+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: The X Factor - about the show

Re: The X Factor - about the show

This show is like American Idol meets America's Got Talent except that the X actually gets you in.

FORT Fogey

I like the show. I like that it's not all about the look and the voice but also the entertainment value. I also like that contestants young and old can participate.
    Shoepie, JohnnyK and Fanny Mare like this.

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

I like it too. Out of the three shows mentioned, AI is definitely the worst (or at least the "least greatest"). AGT and X Factor (so far) definitely have a better format, entertainment value, and almost everything else.
    Shoepie likes this.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

So from what I've read, the top 32 that we have at this stage will be cut in half, to a top 16. It's 4 per group, which kind of stinks since IMO, the groups are a lot weaker than the Overs, the Girls and the Boys. But it is what it is. Then I just read that each group will be cut by 1 more, leaving 12. And that is actually happening this Sunday, real time (to be aired at a later date).

Correction on the previous statement. It turns out that was about the UK version. I don't think I realized these shows are running on almost the same schedule. The US version is a little behind. In UK, they're doing the live performances.

Shoot. I need to backtrack a little AGAIN! It sounds like the top 16 will be narrowed down to a top 12 at some point, and by the judges' choice. Maybe when they get to the top 12 they will start taking call-in votes. Anyway, the 4 judges were on Ellen on September 29. I just got around to watching it. Ellen asked Simon to explain what makes X-Factor different from AI. He said they're looking for a different kind of contestant, and mentioned the expanded age limit. Then he said this about the mentoring:
    "...there is a massive mentoring side that we've had from day one. I know The Voice put it on their show, but we started this show seven years ago, and the whole premise of this show was a judge will look after 3 contestants and do everything for them throughout the show. Hopefully they're going to get better because of that."

So - for anyone (like Babbred) who has seen The X-Factor overseas, how does this work? Who sings live - top 16, or not until top 12? When does voting start? It's possible this is new this year, too, because according to the article I read about the UK version having the judges each eliminate one of their group of 4, leaving them with 3, it was a surprise.

Tuesday (10/25) night's show is supposed to be a "live" show, but I think it will be only live in that the 17 will perform in front of a studio audience. And then, according to a FOX tweet:

"Breaking news! 5 of the 17 acts will be eliminated by the judges on 10/25. Find out who's out at 8/7C on FOX!"

So there WILL only be a top 12. I believe we will have the opportunity to vote at that point.

So, who does everyone think will be going home? Obviously Simon will be cutting 2. I'll betcha there is no way Melanie is going anywhere. I think that whole scenario was staged, either to get people talking, or to get more people passionate about Melanie.

I might as well take a shot.

Simon: Tiah (please!) and Simone
    Paula: Brewer Boys
    LA: Marcus (would prefer Astro)
    Nicole: Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeAddict View Post
    Tuesday (10/25) night's show is supposed to be a "live" show, but I think it will be only live in that the 17 will perform in front of a studio audience. And then, according to a FOX tweet:

"Breaking news! 5 of the 17 acts will be eliminated by the judges on 10/25. Find out who's out at 8/7C on FOX!"

So there WILL only be a top 12. I believe we will have the opportunity to vote at that point.

So, who does everyone think will be going home? Obviously Simon will be cutting 2. I'll betcha there is no way Melanie is going anywhere. I think that whole scenario was staged, either to get people talking, or to get more people passionate about Melanie.

I might as well take a shot.

Simon: Tiah (please!) and Simone
    Paula: Brewer Boys
    LA: Marcus (would prefer Astro)
    Nicole: Dexter
    I'll play:

Simon: Simone and Rachel (I only say Rachel because of having 2 of the 3 girls being 14 and under; and I don't think he'll cut Drew)

Paula: The large put together group (not recalling their name)

Nicole: Stacy (this is wishful thinking on my part; Elaine should be in that group)

LA: The rapper kid; or the big band singer; can't decide which. And can't remember either of their names.

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win View Post
    I'll play:

Simon: Simone and Rachel (I only say Rachel because of having 2 of the 3 girls being 14 and under; and I don't think he'll cut Drew)

Paula: The large put together group (not recalling their name)

Nicole: Stacy (this is wishful thinking on my part; Elaine should be in that group)

LA: The rapper kid; or the big band singer; can't decide which. And can't remember either of their names.
    I thought about Rachel possibly leaving too. Seems to me Simon said something overly glowing to her when he told her she was in, though, so I'm not so sure. I would love you to be right about the group - InTENsity. I'd also love you to be right about Stacey! But I doubt it - especially since she's the only woman and a lot of people love her. The rapper kid calls himself Astro. Phillip is the big band singer. I hope it is Astro, but I worry that it's Phillip. I like Phillip.

Looking forward to the show tonight!

I just heard on the radio that X-Factor finished #31 in ratings last week. Not good. By comparison, the worst AI ever did was #5, according to the same report. I don't know if that's for any given week, any season. That would be surprising to me.

I'm curious if people are just burned out on singing competitions? A DJ speculated that The Voice may have done in X-Factor by making it one singing competition too many. Instead of America being hungry for the next one, they've had enough for the year.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast