+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Work of Art II - 12/14 Show Discussion

Work of Art II - 12/14 Show Discussion

The 3 finalists are determined, using portraiture.

Feel free to spoil results, as the show has already aired on the East Coast.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Work of Art II - 12/14 Show Discussion

Good episode tonight. Buh-bye Lola!

FORT Newbie

Bye Lola. I won't miss your stepping in to add more negatives when someone else is getting the critic. I definitely won't miss the eye rolling or the tears. No more displaying every idea and hoping something works. Bye Lola.

yes, adios, Lola...I will not miss you or your constant need to write all about yourself on your artworks.
    you did not behave very well and, in my opinion, you were not that talented.

FORT Fogey

I really liked the challenge this week. I thought it was interesting to hear the stories people were telling the artists and how the artists attempted to work those stories into their art. I did think Young was very lucky to find his inspiration in the last twenty minutes of the time they had, however--and that the artist he happened upon actually had some talent (in fact, I thought his portrait was the best part of Young's portrait, which seems kind of unfair). Also makes me want to go to that town, as they had some very interesting shops.

I'm sorry to see Dusty go, just on a personal level, because he seemed like a nice guy who was viewing this as his one big opportunity, which may have been exactly what did him in at the end. I totally understand why they felt his work wasn't up to snuff this week, but I'll still miss him.

On the other hand, I'm thrilled Lola got shown the door. Talk about someone who did the same kind of piece over and over again--it's like she goes with the words thing because she's not secure enough in her ability to actually draw or paint or sculpt or whatever. Plus, I hated that she tried to throw Dusty under the bus during the crit, when it was pretty clear she didn't need to in the first place. She knew two people were going home anyway. Going after one other person wasn't necessarily going to save her--and Dusty did understand that the candy was going to slip before he put the piece up. He just wasn't sure how that might be viewed, but he hoped it would be viewed as it was.

Lola also rolled her eyes when Kymia was announced as the winner, which was rude, but expected. What I didn't expect was that Young did a little eye-rolling too, though it wasn't as bad as Lola's. Does he think he ought to win every competition? Really, his piece this week, while not bad, didn't seem as strong as some of his other work, and it's not as if Kymia's piece was awful. If he'd lost to Lola that would be entirely different--then he could have rolled his eyes all the way into the back of his head, because it would have been justified.

Given what they produced this week, I do think the judges got it right. I still think Young probably has the advantage going in, but Miles seemed to be the judges' favorite last season too, and then he blew it when it came to the final showing, so who knows?
    Shoepie, Moontat and Debb70 like this.

FORT Fogey

Tilden, I am following you around this morning "liking" your posts and find I have nothing more to add. Stop it!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Tilden, I am following you around this morning "liking" your posts and find I have nothing more to add. Stop it!

I'm sorry. I'll try to be more unreasonable and incomplete in future posts. Actually, I really need to get busy at something other than posting at this point or the entire day is going to get away from me....

Young took a one and half hour tour of a bed and breakfast rather than looking for a portrait subject? Cracked me up. LOL
    I liked his work okay, but thought he missed a good opportunity by not laying it out better.

I'm in the minority, but I liked Lola. She was such a little diva. I actually cringed at her most of the time, but I found her amusing in a sick kind of way. LOL She deserved to go. Her project of the currency reminded me of something I might do in
    6th grade for a project. Why would she think that was a good idea? I think she folded and was scared to go any further. THat's my take on it.

Dusty was a sweet guy, but IMO he lacks creativity and I don't think you can manufacture that. Still, he should do well with his artristic talents in some field.

I'm happy Kymia is in the finale. She's my (close to my hometown girl) favorite, so I'm rooting for her, though Young seems to be very strong. I think he is the favored contestant at this point.
    Shoepie and Endit like this.

Good show with half a good result. I wish Dusty had had time to re-do the portrait with the paper. It would have been slightly different than what he had been doing and I would have liked to see what he could do with it. Oh, well, Simon won't get to travel to KY.

I also think Young is the most innovative at this point, although Sarah will give him a run for the money. Kymia stepped outside her box and I hope she does more of that. Sort of looking forward to the finale. At least Lola won't be there.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

What were the aluminum tags representing on the work about the firefighter? I didn't get that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast