+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: 11/17 Results Show *** SPOILERS ***

Re: 11/17 Results Show *** SPOILERS ***

I'm not sure it was entitlement or ego. I was feeling the same way, until I saw the tears. Then I had to stop and realize that this is just a young kid and right at that moment he was feeling rejected by everybody. When he said he didn't want to perform for people who didn't want to see him, that was the whole story to me. I could see myself behaving that way at is age, if you don't like me I don't care! But you really do care. You also have to realize that he has been getting nothing but huge praise from the judges / coaches / mentors (whatever they are), and then to find himself in the bottom two? He was probably crushed. I hope L.A. gives him some encouragement, but not so much over the top praise as he has been getting. He is definitely talents, although I don't care for hip hop, and I think he can have a career if this show doesn't crush him.

I really think the age limit it too young. I'm glad they put in the "over 30s" because Josh and Leroy are my favorites (possibly because I am also in the "over 30" category), but I would like the lower limit to be maybe 18 at the youngest. These kids just don't have the emotional maturity to handle all the ups and downs, or to realize that a lot of it is staging and done for ratings (like leaving the kids til last so they can get the tears).
    NFL1 and Babbred like this.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

Well said AcookerTV.

It would have been interesting if Simon did send Astro home because then it would have been a tie and we would have seen who was really the bottom person.
    If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

FORT Fogey

All issues from the results show aside, I was surprised to see the kid in the bottom two. With all the praise he got from the judges, the BT was unexpected. I personally do not like rap.... and apparently a lot of main stream America who watch the show do not either.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

I dont see them as exploited, Toddlers and Tiaras( I saw once and only once) I consider them exploited.

If the kids on the x factor want to be in this profession, and if not the x factor, they will find other ways. They just need to learn the ups and the downs.Its harder for younger children or teens..but this isnt a kind industry.
    jmho
    bee stung lips likes this.

Astro got mixed messages from the judges. He needs some wise advice so he can recover and use it for life.

I'm on the fence about the kids. I can see how the parents might feel compelled to put their kids in the contest if they are very good, like Rachel AND the reward is 5 million dollars. Will the experience harm the child? I don't know. Will the harm the child experiences by being on the show be worse than living without basic needs like a roof over your head, proper food, clothes, higher education, etc. ? I don't know. I can honestly see how this opportunity may only come along once in a lifetime and if they miss it, they may never get another chance. The show could be cancelled, before their kids turn 18 years old.

I'm not defending their choice to put kids on the show, but I can certainly understand it. Poverty can make them do things they might not do otherwise.
    It's also distrubing that often boatloads of money, bring boatloads of trouble. Hopefully, if a child wins, there will be a trustee to help spend the award on the child in a wise fashion. I'm sure there are laws about that is now handled.

I was expecting to see Astro arrogant after reading here first, then watching the show. I didn't see arrogance last night. I wouldn't have understood his statement that he didn't want to perform either and I'm glad Simon asked him why. His feelings were hurt for sure, but he said he didn't want to perform if the audience didn't want to see him perform. He did apologize through his tears.

LA needs to coach him on the fact that his genre isn't going to appeal to the masses, but not to let that get him down. He will be picked up by someone, and those that like rap are going to buy his records and go to his concerts.

As far as kids performing, kids have been performing way long before this ... Shirley Temple, Judy Garland, Natalie Woods, Liz Taylor, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder (he was 12 when he made Fingertips), etc. This is merely another a platform to get them noticed and signed.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post
    I'm not sure it was entitlement or ego. I was feeling the same way, until I saw the tears. Then I had to stop and realize that this is just a young kid and right at that moment he was feeling rejected by everybody. When he said he didn't want to perform for people who didn't want to see him, that was the whole story to me. I could see myself behaving that way at is age, if you don't like me I don't care! But you really do care. You also have to realize that he has been getting nothing but huge praise from the judges / coaches / mentors (whatever they are), and then to find himself in the bottom two? He was probably crushed. I hope L.A. gives him some encouragement, but not so much over the top praise as he has been getting. He is definitely talents, although I don't care for hip hop, and I think he can have a career if this show doesn't crush him.

I really think the age limit it too young. I'm glad they put in the "over 30s" because Josh and Leroy are my favorites (possibly because I am also in the "over 30" category), but I would like the lower limit to be maybe 18 at the youngest. These kids just don't have the emotional maturity to handle all the ups and downs, or to realize that a lot of it is staging and done for ratings (like leaving the kids til last so they can get the tears).

You pretty much summed up what I was thinking. When Astro first did his shtick, "Do you want me to perform?" I thought maybe he was working the crowd. Then I thought he was being incredibly arrogant. Then I saw the tears and I thought, "Nope, he's being a typical pre-teen."

I work in a high school, and you wouldn't believe how immature even 17- and 18-year-olds can be. It's even worse when you're a middle schooler like Astro. As I told my mother, "Up to now, the biggest disappointment he's probably had was not getting his favorite toy for Christmas. Then the whole world starts telling you what a genius you are, how talented you are, etc. Of course he was going to have dreams of being the next Justin Bieber. Then BAM the party's over, and so of course he's going to throw a tantrum and cry. Typical 13-year-old." Like somebody said here, you just knew that Astor really wanted to say, "Well, fine, then! If you don't like me I'm going to go play with somebody else!" and stomp off the stage.

Oh my gosh, I hate the fact that they allow kids on this show. They started that with the British version just when we left, and there was a huge outcry in Britain. I wish there would be an outcry over it here in America. These children are simply not ready for this kind of attention. I hold Simon firmly responsible for this since he is the one who built this into his shows. Of course some parents are going to be lured by the prospect of riding on their children's wealth and push into this. It's their job to be responsible and say no, so hold them in responsible right behind Simon.

As far as kids performing, kids have been performing way long before this ... Shirley Temple, Judy Garland, Natalie Woods, Liz Taylor, Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder (he was 12 when he made Fingertips), etc. This is merely another a platform to get them noticed and signed.
    Shirley Temple may have been a sweet little girl, but in her autobiography she talked about how the studios back then could be mean to children. She mentioned nearly molested by one producer.

Judy Garland ended up being a drug addict because the studio execs pressured her mother into forcing Judy to take drugs for her weight so she would look glamorous like other actresses. She also suffered from life-long self esteem issues because, despite her voice, she was treated like (and sometimes called) the ugly duckling of the studio.

Natalie Woods ended up committing suicide, albeit as an adult. The night she did, however, she had had an nasty argument with her husband, so that Hollywood abounded with rumors that he had killed her.

Liz Taylor had eight marriages and drove one of her studios into bankrupty because of her constant delays over a bloated picture that had been designed just for her.

I don't know about any issues with Stevie Wonder. Maybe he was the exception.

Michael Jackson--enough said
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Sorry about the double quote above. I was on break at work and in a hurry.

Also, I need to amend something above. Natalie Woods died by drowning. At the time, the coroner ruled that it was accidental, fueled by alcohol. However, since she had had a fight with her husband, Robert Wagner, there was lingering suspicion about what really happened. All in all, not a very happy ending for a girl who first became famous as a teenager.
    Last edited by Babbred; 11-18-2011 at 04:53 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

It would have been interesting if Simon did send Astro home because then it would have been a tie and we would have seen who was really the bottom person.
    You know, I forgot his vote wouldn't have automatically sent Astro home. You are right - it would have been great to see who really got the fewest votes. I wonder if Simon was told somehow (earpiece, maybe?) and knew that Astro would have gone home if he voted that way. Or maybe he just didn't want to leave it to chance.
    Last edited by BuckeyeAddict; 11-18-2011 at 05:22 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast