+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The X-Factor 10/6 Discussion Thread

Re: The X-Factor 10/6 Discussion Thread

IMHO, Rachel and Josh are the front runners. I got chills when each of them sang. There was one other but I can't remember the name.

So how is the winner decided amongst the groups and over the whole thing?

I was disappointed that Nicole whatshername got the over 30's. Not a good sign...

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fan*addict View Post
    I agree....this sets up a Simon & L.A. Reid showdown...they have been "billed" as the best talent scouts..so it was obvious that they would get the "single" categories. It will be tough for a "group" to win based on voting styles of the general public. The over 30 group will struggle with " votes" as well; and would have done much better with Paula..I still can't imagine what Nicole has to offer ANY of the groups but we shall see....

I enjoy the format of this show it is a huge change from AI and I will be interested in seeing who makes the final cuts...will they be chosen for "talent" or for "tv appeal"...that will make the difference in these two shows....AI seems to choose contestants based on "audience appeal" and I am hoping that X Factor will choose based on TALENT
    Both LA and Simon are looking for someone commercial they can back. So talent, yes, but marketability is more than just being a good singer. They have to tap into their entertainer and have a style that stands out. I think Nicole will do just fine with the over 30 group. She has some excellent talent in there and they are hungry for a shot at this because of their age. I think she probably has the easiest group.

Paula with the groups is the tough one.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I don't like the woman who sang Summertime. I think she over worked that song and destroyed the beauty of it flowing effortlessly; too many trills. Simon did not join the standing ovation and I think he thought the same thing. He has reservations about her and will call her on that. I don't think she will make the final cut; Simon is looking for commercial and she does not fit that catagory.
    I'm glad to see somebody agrees with me. I have not gotten the adoration for her. They thought her audition was so wonderful, but I think her voice is kind of - I don't know - sharp? There's no warmth to her tone. And regarding Simon's response, don't forget that he absolutely loved Fantasia's version of Summertime. I'm not fan of Fantasia's, but Simon sure is or was.

I'm also extremely happy to see all the love for my hometown guy, Josh!!! I'm so proud! I only wish I'd been able to see him locally before this. I'd never heard of him before he auditioned. A DJ on a radio station I listened to the day after his initial audition aired said she hadn't heard of him either. I don't think obscurity will be a problem for him for a long, long time. At worst he'll pull in some big crowds locally for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by french dip View Post
    The before/after image of Josh from Columbus will be interesting to see.
    I'm also looking forward to seeing his "after" look. I'll bet some stylist can't wait to get their hands on him! The day after his audition aired, a local TV station interviewed him. He still looked scruffy at that point. A few days ago, the same TV station interviewed people and friends at a bar he used to play at. Josh was nowhere to be seen, which I took as a good sign! And it was!
    Last edited by BuckeyeAddict; 10-07-2011 at 05:12 PM.

1. The contestants are not going to live in the judge's houses. They're just going to visit for a couple of days while the judge has one last audition and whittles it down to 4 contestants.

2. In the three years we lived in Britain, a group never won the show. However, one season a group came in second, got a contract anyway, and went on to have a fabulous career. They ended up being more famous than the winner.

3. The over-30's have always been my favorite category. It's kind of irritating to hear a kid say "I've wanted this my whole life!" It's quite another to hear an older person who's really waited their whole life say it. It was all I could do not to cry when they were choosing this group last night.

As for marketability, a man in this group won the first season in Britain, and then fizzled out afterwards. However, there was nothing distinctive about him in terms of look or sound. He was just a nice guy who could hit high notes. With this current group, there's some real talent here. Dexter with his soul vibe, Staci with those diva high notes, Leroy with that mellow vibe...they all stand out and I think could be marketed successfully.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    1. The contestants are not going to live in the judge's houses. They're just going to visit for a couple of days while the judge has one last audition and whittles it down to 4 contestants.

2. In the three years we lived in Britain, a group never won the show. However, one season a group came in second, got a contract anyway, and went on to have a fabulous career. They ended up being more famous than the winner.

3. The over-30's have always been my favorite category. It's kind of irritating to hear a kid say "I've wanted this my whole life!" It's quite another to hear an older person who's really waited their whole life say it. It was all I could do not to cry when they were choosing this group last night.

As for marketability, a man in this group won the first season in Britain, and then fizzled out afterwards. However, there was nothing distinctive about him in terms of look or sound. He was just a nice guy who could hit high notes. With this current group, there's some real talent here. Dexter with his soul vibe, Staci with those diva high notes, Leroy with that mellow vibe...they all stand out and I think could be marketed successfully.
    Seeing as you're not an X-Factor newbie like so many of us, is there anything else you can share? Do the contestants play instruments, if they can? Is it a plus if they can dance (since they had a choreographer working with them)?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    Seeing as you're not an X-Factor newbie like so many of us, is there anything else you can share? Do the contestants play instruments, if they can? Is it a plus if they can dance (since they had a choreographer working with them)?
    I'm sorry if I'm bothering people by comparing it to the original. I just love this show so much that I want this version to be sucessful, too.

They certainly had instrument players in the other version. One season they had a rocker who played an electric guitar and came in 3rd. Another season they had a fabulous duo of two brothers, one of whom played the guitar. Simon compared them to the Everly Brothers and their rendition of "Still Don't Know What I'm Looking For" gave me chills. I don't know if they don't allow instruments here, or if nobody thought to bring one. I hope they do in the future, though.

I'm not sure about the dancing. We were in England from 2004-07, so my memories are a little hazy. I don't remember a group that was big on choreography.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Looking forward to next week.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I thought that 13 year old Rachel Crow was good, but not great. Yes, she's adorable, but not marketable. Listening to some of them perform in front of the audience, a lot of them sounded off key at times, used more throat than diaphragm. You can tell some of them need voice training badly. Rachel is young and definitely needs more vocal training. When I lived in LA, my roommate was a talent scout. We use to watch American Idol together. She had me not look at the performance and close my eyes and listen to the voice only. It's no wonder blind people can get a true sense of certain things in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    I'm sorry if I'm bothering people by comparing it to the original. I just love this show so much that I want this version to be sucessful, too.
    I can't speak for everyone, but you're not bothering me in the least! I'm interested in hearing how this show works versus other singing (generally speaking) competitions.

Thanks for your input! I too am hoping the show does well. Maybe by the time the live performances start up the viewership will pick up.

FORT Fogey

BuckeyeAddict, keep on with your information! I love to hear how this compares.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast