+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Top 16 Reveal Discussion Thread *** SPOILERS ***

Re: Top 16 Reveal Discussion Thread *** SPOILERS ***

[QUOTE=Babbred;4390187]Again, my mouth fell open. It wasn't like she fluffed a word or two. She blew the whole flippin' song!!! Simon even said he was worried about her forgetting the lyrics again. That was just pathetic. QUOTE]

I can't forget that during the American Idol Hollywood week Simon was so adament that if they forgot the lyrics they were out, no matter how good they were otherwise. So now it doesn't matter?
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

FORT Fogey

I don't understand Simon's interest in Simone. She forgot the lyrics, doesn't seem genuine, and is a Nicole clone (especially after the makeover). Hmmm, maybe that's it, she's a marketable artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Misty8723 View Post

I can't forget that during the American Idol Hollywood week Simon was so adament that if they forgot the lyrics they were out, no matter how good they were otherwise. So now it doesn't matter?
    That's a great observation. If this had been AI, they wouldn't have even let her finish the song. They would have thrown her off the stage. Pathetic, Simon, pathetic. She had better step it up and prove that Simon's trust was warranted, or he will have lost a lot of my respect.

Springmaiden said:

Hmmm, maybe that's it, she's a marketable artist.
    Yes, it's more about image now than anything else. Like somebody said here, the judges/producers are looking for "types" more than genuine talent. Sad, sad, sad...
    Last edited by Babbred; 10-19-2011 at 07:53 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    That's a great observation. If this had been AI, they wouldn't have even let her finish the song. They would have thrown her off the stage. Pathetic, Simon, pathetic. She had better step it up and prove that Simon's trust was warranted, or he will have lost a lot of my respect.

Springmaiden said:

Yes, it's more about image now than anything else. Like somebody said here, the judges/producers are looking for "types" more than genuine talent. Sad, sad, sad...
    Really? How many really great singers are there in the world? A ton. How many actually have huge careers .. not so many. Madonna certainly didn't have the best voice, yet she was huge. Lady Gaga sings great, but it was her image that got her on the map. Amy Whinehouse, rest her soul, again image. Justin Bieber, need I say more?

They are looking for marketable talent, one's that actually sell records. AI's season after season of putting crooner's to the top did not do well for them, how many winner's of AI actually sell records that compete with the top sellers? It's not all about the voice.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    I'm not sure if the judges/coaches, really had their pick. I have heard the selection is done by the producers and they pick certain ones not based on their talent, but for the rolel they will fill in the show. Like, the diva, the smart ass, the old pitiful person, the hip guy, the sexy young woman, etc. They have a formula they want to fill and it's done that way. I kind of believe it, since it makes more sense than believing the judges selected only on talent.
    You know, that would explain Paula's expression for 3 of the 4 groups she gave the good news to. She looked more like she was telling them they had terminal cancer. She only looked happy for Stereo Hoggz.

I have read elsewhere a lot of thumbs up for Drew. Really? I guess she sings as well as Taylor Swift, so I guess she'll go far. I think Melanie and Rachel are already my favorites. I really like them both. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.
    I thought Drew was fantastic in her audition. I can't remember what she did during boot camp, but I think I was pretty impressed then too. Was not so impressed when she was at Simon's house. She seemed more like a clone of many other singers, rather than the original she appeared to be at the beginning. I was surprised Simon thought she did the best at his house.

Oh, Simon picking a fifth girl in the end was so staged IMO. Please. Glad he did though. She is really good.
    I've been thinking that since late last night. First of all, why would the other judges be OK with him getting a 5th contestant, especially an extremely strong one? Aren't they all supposed to be wanting to beat each other? Wouldn't they all want a 5th contestant too? I think it was done for the shock factor - something for people to be talking about the next day. I have to admit it was a big shocker for him to let her go, of all people. If he had just chosen Melanie instead of one of the other girls, there wouldn't be much to talk about other than he chose pretty well (assuming he chose Melanie over Tiah or Simone).

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    You know, that would explain Paula's expression for 3 of the 4 groups she gave the good news to. She looked more like she was telling them they had terminal cancer. She only looked happy for Stereo Hoggz.

I thought Drew was fantastic in her audition. I can't remember what she did during boot camp, but I think I was pretty impressed then too. Was not so impressed when she was at Simon's house. She seemed more like a clone of many other singers, rather than the original she appeared to be at the beginning. I was surprised Simon thought she did the best at his house.

I've been thinking that since late last night. First of all, why would the other judges be OK with him getting a 5th contestant, especially an extremely strong one? Aren't they all supposed to be wanting to beat each other? Wouldn't they all want a 5th contestant too? I think it was done for the shock factor - something for people to be talking about the next day. I have to admit it was a big shocker for him to let her go, of all people. If he had just chosen Melanie instead of one of the other girls, there wouldn't be much to talk about other than he chose pretty well (assuming he chose Melanie over Tiah or Simone).
    Now if the show wanted to get ppl talking, they should've had Simon go back and choose Melanie (as he did) and then let one of the other girls go (preferrably Tiah or Simone). Now that would've been memorable!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe View Post
    Simon made some really bad choices. It should have gone this way:

Tora vs. Simone = Tora sings much better and has the X-factor
    Melanie vs. Tiah = no contest, Melanie is the best singer among the girls
    Jazzlyn vs. Caitlin = This is a toss up, but I prefer Jazzlyn
    Drew vs. Rachel = Drew is the better vocalist so she should make it as the youngest solo contestant, it's an either/or, can't take both.

Simone's choices were almost a disaster saved only by the fact he brought Melanie back.
    Like this pairing much better than what was aired. Let's face it, no one is going to win from the Groups Category, so Paula's stupid choices won't matter in the end. Simon had a point to prove taking Tiah, and that's the only reason he took her. Hopefully she'll leave early. Some of the singers put thru were selected b/c of their backstory ~ it helps viewers become attached and then they root/vote for their "favorite". It's obvious the best "singers" weren't necessarily selected in every instance; otherwise, we'd have the likes of Elaine, Caitlynn, Jazzlyn, etc. on the show.

It will be interesting to see what the mentors do with their categories. I expect to see Nicole's category improve and Paula's to disintegrate.

Sometimes performers can change over the course of a contest. Recall the girl with the great voice on AI, but once she started singing different songs, she seemed to always be the same and didn't have any real emotion? She was sent early and many were shocked, but she just didn't have it, even though her voice was great. I can't recall her name now.

I wonder if we will see the same thing happen in this contest. I think a good heart, personality and humility, will go far. Still, a dynamite vocal should win in the end. IT is a lot of money!

I really wonder about L.A.'s decision to pick the guy recently out of rehab. Being in this contest and winning this thing is almost a guarantee that his is going to relapse. You aren't supposed to make like changing decisions and disrupt your life when in the early stages of recovery, I have heard. I do wish him the best though.

I think there may be a couple of contestants that may not make it through the entire thing due to personal problems. I hope I'm wrong.

Sometimes performers can change over the course of a contest. Recall the girl with the great voice on AI, but once she started singing different songs, she seemed to always be the same and didn't have any real emotion? She was sent early and many were shocked, but she just didn't have it, even though her voice was great. I can't recall her name now.
    That would be Pia, and the tree in my front yard showed more emotion than her during her run on AI. When, thankfully, she was eliminated early, the producers were shocked--SHOCKED!--that we hick Americans didn't get her sophisticated taste. As one of my high school students would say, "Whatever."

I wonder if we will see the same thing happen in this contest. I think a good heart, personality and humility, will go far. Still, a dynamite vocal should win in the end. IT is a lot of money!
    This will be very interesting to see if we are wrong about these lousy choices. I'll say one thing right off the bat, though: I'm turning down the volume whenever that kid rapper sings. He does absolutely nothing for me, and I think it's a travesty the he was put forward ahead of other acts. Same thing for that group InTENsity.

I really wonder about L.A.'s decision to pick the guy recently out of rehab. Being in this contest and winning this thing is almost a guarantee that his is going to relapse. You aren't supposed to make like changing decisions and disrupt your life when in the early stages of recovery, I have heard. I do wish him the best though.

I think there may be a couple of contestants that may not make it through the entire thing due to personal problems. I hope I'm wrong.
    Great observation
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    I don't understand Simon's interest in Simone. She forgot the lyrics, doesn't seem genuine, and is a Nicole clone (especially after the makeover). Hmmm, maybe that's it, she's a marketable artist.
    That's exactly it. I hate her cocky attitude (same with the little rapper kid), but I do like her singing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234