+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Top 17 Performance Night *** SPOILERS ***

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Top 17 Performance Night *** SPOILERS ***

I'm starting over. I've had a lot of difficulty with the other thread.

Looks like everyone from the same group will be performing before going to the next group.

First up, the boys.

Astro opens the show. I don't like his style of music, but he actually was pretty decent. Judges loved him. I believe the name of the song was "Jump," but I don't know it. Sounded original.

Chris Rene is next. Oh, my ears. Sorry Chris fans, but he was awful. Judges were polite. Didn't recognize the song.

Phillip Lomax is next. He sang "I'm a Believer." I really like Phillip, but it seemed Vegasy. I blame the song and the arrangement. Judges were nice. Believe it or not, Simon called it cabaret - and I have to agree. I think LA threw him under the bus (although I'd keep him over Chris. Don't believe LA will).

That leaves Marcus. He sang "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me" (yes, the Culture Club song). I dunno. Kinda weak in my opinion. Lots of bad notes. I guess his neck is on the line too. Judges seemed to like him a lot - even Simon.

Re: Top 17 Performance Night *** SPOILERS ***

LA had to eliminate one guy already. And as predicted, he canned Phillip Lomax. BOO!

Next are the groups.

Stereo Hoggz opens up with "Try A Little Tenderness." I kind of liked it. The judges did too, and Simon gave Paula a big compliment.

The Brewer Boys are next, playing guitars. Singing George Michael's "Faith." Oh, it's a medley. Also singing Hall & Oates' "Rich Girl" country style. Not bad. I've seen worse (not too long ago). Mixed reviews from the judges, but not raving.

InTENsity is next. I don't recognize the song. Oh, wait, there it is. "Footloose." Not as Disney-fied as last time, but yeah, it still has a little bit of that flavor. Judges liked it (even Simon), but I wasn't impressed.

Last but not least, Lakoda Rayne. They're singing "Come On Eileen." Is it 80s night??? I've been FFing through a lot so maybe it is. These girls sort of remind me of the Dixie Chicks. Judges really like them.

No big surprise - Paula eliminated The Brewer Boys.

Over 30s are next.

Dexter starts it out, rocking to "I Kissed a Girl" - and I kind of liked it! He still seems to be channelling other rockers, like maybe Mick Jagger a little. It still was a fun, decent performance. The judges seemed to feel it was a guilty pleasure.

Next, Leroy Bell. I don't know this song, but he sounds good. Very nice, although it sort of reminds me of the AI coronation songs, just a little. LA said he would have given him a better song, but he thinks he should already be a star. Simon said he wishes he could be his mentor, because he feels he could make him a star. (Sort of a slap to Nicole!).

Next is Stacey. She is singing a George Michael song - "One More Try." I did not like it at all. Bad notes, IMO. But LA loves her. Simon didn't like the song choice or clothing.

Last but not least, Josh. I think the song is "Forever Young" and it's almost a capella. I would not have chosen it for him because it's so slow, although he's really delivering. The judges loved it, love him. Simon said he's the contestant he fears most. Phew! I think he's safe!

Big, tough decision for Nicole. The other 2 categories were easy choices.

Dexter is gone.

I am batting zero on my predictions!

Hopefully at least Simone is gone.

Now for the girls.

Simone starts off, singing "Just Be Good to Me." Mostly chanting it rap-style, but missing a lot of notes when she does sing. LA was pretty scathing - mostly towards Simon. Same for Nicole! After slamming Simon, they told Simone they loved her. Didn't understand that.

Rachel is up next. She really is cute, but I'd rather others go on instead of her. The song is a mix of "Baby" by Justin Beiber and The Supremes' "Baby, Where Did Our Love Go." I think she's having problems hitting notes too. Not my cup of tea. Judges love her.

LA and Nicole seem to be pretty PO'd with Simon. Or maybe it's just for show.

Up next, Drew, singing "What a Feeling" from Flashdance. I like her makeover, not that she really needed one. I don't really care for the arrangement of the song. Rave reviews for her, and LA and Nicole said they felt they had to compliment Simon, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about!

Tiah's next. "Sweet Dreams" by The Eurythmics. Weird arrangement - almost goth. Her voice is almost drowned out by the background vocals and music. Not a strong voice at all. Ha! Nicole said Tiah and Simon were a good match, and Simon did not like that at all.

Now for Melanie. She's singing Whitney, "I Have Nothing." I heard some bad notes, but most of the time she sounded lovely. The crowd went nuts, and the judges didn't have a bad word to say.

Simon is having a problem eliminating his two.

End of the road for Simone and Tiah. Miracles do occur!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    I'm starting over. I've had a lot of difficulty with the other thread.
    Holy mackerel, you weren't the only one. Every time I came here this evening it would jump around and not let me post. Thank heavens things have finally calmed down.

Ok, hubby and I were out for most of the evening. We walked in just as Drew sang about the last minute of her song. Our reaction was both immediate and simultaneous--"What the heck is that?" Maybe we'll change our minds when we watch the whole thing tomorrow, but as of now we hated that arrangement of the song. We also didn't like her makeover. I'm sorry, but I thought she looked vaguely trampish with her hair all piled up that way. As I told hubby, she looked like a little girl trying to imitate her mother.

And then it got worse. What in the heck was that??? That arrangement sounded like a herd of elephants on Valium stomping around the stage. If it hadn't been for his praise afterwards (which I completely did not share), I would have thought Simon was deliberately trying to sink his contestant by giving her a horrible arrangement. And as a side note: Tia, honey, you did not look sexy at all. I don't know how to describe your look and attempted sexiness/pouting, but it sure didn't work. Thank you, Lord, that Simon had the sense to get rid of her. On second thought, if he had had sense he never would have put her through over Melanie, or that other girl who went up against Tia last week. That was just plain stupid.

I really, really hope that the rest of this night was better.

And finally, I'm sorry that Dexter is gone, because I really liked him. I do feel sympathy for Nicole, however, because that was a tough category, since they were all talented.

Not sympathetic for Paula, given the lousy choices she made. I wish that she would have chucked InTENsity. However, since the Brewer Boys were next on my hit list, I'm glad that she at least picked them.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast