+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 11/16 Live Show *** SPOILERS ***

Re: 11/16 Live Show *** SPOILERS ***

I'm watching, but not really loving this show. What is with all the bickering? Why is it okay for LA Reid to say "same old stuff" to other contestants when all his protege' Astro does is rap??? I really don't like the kid. But I am probably bias, it goes back to the auditions when he refused to participate. Said he didn't have to. I found it incredibly arrogant and think he should've been booted off at that point. If he's that arrogant at 14 what's he going to be like at 20 if no one sets him straight or he doesn't have to pay any consequences for his actions. And Nicole really should give better song choices. The only one that did really well was Josh and he picked his song.

The only two I liked last night were Josh and Melanie.

I do agree, that most did not sound anything like rock!

Not sure who will be bottom two, but expect Stacey to be there. I hope it's not Leroy, I do like him.

Thank you. Yesterday was a long day at work, so I was too tired to do a running thread.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    The judges are FINALLY offering critiques. It's not just a love-fest. So I'm liking that part better. But I FF'd through some of the performances and some of the judges' comments.

In order of appearance, which corresponds to their number to vote for them:

1. Leroy Bell, singing "We've Got Tonight" (Bob Seger). I thought it was OK, but not up to par with Seger.
    I still love Leroy, but last week was much better.

2. Rachel, singing "Satisfaction" (Rolling Stones). She made it R&B. It really sounded like 60's R&B to me. Just OK.
    Call me a prude, but I turned down the volume. Excuse me, but how is a Rolling Stones song appropriate for a young girl? I thought it was disgusting.

3. Chris Rene - don't know the song (a Bob Marley reggae song), FF'd through it. Just checked out the judges' responses. A couple of critiques about whether or not it was R&R.
    I like Chris, but this was so-so. And I don't care what LA or some magazine says, that was REGGAE, not rock.

4. Stacy Francis, "It's All Coming Back to Me" (Meatloaf / Celine Dion). Terrible, IMO. Not too favorable reviews by Paula and Simon.
    Won't even comment about her singing, and oh my gosh, did you see that diva pouting look she gave the judges while they criticized her? Complete 180 from how graciously Leroy handled his criticism. I swear if she sticks around I will not listen to her anymore.

5. Melanie, "Everybody Hurts" (REM). She slowed it down, sounded wonderful. Some critiques about it not being R&R, but I think it was mostly jabs from one judge to another.

Another big yawn of a performance. Now I see the comparison to Pia. Please, people, send her home quickly like you did Pia.

6. Josh Krajcik, "The Pretender" (Foo Fighters). What a performance! I didn't know this song, but he soooo rocked it! Judges gave him a standing O, Simon said he was "bloody fantastic."
    Best performance of the night, hands down, and the only performance remotely rock in nature. Whoo hoo! The only slight criticism I have is that I wish he would move around the stage more when he's pumping it up like that.

7. Astro, "Every Breath You Take" (The Police). I hate rap. FF'd through it.

He's actually growing on me. I was impressed last week with how hard they say he works, and unlike some contestants, you can tell he's passionate about his performances. He also seems to have toned down his arrogance. Maybe he just needed some sort of fatherly type in his life.

8. Lakoda Rayne, medley of "Your Love" (The Outfield) and "Go Your Own Way" (Fleetwood Mac). I was sort of rooting for them, but I didn't think it went too well.
    Good performance by their standards, and at least better than the snoozefest that was Melanie and Drew. I agree with whoever said that they've seemed to hit their vibe with country rock. I'd like to hear them tackle something by Martina McBride.

9. Drew, "With or Without You" (U2). REALLY slowed down. Too much, IMO. I liked her at first, but I'm getting tired of her style. She sounds like somebody (or multiple somebodies), but I'm not sure who. And LA thinks she sounds unique. I think she sounds copycat.

I agree, too slow. And I think she sounds boring. Oh my gosh, I was SO not impressed with her attitude, either. First the video of her childhood performances. "It was hard to receive criticism last week, because I've never received it before." Excuse me? And then how about that doozy, "I'll just listen to my fans" after the judges criticized her? I'm done with you too, sweetheart. The production values aren't the only things that are overblown on this show.

10. Marcus, "Piece of My Heart" (Janis Joplin). All right. Not bad, not great.
    I felt so sorry for Marcus, since he went on about his moral values and then had to crawl through those women's legs. I hope LA doesn't do that to him, again. Other than that, I actually liked his performance. Like I told my mother, he was one of the only ones (other than maybe Josh) who looked like he was enjoying himself. Simon (?) was right; Marcus may not be the best singer, but he's a great entertainer. I loved how he crossed genders with that song and made it unique to him.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
    I'm watching, but not really loving this show. What is with all the bickering? Why is it okay for LA Reid to say "same old stuff" to other contestants when all his protege' Astro does is rap???
    Because rappers rap and singers sing, that's why. By your theory, the singers would be expected to come out and do a rap song on any given week. Not going to happen, nor should it. It's not a matter of Astro only rapping, because he's a rapper. It's a matter of singing or rapping the right songs every week. Songs that challenge each of them, yet keep them true to who they are.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

The host of this show needs to go! He is beyond bad.
    mustang03gt likes this.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
    The host of this show needs to go! He is beyond bad.
    I really want to like him. But he is pretty stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    I really want to like him. But he is pretty stiff.
    And his pauses are soooooooo long. And he repeats himself alot.... Here we go again...let me wait 2 minutes.....

I was watching Josh's Wednesday night performance again (for about the 7th or 8th time) and was reminded that he used sign language just before they cut to commercial. I know some letters, but he was too fast for me, even when I tried to use slo mo. I did a little looking around, and found out he signed "Vote Josh."

I would really like to like Lakota Rayne, but they do seem to suffer from an identify crisis.

How do you think they would do with a country slant, like Miranda Lambert style music. This is a cute tune by Miranda and a band she plays with (Three girls.) It's called Hell on Heels.

Hell on Heels - Pistol Annies (live debut w/ lyrics) - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I would really like to like Lakota Rayne, but they do seem to suffer from an identify crisis.

How do you think they would do with a country slant, like Miranda Lambert style music. This is a cute tune by Miranda and a band she plays with (Three girls.) It's called Hell on Heels.

Hell on Heels - Pistol Annies (live debut w/ lyrics) - YouTube
    I think you have a very good idea for them. The country music industry would probably welcome them with open arms. Not sure what The Dixie Chicks are up to these days, and it's possible LR would be construed as a DC clone, sort of. That's who they remind me of. But I think that's their best shot. I wonder if they will keep trying to become successful as a group, or if they would go back to trying it as soloists.

I love that song, Hell on Heels. If they could find a song like that, might be interesting. I doubt they could get clearance to do that one because it's just out new, but something where they each take a stanza and harmonize on the chorus would be more interesting to me than harmonizing the entire song.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast