+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Work of Art II - 12/7 Show Discussion

Work of Art II - 12/7 Show Discussion

An episode that's called "Sell Out" has to be interesting...starting now on Bravo (East Coast).
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Work of Art II - 12/7 Show Discussion

Can anybody be so kind as to explain to me why Lola is even breathing?

That is one person that I absolutely do NOT care for.

I SO hope that this editing tonight means that she's on the way out.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

FORT Fogey

Personally, I think Lola is one of those people who need to get over themselves. Why would I care about her secrets? I certainly wouldn't pay for one. The woman who actually sold the most was thinking about what others would want--a picture of themselves, not her. Young was darn lucky he was paired with her, because on his own, he made less than $100. I think it's a little ridiculous she has to share the money with him, considering how much he's already won, and that she really carried him to victory.

I was disappointed in Dusty's work, but at least he had an idea, however poorly executed. Sarah didn't seem to have a clue, and her stupid feather headdresses looked like something a first grader would make, not to mention the fact that the whole project was a bit racist, as she kept referring to them as Indian headdresses. If she'd ever seen a real Lakota headdress, she'd realize they really can be works of art--and that her attempt to recreate them was embarrassing. I agree with the judge who said she shouldn't charge over a quarter for them.

I was happy that the judges recognized that handwriting is artistic. It makes me sad that penmanship is dying, and that most people in their twenties (at least the ones I see) don't use cursive writing at all, except maybe in their signatures. They print or type everything.

As a general competition, though, this week's show seemed to confirm my earlier suspicions: these artists don't think it terms of selling to anyone other than a gallery. I know people who could have outsold them all easily, because they realize that in order to make their living as artists, they have to come up with some products that are more affordable and easier for people to work into their lives and homes in addition to the larger pieces they might like to see in galleries. And their works for the general public are still very good, just smaller and more practical in scale and scope.

Oh, yeah, and I don't know what stores they had available to them, but I'm amazed no one thought of jewelry, unless none of them know how to make it. The other thing that would have worked well, if they could have made them, would have been buttons/pins. But underwear? Who wants to buy underwear on the street? Or tacky headdresses. Or naked photos inscribed with someone else's secrets (and I'm surprised Lola didn't get criticized for going with words over her work again, especially after they told her last week to knock it off).
    Shoepie, Duckyface and Debb70 like this.

FORT Fogey

[QUOTE=ness;4402277]Can anybody be so kind as to explain to me why Lola is even breathing?

Because even lizards have evolved past gills?
    ness and Shoepie like this.

FORT Fogey

[QUOTE=Tilden;4402357]
    Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Can anybody be so kind as to explain to me why Lola is even breathing?

Because even lizards have evolved past gills?
    Hysterical!

FORT Fogey

I liked this episode and agree with all Tilden has said. I knew that the street portraits would win. They were fabulous and a very nifty thing to have on your wall. Way to go!

I was surprized that most went with T-shirts. When I am in NYC I always stop at steet vendors looking for original art for my wall. I have some very nifty pieces.

Even though Simone thought the nude photo would sell the most I thought, never. Women don't want a nude girl on their wall, no matter what it says and men with partners or hopes of bringing a girl back to their apartment don't one either!

And what woman wants to wear a t-shirt with their boobs underlined with nipples? Everyone choked except the winner on this one.
    Endit likes this.

FORT Regular

I just really love this show. Lola is a mean girl, yuck. The clip with everyone crying was hysterical. I wish there had not been teams, what was the point anyway. They all had to do their own work, only the actual winner should have received money. Maybe the artist who sold the most and the artist the judges liked the best would have been a better split. I really hate teamwork, especially when they are down to six people. I get that at the beginning there are time constraints but with only six they should all be on their own.

The money should have been split between the winning team on a pro rata basis IMO to make it fair.

Is Lola the contestant who in the beginning told of her mother living with Al Pacino? Just curious. I think she is a bit mischiveous and that the producers may want to keep that around as interest.

I have been rooting for the girl who sold her signature. She is from Durham, NC a neighboring city of Raleigh, where I live. I hope she gets her creativity back soon.
    Endit likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fervidity View Post
    I just really love this show. Lola is a mean girl, yuck. The clip with everyone crying was hysterical. I wish there had not been teams, what was the point anyway. They all had to do their own work, only the actual winner should have received money. Maybe the artist who sold the most and the artist the judges liked the best would have been a better split. I really hate teamwork, especially when they are down to six people. I get that at the beginning there are time constraints but with only six they should all be on their own.

I agree with you about the teams. They really weren't teams, as they weren't working together on a single project or even two related projects. They might as well all have been working on their own. And yeah, either give all the money to the person who sold the most or at the very least, divide it on a percentage basis, so that if one person created 75% of the sales for the team, then that person gets 75% of the cash.

I loved it when someone--I think it was Dusty--commented that once one of them starts crying, there's an automatic chain reaction--and then they showed the chain reaction of tears.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I liked this episode and agree with all Tilden has said. I knew that the street portraits would win. They were fabulous and a very nifty thing to have on your wall. Way to go!

I was surprized that most went with T-shirts. When I am in NYC I always stop at steet vendors looking for original art for my wall. I have some very nifty pieces.

Even though Simone thought the nude photo would sell the most I thought, never. Women don't want a nude girl on their wall, no matter what it says and men with partners or hopes of bringing a girl back to their apartment don't one either!

And what woman wants to wear a t-shirt with their boobs underlined with nipples? Everyone choked except the winner on this one.
    It might have been more interesting if everyone had been told they had to do t-shirts (or some other form of street vendor art), just to see how they'd each handle working in the same medium, so to speak. I've mentioned this before, but there have been local shows here where everyone who entered pieces to sell had to create 3 x5 creations (or whatever size postcards currently are). It was amazing how different artists approached that challenge--there were oil paintings, water colors, sketches, even people who worked three dimensional pieces into that small a space. Plus, I don't think anything was over $50, so it was a chance for people who can't normally afford original art to buy something for themselves or as a gift. Oh, yeah, and they got to feature the work of a ton of local artists in a small space, and some of those artists were able to drum up interest in larger works as a result of someone seeing just a very small taste of what they could do.

Actually, that's another form I was surprised more people didn't think of--cards or postcards. They could have had a variety of original artwork cards and then inscribed them on the spot with whatever sentiment the buyer wanted. The woman who was doing signatures did something like that, but I thought she could have done more with the idea.

I also remain astonished that these artists seemed kind of offended to even have to do this kind of work. There are cities everywhere with artists promoting their own work at festivals or in particular areas. In old Quebec City I had a great time going down a street filled with art booths, and when I came back the next day, one of the artists recognized me and called out, "Oh, you've come back for the little nuns!" I had admired a drawing that depicted nuns outside the Ursuline convent, because it reminded me of the Catholic college I'd attended, even though very few of the nuns there were still wearing habits as the nuns in the picture were. Then he added that since I had come back, I got a special price and knocked five bucks off what he'd told me the picture was the day before (which wasn't that much to begin with). Not often you get offered discounted nuns--and yes, I bought it. I have a lot of stuff purchased in similar ways, whether locally here or in places I've visited. It's better than souvenirs that half the time aren't even produced where they're sold. Besides, it's fun to talk to the people who produced the art, and most of the artists I've bought from seem to enjoy talking directly to the people who buy their stuff. I don't get why this group seems to feel the general public has either no taste or not rarified enough taste to appreciate them. As I said before, they need to get over themselves and recognize that just because someone doesn't have enough money to buy a gallery piece doesn't mean he/she has no taste (and just because someone has the money to buy gallery art doesn't mean that person automatically has taste either).
    Endit likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast