+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judges' Homes Discussion Thread

Judges' Homes Discussion Thread

Watching the show as I post this.

First girl Jazzlyn (?) put hubby and I to sleep. Honestly, I didn't recognize that it was the classic Gloria Gaynor song until halfway through. I thought it was elevator music until then.

Think this next guy has enough confidence? ("I want to be bigger than Lady Gaga. Nobody else has struggled like me. I know I'm sexy.") His voice is decent but his attitude puts me off.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Re: Judges' Homes Discussion Thread

At first I loved the Stereo Hogzz because they have great choreography. However, they're dominated by their lead singer. You can barely hear the other guys. Also, that might bode ill for the future. If they do go pro, then the lead might decide to go solo someday since he's the focus of attention.

Josh has a lovely voice, but when he hits the lower notes you can barely hear him.

2 Squared did pretty good, but I'm noticing an interesting trend. The groups are not really groups, but a lead singer and some back-ups. That could mean nothing, but I wish I there were a group that truly sang as a group.

Tim had a nice voice, but LA was right. I kept wanting more, too. He just seemed ordinary.

Rachel (the young girl) is nothing spectacular. If she makes it through, then I'm afraid America will vote for her based on cuteness. That's why I'm opposed to letting children compete on shows like this. Update: Simon called her "unbelievable." Terrific. He's probably besotted with her. I am not looking forward to seeing her perform in the live shows.

Leroy's up now (the oldest contestant). He sounds average. I'm so disappointed. I wanted him to knock it out of the ballpark because I really liked him.
    Last edited by Babbred; 10-16-2011 at 08:49 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    At first I loved the Stereo Hogzz because they have great choreography. However, they're dominated by their lead singer. You can barely hear the other guys. Also, that might bode ill for the future. If they do go pro, then the lead might decide to go solo someday since he's the focus of attention.

Josh has a lovely voice, but when he hits the lower notes you can barely hear him.

2 Squared did pretty good, but I'm noticing an interesting trend. The groups are not really groups, but a lead singer and some back-ups. That could mean nothing, but I wish I there were a group that truly sang as a group.

Tim had a nice voice, but LA was right. I kept wanting more, too. He just seemed ordinary.
    ARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!! I KNEW IT! For some reason my recording didn't start up, and I didn't realize it until 8:30. So I missed Josh. Naturally. The one I was most looking forward to seeing/hearing.

Thanks for the thread and play-by-play, Babbred.

Illusion Confusion only average, but at least they sang together most of the time. Also great choreography.

Tiger next (42). Man, people are just not bringing their A game tonight. He talked about being a wedding singer. Well, you can tell. It just felt like karaoke.

Marcus now. Nice soulful voice, but so far just ordinary.

The way things are shaping up, it's going to be hard for the judges--hard to pick the filler acts to build around their stars. So far, it's been the battle of the ordinaries. From their comments, it sounds like the judges are agreeing with me, except for Simon.

Tia is freaking out under the pressure, but Caitlyn says she doesn't feel sorry for her. You either rise to the challenge or not. I agree with Caitlyn.

I must say that Tia is performing better than the other girls so far. She must have gotten over her nerves. Good for her.

Christa now. She talked about how she was a child singing star for Disney, but gave it up because it was too much pressure. So now she wants to do it again? Marginally better than the other girls, but that's not saying much.

Intensity now. They're the second group formed from soloists, and they have a bunch of singers. They're more like a choir. One of the girls said they were so scattered that they were only able to start rehearsing a couple of days before.

What the....? There are so many of them they fill they tiny stage. They sound like they're singing a song from a Disney show. ("They call me"--followed by an intro and a chorus of "that's not my name"). Yuk...yuk...yuk. This is horrible. What were the judges thinking?
    Last edited by Babbred; 10-16-2011 at 09:27 PM.

Chris the former addict up now. Doing a rap version of "Everyday People." Loving it. Most memorable guy so far.

Melanie now. They're saving the best for last. Finally, a girl who can sing! She was terrific.

That was the last of the contestants. Judges' results next.

Oh, crud. They just ran a commercial that made it appear as if the results will be announced next week. That would make sense, since they'll want to draw it out a la Idol to milk it for all the drama possible.
    However, is anybody else tired of this by now?

Just endless scenes of the judges agonizing so yep, looks like we have to wait until next week. Rats.

The first show will be on Tuesday, but what about Wed? Fox is also showing the World Series, so when are they going to show the other Factor?
    Last edited by Babbred; 10-16-2011 at 09:57 PM.

Chris the former addict up now. Doing a rap version of "Everyday People." Loving it. Most memorable guy so far.

Melanie now. They're saving the best for last. Finally, a girl who can sing! She was terrific.

That was the last of the contestants. Judges' results next.

Oh, crud. They just ran a commercial that made it appear as if the results will be announced next week. That would make sense, since they'll want to draw it out a la Idol to milk it for all the drama possible.

Just endless scenes of the judges agonizing so yep, looks like we have to wait until next week. Rats.

The first show will be on Tuesday, but what about Wed? Fox is also showing the World Series, so when are they going to show the other Factor?
    I agree with you about Melanie, but Chris did nothing for me. It might have been the arrangement. The accompanying music drowned him out, IMO. I've read posts on other forums from people who really love him. Maybe it's just his style of music. Doesn't appeal to my taste.

There was at least one other singer who seemed to be overpowered by the background music also. Can't remember who it was.

The World Series starts Wednesday, and FOX is airing the games. I just checked the MLB's website, and even they don't know what time the games will be. Seems to me the World Series games tend to be at night, though. In any case, they're playing this Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday for sure (unless there are weather problems). If necessary, they remaining games will be on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

I found a recording of Josh's performance. I'm trying not to be biased - but he gave me goosebumps.

Did anyone count how many times we heard how hard these people have worked, or how BADLY they want or need this??? I really got tired of hearing that over and over again. I only sing for fun (and do it poorly), so I have no idea how difficult it is for people who try to do it professionally. I work hard at my job, and I have absolutely no chance of becoming rich at it. Is working at becoming a professional artist any harder than other jobs? I know some jobs do not require hard work. But many people do have hard jobs that are stressful, either mentally or physically - or both. To me singing is fun. But I don't work at it, so maybe the fun is lost when it becomes a job.

My favorites and/or favorite JH performances from each category:

Boys
    Phillip Lomax. Love this guy anyway. Some of it is personality, some of it is his smooth vocals. Interesting take on the song he did (wasn't he the one who got Rhianna's song?).
    Tim Cifers. I'm not a country fan, but I like his voice a lot.
    Marcus Canty. I like his vocals, although his latest performance was just average. No "WOW" factor.

Girls
    Melanie Amaro. She just blows me away.
    Simone Battle. I felt guilty about sort of liking her before, but I loved this version of "Help!" I feel pretty confident that she's not the first to do it this way, though.
    Drew Ryniewicz. Wasn't that impressed with her JH performance, but still like her from prior performances.

Groups
    I don't really have any favorites here. But I will say I did not like what InTENsity did. Sounds like it was straight out of a Disney tween show. (ETA - I guess I got that from you, Babbred, and you were spot on!).

Over 30s
    Josh Krajcik. Not sure how much of it is just because he's a hometown guy, but I do love his voice and singing style.
    Dexter Haygood. There's just something about him that makes me want to root for him. But he really needs to leave his imitations behind and just be himself.
    Tiger Budbill. He may be a wedding singer, but he's a good one. My guess is that he doesn't have that something extra he needs to make it big, though.
    James Kenney. Really liked his performance at the JH. Don't remember hearing him before this.
    Last edited by BuckeyeAddict; 10-17-2011 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    The World Series starts Wednesday, and FOX is airing the games. I just checked the MLB's website, and even they don't know what time the games will be. Seems to me the World Series games tend to be at night, though. In any case, they're playing this Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday for sure (unless there are weather problems). If necessary, they remaining games will be on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.
    My father, who loves baseball, says the games will start at 7 pm every night since both Dallas and St. Louis are in the Central Time Zone. I don't know where he heard that, but if that's true, then it's going to be a long wait until we find out the judge's picks. I don't know why they're airing the first half tomorrow night; it would make more sense to wait until the Series is over and pick up the show from there.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    I found a recording of Josh's performance. I'm trying not to be biased - but he gave me goosebumps.
    I'll try to see if I can catch it on YouTube.

Did anyone count how many times we heard how hard these people have worked, or how BADLY they want or need this??? I really got tired of hearing that over and over again. I only sing for fun (and do it poorly), so I have no idea how difficult it is for people who try to do it professionally. I work hard at my job, and I have absolutely no chance of becoming rich at it. Is working at becoming a professional artist any harder than other jobs? I know some jobs do not require hard work. But many people do have hard jobs that are stressful, either mentally or physically - or both. To me singing is fun. But I don't work at it, so maybe the fun is lost when it becomes a job.
    My cousin's husband used to be part of a band that did a lot of touring and even got a contract with a major label. They ended up being dropped without ever releasing the CD they recorded, and afterwards the band broke up. In retrospect, he says he's actually glad. He missed my cousin dreadfully since he was away so much, and his band didn't make enough money to keep up with expenses (by the end he said he and my cousin couldn't even pay their rent).

So yes, it's very hard to make it in this business. Most people don't realize that because of these reality shows. Even if you win one of them, that's no guarantee of success. When The Voice came on NBC, people here at FORT pointed out that 2 or 3 of those contestants had actually won other singing shows but then fizzled. And like I said in the other thread, the very first winner of the X-Factor ended up being dropped by his label and faded back into obscurity. And of course, don't get me started on American Idol.

Groups
    I don't really have any favorites here. But I will say I did not like what InTENsity did. Sounds like it was straight out of a Disney tween show. (ETA - I guess I got that from you, Babbred, and you were spot on!).
    I've been racking my brains, and it finally dawned on me. When I was a kid, there used to be a show called "Kids Incorporated." At the beginning of every episode, all the kids would be on the stage singing the theme song. At various points in the song, a kid would jump up from a crouching position. "K...I...D...S" That's what InTENsity reminded me of. I'm sorry, but I will never be able to take them seriously. And how in the world would you market a group like that? Stupid, stupid decision by the judges.

James Kenney. Really liked his performance at the JH. Don't remember hearing him before this.
    Maybe you haven't. They might not have showed him in earlier stages.

I guess I must be because I just now thought about it being on yesterday. Sounds like I didn't miss a lot.
    He was showing them contingencies when they showed him to the street - Harry Chapin

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast