+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 11/22 Live Show *** SPOILERS ***

Re: 11/22 Live Show *** SPOILERS ***

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I hate to lose Leroy. I love his voice, but it always seems like he's holding back.Last night was no exception.I saw the interview with Simon, and he's right about Nichole, she looked lovely last night though.I thought everyone did well last night, I thoroughly enjoyed the show( its gaining more viewers each week)
    It lost viewers last night.
    TV Ratings Tuesday: ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Finale, ‘NCIS,’ ‘NCIS:LA,’ ‘Unforgettable’ Hit Lows Amid Widespread Declines - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

Fox's special Tuesday two hour The X Factor tumbled 18% vs. last week's Wednesday episode to a 3.2 adults 18-49 rating, not a series low, but a low for a performance episode.

I wish Astro would go home. Was he really sorry? Doubt it, he was sorry for the backlash. If he stays, I would like to see if he can do something besides raise his hand and go "yo, yo". Would love to see LA Reid go home too.

Melanie was outstanding, as was Josh. Top 2 in my opinion.

Simon didnt look worried. He was up against DWTS finale as well

November 23, 2011: The Top Nine
    (Iíve heard enough and decided to chime in. I havenít missed an episode. My ranking is based on this: which contestant is likely to fetch a hefty return on a $5M investment?

1. Chris Rene. Heís not a good singer at all; not a great rapper either (Astro, unlikeable as he is, does it better), but he is authentic, unique, likeable, non-threatening, and in my opinion, highly commercial. Emimem is unquestionably the most successful rapper alive and in my opinion, the best lyricists of all time (if you doubt me, I invite you to read and deconstruct them). His lyrics and beats are layered and complex, and exist on an elevated level of consciousness not seen since 2PAC and Rage Against The Machine. Since Chris Rene canít compete with perfection (Eminem), he must forge his own trail; e.g. heís more Nelly than Eminem anyway; a romantic rapper. Yes, lyrical rappers abound (Jay Z, Nelly, Drake) but not one of them is white, and that makes Chris unique; e.g., the Darius Rucker of romantic rap. I think L.A. is the perfect mentor, for Chris, Marcus, and Astro, but I wonder if Chris can win X factor. L.A. and the make-up geeks are doing all they can to make him pretty, broaden his commercial appeal, but, in order to win X Factor, Chris will need something heís just not likely to get; a ton of votes from middle-aged Americans who likely prefer a different type of music. Even L.A, will acknowledge that middle aged television viewers will not form the nucleus of Chrisí target audience. In addition, Chris is flawed and there are several squeaky clean and more likable options to choose from. So, in the end, L.A. and Chris will need to walk a delicate balance; decide which is more important; a runner-up with his future, identity, and street cred intact, or, a rich winner stripped of a true self. Yes, I wish he could sing and rap better, but he is very charismatic; he has the right look; he has the right sound; the right face, the right body type. In short, he is the perfect pop prototype, and in my opinion, the only contestant likely to fetch a positive return on a five million investment.
    2. Marcus Canty. He is a Bobby Brown clone but for those of us who knew him before he spiraled out of control, Bobbyís was a very successful and enviable career. I know L.A. loves Bobby Brown and comparing his young protťgť is meant as a compliment, but I just donít think thatís the way to go. Marcus is an average singer, but innately musical, a terrific dancer, and a born entertainer. His greatest strengths are his glorious youth and effervescent love of life. L.A. has been spot on with song selection for Marcus; e.g., Car Wash and Every Little Step fit him like a glove; very entertaining, but he canít win the competition doing that. Marcus is a kid and lacks artistic sensitivity; so has trouble negotiating his way through heavy ballads like KCI and JoJoís beautiful All My Life or Iím Going Down. I love Christinaís You Lost Me (one of my favorite songs) but the lyrics describe a foreboding loss and hysterical grief brought about by a cheating lover. In short, its message is decidedly grown-up and depressing, so not right for Marcus; not a song youíd chose for a budding young teenage R&B romantic crooner. Worse, Marcus has neither the chops nor the musical sensitivity for a song like that. May I ask what was so wrong with Trey Songz and Drake, two brilliant young R&B singers, or, Miguel and Sammie? It's what I would have chosen for Marcus, since it is the only R&B path that lasts. The very heart of R&B is loving and/or losing and always will be. So while I applaud L.A. for playing to his strengths, Marcus will need a lot more than dance songs and dedications to his mom to outlast and out-wit his elders. However, like Chris Rene, he does has the right vibe, the right look, the right face, and that long, thin, ranging physique that is apparently an absolute necessity these days. There is huge potential here if you have the time, capital, and patience to reap the reward, but too risky for $5M. I do like him and love watching him perform. He seems like a great kid.
    3. Lakoda Rayne. Theyíre gone now but I think they have real potential as a contemporary country pop girl band. They donít sing well, but they are fun, beautiful, lovable, endearing, and loaded with charm. They entered the competition without an identity and it took Paula a bit of time to find a home for them. As a result, they squandered precious time in the early rounds and never fingerprinted a performance with a lasting memory. I think Landslide and You Belong To Me fit them like a glove, but ballads and heartache is not what they do best. Though not unique, there is a scarcity of girl bands in country music, and none currently on the charts, so thereís a void they can exploit, should they decide to accept it; e.g., the Spice Girls of country music; something this conservative genre has yet to see. Itís a bold and risky career move but promises huge rewards from an equally huge risk. I will miss Lakoda Rayne; the camera loved them. I had hoped they would stay awhile.
    4. Melanie Amaro. I have not connected with this singer, and I have tried. Sheís probably the best technical singer left in the competition, which is why I ranked her here, but in my opinion, her success on X Factor is due more to a technically sublime but unmatched cover of Beyonceís Listen, as well as the perceived wrong suffered at the hands of Simon Cowell. I will probably get blasted for saying it but I think Simon was right the first time round. Sheís a good singer but lacks artistry; thereís no soul, passion, or heart in what she does. She does not project her lyric very well and rarely emotes. Even the technically accurate Listen was without soul and R. Kellyís The Greatest never received the attention it deserved; very robotic and surgically stripped of gospel soul. I think sheís a good kid, likable, and engaging, but in my opinion, also a bit too reserved and conservative for pop superstardom. Surprisingly, R&B is definitely not second nature to her. In short, Melanieís the pride of every mom and dad, but that doesnít necessarily translate to superstardom. Still, the pieces are there; she clearly can sing. There are times when she actually looks like a pop superstar as well. If Simon can somehow convince her to connect with her audience; let us in; become one with us; engage and share with us, maybe this could work. I donít think Iíve ever seen a contestant more in need of a stage persona and/or alter ego (ala Beyonce) than this kid. Without a make-over, I wouldnít invest $5M in her career. Sheís an A&R project; frankly, Iím just not convinced she understands the game; is actually willing to play the part.
    5. Josh Krajek. Like Leroy Bell, he is a true artist but an average singer with limited range, so lacks the vehicle to bring that artistic temperament to life. Like Leroy, Josh always picks the right song, but then hijacks the melody to the point of obscurity. His niche, if there is one, is rock music. Foo Fightersí The Pretender was easily his best work to date but even that was incomplete. Josh is not a teenager; is not an addict; he is a clean slate. He symbolizes everything we admire about average working class American males. I wouldnít invest $5M in his career; as I donít think his music has a home or a loyal target audience, but, he, more than any other X Factor contestant, personifies the highly valued American Spirit and American Dream. He is relatable to the silent majority, the adult voting bloc, and it wouldnít surprise me one bit if America rewarded him with a $5M contract. If forced to pick a winner, it would be Josh.
    6. Rachel Crow. Iím not sure where Simon is going with this young contestant. Rachel is probably the most likable contestant on the show. Blessed with a beautiful soul and an enviable lust for life, she is magical. She reminds me of a Disney character on television or in theater. I think she will be a great singer one day; but her time has not yet come. Sheís simply too young. She sings by note, on key and on melody, but has not learned to become one with her music. She sings without passion or purpose, and nothing Iíve seen thus far suggests pop superstardom to me. And Rachel, little one, Victory is a much better song than I Believe. The judges are experts; they know more than I do. Simon is the finest talent scout in the world of music, but Iím just not seeing it. Rachel is not a pop superstar; not yet, so I wouldnít invest $5M in her. Likability and raw talent can take you only so far; in the end, itís always about the money.
    7. Drew. Another of Simonís young singers. Sheís not a great singer either and looks and acts nothing like any of the successful contemporary young female superstars that frequent the top of the Billboard charts these days. Sheís feisty too; and like Astro, is not likely to react well to the bottom two. But kids this young are blameless innocents. They havenít lived long enough to perfect people skills or court a voting public. What we know and accept as artistic preference and personal choice is seen as something very different by the very young. They see rejection. Her best work was Demi Lovatoís Skyscraper, but that was left unfinished and emotionally unexplored. I love Demi Lovato and spent years defending her talent, even when others didnít. Sheís playful and irritating at times, but a magnificent singer; a very stylish balladeer; a wonderful caresser of lyrics, and a very precocious artist. Drew, although likable and lovable, is not there yet. Sheís another project; in my pinion too big a risk for a $5M investment. I am a die hard R&B and Hard Rock fan, but listen to all forms of music. Iím guessing L.A. does not?
    8. Astro. Easily the most creative contestant on X Factor, as Iím sure heíll tell you, if asked. Astro clearly understands rap; he gets it, and he good at it. Kris Krossí Jump was fun. I like that song so I enjoyed Astroís interpretation. He also did a good job with Diddyís Iíll Be Missing You (definitely not a rock song). But Astro is simply too young for hardcore rap like Eminemís Lose Yourself. I couldnít stop laughing; all I saw was a little kid trying to do manís work; didnít believe a word of it. As Iím sure L.A. knows, itís been done: Kriss Kross, Lil Romeo, Lil Bow Wow, Soulja Boy, etc. Honestly I think Astro should be more like them, as I think Eminem and 2PAC are better let alone. So if Astro is indeed a precocious talent, how did he end up here at #8? Thatís easy. Heís just a kid, sure, but heís also spoiled, an egomaniac, and unlikable; unwilling to compromise. Talent, when commercialized, requires a target audience, and this kid is too unpredictable to risk a $5M investment. How can one be sure he won't do something to alienate his fans? Get upset and walk out of studio? Take his marbles and go home? Nope. Heís a head case. Finally, the X Factor demographic is not likely to award this title to a rapper. In my opinion, rap is clearly a legitimate art form. How can it not? It has given us with two of the best lyricists of all time; Eminem and 2PAC. But many Americans do not share this view. Thatís okay. All of us are entitled to our opinions; our artistic preferences, and our personal choices; and even if we disagree with them, must always accept and respect their choices without fail.

Best Investment: Chris Rene
    My pick to win: Josh Krajek
    Best Performance (so far): Purple Rain (Stacey Francis)
    Best Judge: Paula (my favorite Idol judge of all time). How could you guys send home all of her groups?
    Steve: Heís all business. You donít need to worry about going over with Robocop at the helm.
    X Factor Show: I like it but honestly, I think the talent on American Idol is better. I read the trades and understand the demographic; I understand the need to increase the numbers in the 18-36 market, and I respect the voting public, but why so many kids and dudes? How is it that four knowledgeable musicians scoured America for talent and ended up with so few adult females? Címon judges!
    Last edited by liedenfrost; 11-24-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Thanks Liedenfrost. Extremely insightful, as usual. I may not agree with everything you said, but I did agree with a lot, and some of your points were very enlightening and thought provoking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Simon didnt look worried. He was up against DWTS finale as well

That's what I was going to say. It's a holiday week and they were up against the finale of the most-watched reality show in America; not even Simon can compete against Maksim.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    That's what I was going to say. It's a holiday week and they were up against the finale of the most-watched reality show in America; not even Simon can compete against Maksim.
    LOL no its Derek he really likes

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Welcome!! Liedenfrost! Glad to see you here, your opinions are always interesting and thought- provoking.

But I am gonna have to say I disagree with most of your post, and that is unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by liedenfrost
    She’s a good singer but lacks artistry; there’s no soul, passion, or heart in what she does. She does not project her lyric very well and rarely emotes.
    The same thing was said about Carrie Underwood. She has come a long way since Idol, and is probably one of the top concert sellers. Given the right people, I believe that Melanie could also be on top of the charts. She could/should be marketed as the next J. Lo/Beyonce. Not Mariah or Whitney.

Drew. Taylor Swift is very popular with teens. Beiber is popular with teen girls. Drew is their hybrid baby. haha, kidding. She doesn't have the greatest voice, but I think that she is relatable and very marketable.

Josh. He is in a great position to win. Great for him and his family. Except he doesn't stand out from the previous Idol winners. Just another talented guy with a guitar. I think he could win this, but how many people will continue to buy his records?

Marcus. If I were LA, I'd get him set up with Usher's people, not Bobby Brown's.

Chris. Umm, no one is gonna be as good as Eminem. If you are, probably not going to try out for a reality TV show. Street cred and all, YO.

Rachel. TV Show and singing. She is very talented. Very likeable. I could see her as a personality on TV, not a touring act.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123