and likability than Melanie, yet she made the final four. How did it happen? I think itís because America maintains a healthy sense of fair play. Iím not a fan; I don't see an X Factor here; but I try to be fair; and I freely admit that Melanie Amaro is the best singer in this competition and I wish her well always.
    4. Josh Krajek. There was nothing wrong with Joshís cover of Rhiannaís We Found Love In a Hopeless Place. I donít like the song much but his was an accurate copy. George Harrisonís Something was also accurate and honest. I saw nothing wrong with it. I like Josh, the man, but not the singer. There's no X Factor here either. My problem with Josh is the cataclysmic gulf between his artistic vision and creation. Heís not a bad singer; but is clearly not technically proficient or diverse enough to articulate in performance the vision he creates in his mind. But like Chris and Rachel, he is an open book, as real and authentic as its gets. I like him immensely; heís a good guy. Simon seems to think heís a Frankenstein, but I would never bet against Josh. He is very much the hero of working class American men and women; and in my mind, the contestant most likely to walk away with $5 million dollars.
    5. Rachel Crow. I love this kid. Her smile lights up the room; sheís genuine, authentic; transparent, adorable; the very personification of love. Like Chris, Rachel will show you her heart and welcome you inside with open arms. Both these performances were good, neither was great. Sheís got powerful pipes for one so young and knows what to do with them. B.o.B.'s Nothing On You was good clean fun. I agree with Simon; pronouns donít matter much at thirteen (for girls) so she can sing whatever she wants. MJís Music and Me definitely had the potential to make us feel; to take us places weíve never been, but young Rachel just doesnít have the life experience to guide us there; not yet. But she is a beautiful soul, with a bright future. And her cover of Etta Jamesí Iíd Rather Go Blind, was one of the best performances of the season, the equal of Stacy Francisí Purple Rain and Chris Reneís Young Homie. Sheís not a pop music superstar, but she is very much a star; and as Steve intimated, perfect for movies and television. Iíd love to see a Q score for this lovable little tyke. It is probably through the roof.

Sore Loser: Paula, Nicole, and L.A. took their lumps, went back to their respective corners, and came out swinging next round. Simon lost a round, refused to return to his corner, got mad; and delivered low blows and the silent treatment to the competition, even after the bell. We all love Simon but man, that dude hates to lose.

Age Limit: Given what happened to Rachel last night, I wonder if the producers will revisit lowering the age limit? The adults hurt too when they learn their fate (especially Stacy) but nothing compares to the meltdowns we witnessed from Astro, Drew, and Rachel. Rachelís was an inconsolable and hysterical grief. Iím starting to wonder if the pressure of the bottom two is too stressful for the very young. I like the show and the format but not sure I want to watch kids trying to cope with an otherwise adult hurt and pain. Itís hard to watch and I don't want to see it again. If the age limit is to be retained, I wonder if the producers would consider the introduction of a stress test; e.g., to be administered by a qualified child psychologist during the early interview portion of the competition; e.g. before the live shows? Something clearly needs to be done to help these kids cope with losing.
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 12-10-2011 at 04:18 AM.

FORT Fogey

I think kids are fabulous on this show or any other competition. Being disappointed is part of this business, even to the point of tears. I like seeing talented children with passion. There is no right way to approach life. The entertainment industry is full of young people. We all have a story to tell when we reach aduthood and there are as many good things as "bad" in all of them. Rachael has good support at home and this experience will be very helpful to her! Astro and Drew, too. Look at Jackie Evanko. Why deny her and us her skill and beauty because she is too young.

There are strong opinions out there about what others "should" do. My philosophy is to design my own life and allow others to do the same, anyway they choose.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

as per TMZ so take with a grain of salt

It ain't over for former "X-Factor" contestant Rachel Crow -- TMZ has learned, Disney bigwigs are clamoring to sign the 13-year-old after her elimination last night ... and have already set up a meet-and-greet.

A rep for Disney tells us, "Now that she has been eliminated off X-Factor, a general meeting is planned with her and Disney Channel executives soon."

We're told Disney honchos want to go through a laundry list of possible opportunities for Rachel during the meeting -- including TV, movies, and radio.

There is no date for the meeting -- but according to sources, it will likely be before the end of the month.

I think she would be a perfect Disney kid. Talented, down to earth and has a healthy relationship with her parents that should keep her out of trouble, almost like a new a Raven Symone or Selena Gomez.
    Shoepie likes this.
    I don't object to the concept of a deity, but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr...purr...purr.

FORT Fogey

liedenfrost----for the record ...we do not "all" love Simon

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I think kids are fabulous on this show or any other competition. Being disappointed is part of this business, even to the point of tears. I like seeing talented children with passion. There is no right way to approach life. The entertainment industry is full of young people. We all have a story to tell when we reach aduthood and there are as many good things as "bad" in all of them. Rachael has good support at home and this experience will be very helpful to her! Astro and Drew, too. Look at Jackie Evanko. Why deny her and us her skill and beauty because she is too young.

There are strong opinions out there about what others "should" do. My philosophy is to design my own life and allow others to do the same, anyway they choose.
    I'm not saying "the world" should be denied the skill/beauty/talent of young people. Far from it. What I am saying is that young people are not emotionally equipped to deal with the absolute, real and true possibility/potential for not winning a reality-competition television show when they have clearly invested so much into winning. I don't believe that chidren should be allowed to COMPETE in these reality-competition shows. That's all.

What talent needs is opportunity.
    What talent needs is exposure.

What talent does not need is to win a reality-competition show.

More often than not, the truly talented do not win these reality-competition shows. They win by getting the opportunity and exposure necessary to springboard their career.
    JunkieGirl, mushybrain and Babbred like this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    With all the hoopla surrounding Rachel's leaving the show, all I can personally say is, the sooner both Chris and Josh get the hell off the show, the better, so they can join the likes of Astro and get on with their recording careers. I personally don't think Chris is going to win, even though he's my favourite. But that will be fine with me, because this show will have served him its purpose--that being, giving him the exposure he needed to get his name, face, voice and hell, even his story out there. Same goes for Josh.

Since Chris Daughtry and Adam Lambert's all-too-soon demise from AI some years, back, followed by a highly successful recording careers, winning these types of shows doesn't really hold the same weight in my opinion. I really don't care who goes home at this point.

Winning-schmining, I couldn't care less. The only drawback to not winning this show is missing out of the five million dollars. But other than that, as long as the runner(s) up go on to have successful recording careers, that's what ultimately counts.

Great Post!!!! I totally agree with everything you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    I've repeatedly read comments in this thread that Rachel needs to "toughen up". Lemme tell you, I'm all about "tough love" especially when it comes to teaching kids it's not the end of the world... but... this is a totally different situation. These are children being inappropriately thrust into an ultra-competitive situation. Rachel doesn't need to toughen up, she's a child for heaven's sake! She is 13 and reacted the way a child would. This is why children should not be able to compete in these shows... they... are... children. Children inappropriately react all the time and both Rachel and Drew... and even Asstro... proved that point this season. Sadly their inappropriate reactions were captured on "live" television show for all the world to see. Do I blame the children? Heck no. I blame all the adults who allowed them to be in that position in the first place. Children are not emotionally ready for the pressures and expectations that come along with being on a reality-competition show. I pity the child who, at the age of 13, is "toughened up" enough to react to being sent home on AI or XF as a grown adult would. That might bother me quite a bit as well (though at least I wouldn't have to watch the meltdown).

Let's remember they are children and not expect them to react like adults.

I work in a school, so I couldn't agree with you more. I especially like the bolded part. That's basically what I've said before; a responsible parent would not let their kids do this, IMO. It's your job to protect them and any parent who lets their children suffer this kind of trauma has failed miserably. This is not like losing a game of Little League. At least there, you can learn other valuable life lessons such as teamwork, playing fair, etc. The only thing I can see kids learning on this show is that life sucks.

And like you said, Marlena, nobody is trying to keep kids from singing. Heck, Rachel should sign up to go belt out the national anthem at her local sports team. If her family is religious then she can sing in church; a lot of famous singers got their start in church. There's also talent shows and of course, You Tube...look what that did for Justin Bieber.

I, too, agree with you, Bee. The faster Chris and Josh get away from this trainwreck, the better. I prefer Josh, but I sincerely hope that some company snaps up Chris because he is likable and, like Astro, he is talented in his genre.

And finally, I have to join the chorus against that silly host. Almost as heartbreaking as Rachel's crying was the way that Marcus was trying to reach out to her. I just wanted to slap that host silly for hustling Marcus out of the way. If I had been Marcus I would have shoved out of the way and then there really would have been something to report on the news...

Whoops, I forgot. No, not everybody loves Simon. Somebody mentioned that just before the result was announced he nodded at Rachel as if to say, "Don't worry, there's no way you'll go home." No wonder she had a meltdown since, like Drew, he's been telling her all these weeks that she's the Second Coming of Music. How is a kid supposed to know better?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread