+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Top 17 Performance Night *** SPOILERS ***

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: Top 17 Performance Night *** SPOILERS ***

To answer Jammy Joe, I believe we start voting next week.

I assume everyone noticed that look-that-could-kill glare Nicole gave Simon after Tiah's performance? Last night, I was thinking it was because she was sore about his jabs about how the other judges were not doing right by their contestants. However, the more I think about it, the more personal it appeared - especially combined with her snide comment about Simon and Tiah being made for each other. And then his change of expression showed how much he did not appreciate that attack. Very unusual for Simon to show a reaction like that. It seems like he usually lets things like that roll right off him. I may be reading too much into it, but I can't help but wonder what's going on here. Simon never got married - did they break up? Is he having a fling with Nicole? Or Tiah? I feel like the neighborhood gossip right now, but I'm curious what others might think.

FORT Fogey

There were some odd things last night. I guess we are used to live AI with Ryan moving everything along almost seamlessly. I did notice some jabs between LA and Simon and then from Nicole...the "made for each other" was strange. I thought Nicole was very out of sorts when she had to give her line-up.

I forgot that the marriage never took place. He broke off with the long time girlfriend only to find the hair/make up girl from AI and plan a marriage.....but poof, no marriage and nothing in the tabloids.

I turned it off before the girls came on, but of the rest of it the only part I enjoyed was the over 30s. The jury is still out on whether I keep watching this show, because I just don't see anyone other than Josh and Leroy who interest. Maybe Drew because I liked her previously, but haven't seen her peformance for last night yet. I still say 4 judges are 1 judge too many.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

I'm watching the show now on my DVR.

What is up with these big production numbers? Poor Philip. I really liked him in the auditions, but he was sabotaged by this number. That whole routine was like a Super Bowl halftime spectacle, too cheesy by half. I will miss you, Philip.

Didn't listen to the kid rapper. Call me Scrooge, but seeing children whose life ambition is to be famous just irritates me. I also skimmed through Chris because rap music just doesn't do anything for me. He seems like a nice guy, though, so I hope he does well.

Marcus sang pretty well, but the background dancers were too distracting. He didn't need them.

Winner for the Boys: Marcus

Lovin' me some Stereo Hogzz! I'll forgive the rap because of the great harmony and choreography. Like somebody said, they're the only legitimate group. Anybody else love that sultry look the leader had at the end of the song? Tiah, honey, THAT'S how you do sexy.

The BB's actually aren't that bad, but they're not spectacular. If Paula hadn't eliminated them, they would have gone quickly.

I wanted to be fair, so I listened to InTENsity. Nope, nothing's changed. I still can't take them seriously. Disney's calling! (I will say, though, that this arrangement was really good.)

Lakoda Rain weren't bad, but they weren't great, either. If the Hogzz get eliminated before Rain or Ten, then it will be a crime.

Winner for the Groups: Stereo Hogzz. Who else?

I liked Dexter, but I wasn't particularly fond of that song. It just felt weird. I kept wanting to say, "So you kissed a girl. So what?"

I liked Leroy during the auditions, but this performance was just bleh for me. I hope he does better in the coming weeks.

Staci has a lovely voice, but what was up with the feathered jacket? Was she channeling Diana Ross?

Josh--oh my goodness, Simon was right. Best performance of the night, and the only one I rewound to listen to again. It gave me goosebumps. (Once again, though, what was up with the distracting background dancers? Why couldn't they have let that beautiful performance speak for itself?)

Winner for the Over 30's: hands down, Josh. However, I liked Staci's voice and Dexter's stage presence.

Simone: yuk. What else can I say? Just feels so phony. I want to go take a bath now.

Rachel: A 14-year-old singing Justin Bieber? Really? I felt like I was watching somebody's private home video. Sorry, Simon, but this is one American who didn't want her to go through.

Drew--lovely voice. However, this arrangement still bores me to tears. Somebody took one of the sexiest songs ever and turned it into a lullaby.

Couldn't bring myself to watch Tia again, and Melanie was so great I didn't need to.

Winner of the Girls: Melanie, followed closely by Drew.

As for the judges' comments, I can see why Nicole would have been ticked by Simon's critique of Leroy. That was pretty mean to basically say she was a lousy mentor. I would have a few barbed comments, too. As for the Tia look, Nicole might have been ticked off that Simon wasted everybody's time by putting her through to begin with. Again, I probably would have had a nasty look after both Tia's and Simone's performances.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I've been watching and have been disappointed. Everything seems forced and disjointed. The earlier shows were just an AI retread... And it isn't getting much better.

I was sorry to see Dexter go. I love Lakota Rain. The Tia mess was just crap

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

The production quality was really pretty amateurish. I mean, sure, they were long and obviously rushed for time but Steve Jones (is that the host's name?) did a lousy job of hosting. I'm not a huge Ryan Seacrest fan by any stretch but after seeing XF last night I appreciate Ryan's hosting abilities soooooooo much more.

Yes, The X-Factor USA is a new show... for us. Considering it has been running in the UK for years means the producers should have this format down cold. It should run like a well-oiled machine but sadly, last night, it did not. I still am no fan of Nicole Scherzinger in anything she does at any time (though admittedly she has a decent singing voice and is rather pretty) and wish they had not cut Cheryl Cole from the judging panel. Gotta admit, I do love me some Cheryl Cole. Love, love, love her!!! LA Reid has tremendous credibility - still can't figure out what he is doing on a TV show, regardless of what kind of TV show. Paula is just such a twit it's unreal. It's ok until she opens her mouth but as soon as she utters a word she destroys it all. I'm not sure she can string together two relevant sentences into a cohesive statement. Simon Cowell is the best part of the show for me. I don't love him, that's not even up for debate, but he's the best part of the show.

As for the contestants... I was on the Josh Krajic love-train from jump street and nothing has derailed it for me. Drew? Can't figure out the love-fest. I hated... hated everything about her performance last night. I felt bad for Phillip Lomax... talk about outside of his genre/comfort-zone/element. I understand wanting to show a different side to an artist but it was like a total set up. There was no way he could come in anything but last among the other guys who were given much better opportunities to shine last night. Dexter was horrendous to me each and every time he was on the screen. Great back story but for me it all ended there. Dumb to put him thru if you ask me. Leroy Bell is one I like quite well, time has been good to him, he's got wisdom, maturity, a great voice... and must be dying his hair and beard to have no visible grey! I don't care for any of the groups, really. Cannot stand Stacy Francis and was thrilled to see stuck-up, I-can't-remember-the-lyrics-but-I-know-I-am-so-talented-and-look-so-good-they'll-put-me-thru-[/b]anyway[/b] Simone get the boot. Tia's got problems as a singer but hey, so do a lot of successful, produced artists... the girl does have stage presence and confidence that's for sure. Rachel is cute, has a great voice and has a fabulous future ahead of her. Great personality and yes I agree she could do well at acting. I like her quite well.

Anyway... I'm on the Josh Krajic love-train and hope he does VERY well
    BuckeyeAddict likes this.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by ibot2much View Post
    There were some odd things last night. I guess we are used to live AI with Ryan moving everything along almost seamlessly. I did notice some jabs between LA and Simon and then from Nicole...the "made for each other" was strange. I thought Nicole was very out of sorts when she had to give her line-up.

I forgot that the marriage never took place. He broke off with the long time girlfriend only to find the hair/make up girl from AI and plan a marriage.....but poof, no marriage and nothing in the tabloids.
    I finally did a little poking around, and found a report that Simon's fiance (if she still is) moved to the "girlfriend graveyard." She had been living in the same mansion with him, but within the last few months moved to another of his homes where his previous gf, Terri Seymour, moved toward the end of their relationship. Reportedly in an interview, Simon was asked if he was still engaged, and he said he wasn't sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M View Post
    The production quality was really pretty amateurish. I mean, sure, they were long and obviously rushed for time but Steve Jones (is that the host's name?) did a lousy job of hosting. I'm not a huge Ryan Seacrest fan by any stretch but after seeing XF last night I appreciate Ryan's hosting abilities soooooooo much more.

Yes, The X-Factor USA is a new show... for us. Considering it has been running in the UK for years means the producers should have this format down cold. It should run like a well-oiled machine but sadly, last night, it did not. I still am no fan of Nicole Scherzinger in anything she does at any time (though admittedly she has a decent singing voice and is rather pretty) and wish they had not cut Cheryl Cole from the judging panel. Gotta admit, I do love me some Cheryl Cole. Love, love, love her!!! LA Reid has tremendous credibility - still can't figure out what he is doing on a TV show, regardless of what kind of TV show. Paula is just such a twit it's unreal. It's ok until she opens her mouth but as soon as she utters a word she destroys it all. I'm not sure she can string together two relevant sentences into a cohesive statement. Simon Cowell is the best part of the show for me. I don't love him, that's not even up for debate, but he's the best part of the show.

As for the contestants... I was on the Josh Krajic love-train from jump street and nothing has derailed it for me. Drew? Can't figure out the love-fest. I hated... hated everything about her performance last night. I felt bad for Phillip Lomax... talk about outside of his genre/comfort-zone/element. I understand wanting to show a different side to an artist but it was like a total set up. There was no way he could come in anything but last among the other guys who were given much better opportunities to shine last night. Dexter was horrendous to me each and every time he was on the screen. Great back story but for me it all ended there. Dumb to put him thru if you ask me. Leroy Bell is one I like quite well, time has been good to him, he's got wisdom, maturity, a great voice... and must be dying his hair and beard to have no visible grey! I don't care for any of the groups, really. Cannot stand Stacy Francis and was thrilled to see stuck-up, I-can't-remember-the-lyrics-but-I-know-I-am-so-talented-and-look-so-good-they'll-put-me-thru-[/b]anyway[/b] Simone get the boot. Tia's got problems as a singer but hey, so do a lot of successful, produced artists... the girl does have stage presence and confidence that's for sure. Rachel is cute, has a great voice and has a fabulous future ahead of her. Great personality and yes I agree she could do well at acting. I like her quite well.

Anyway... I'm on the Josh Krajic love-train and hope he does VERY well
    I agree with just about everything you said, and am so happy you are also a fan! I would love for him to take the whole thing!

It's kind of funny (and sad) how everybody seems to have noticed what LA did to poor Phillip. LA didn't fool anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post

It's kind of funny (and sad) how everybody seems to have noticed what LA did to poor Phillip. LA didn't fool anyone.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking that. The whole time he performed, I kept thinking, "What the heck is Phillip doing performing this crud?" Like Tia's, it was so bad it just made you wonder if the mentor was setting up his contestant to fail. That really ticks me off, because I would far rather listen to Phillip than that idiotic child rapper. Guess what, LA? There are listeners over the age of 12, and we'd far rather spend money on quality music than drivel.

Marlena said:

Thank you. I was thinking along the same lines but didn't know how to articulate it. The whole show last night just seemed so tacky and overblown, like some old-time variety show. Even Josh's performance had those totally worthless dancers in the background. "Amateurish" just about sums it up.

And yeah, Jones is a nice guy, but he has no personality. I loved Carson Daly on The Voice because he didn't try to be the center of attention a la Seacrest, but still managed to inject some personality into his role.

I still am no fan of Nicole Scherzinger in anything she does at any time (though admittedly she has a decent singing voice and is rather pretty) and wish they had not cut Cheryl Cole from the judging panel. Gotta admit, I do love me some Cheryl Cole. Love, love, love her!!!
    I don't know enough about Cole to say, but she seemed better than Nicole. I'm pining for the old UK version when Sharon Osborne was the female judge. She was not only feisty, but she had credibility because she had been Ozzie's manager for years.

As for the contestants... I was on the Josh Krajic love-train from jump street and nothing has derailed it for me.
    I'm on the love train, too! He was far and away the best performer last night.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast