+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Work of Art II - 12/7 Show Discussion

Re: Work of Art II - 12/7 Show Discussion

Lola bugs the heck out of me. I nearly gagged when she said she really didn't want to get naked for this but would anyway. Ha! She loved getting naked and the response it got. And who cares about her "secrets?" To me, Sara, doing the portraits, really showed what a good artist she is. Until this episode, I really had my doubts about some of their talent.
    The other Sarah's idea of dumb feathers would have been great for elementary school kids but who wants to buy those???
    I always like Dusty's ideas but he just never seems to execute them well enough.
    Shoepie and its_glinda_now like this.

FORT Fogey

^^^ I agree. Dusty's statement was boring, tired and so 70's. He missed conviction with this attempt at deep. He is so laid back that I find myself wondering where is the spark that accompanies artistic creation?
    Debb70 likes this.

I love this show too!

I totally agree that there was absolutely no point in having "teams" for this challenge. Each artist created and presented their own work - they didn't seem to work together at all. If they were doing teams, each team should have come up with one idea that they both worked to produce. Sarah should have won the entire prize money since Yun's undies were a total flop. Yun's undies had nothing to do with Sarah's caricatures.

The woman with the signatures never really seems to deliver with her art. She's not one of the "mean girls" but still, her work always seems to fall short. The signature trade seemed like a bit of a cop-out to me and last week's light box "key to the universe" was a big flop as well. I don't think someone can win this competition based only on intentions.

Lola really should have had a bikini wax. Apologies, but I can't be the only one who thought so! Fingers crossed that she goes home next.

Lola sure rolled her eyebrows when Kymia (signature girl) received praise for her work. Wonder why she's so against her. I saw it in more than just this episode.
    Personally, I didn't think the signature "art" was very good but I don't think like the judges do. Rarely, do I agree with them.
    Also, after watching the video at Bravo.com with Simone talking to Lola about her naked picture, I had to laugh at her saying how embarassing it was produce such a picture of herself. She LOVED the attention she got from everyone, particularly Simone. If you feel that is what will accomplish your best work, then stop pretending that you're embarrassed or shy. I so dislike hypocrites.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 12-10-2011 at 04:15 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Lola sure rolled her eyebrows when Kymia (signature girl) received praise for her work. Wonder why she's so against her. I saw it in more than just this episode.
    Personally, I didn't think the signature "art" was very good but I don't think like the judges do. Rarely, do I agree with them.
    Also, after watching the video at Bravo.com with Simone talking to Lola about her naked picture, I had to laugh at her saying how embarassing it was produce such a picture of herself. She LOVED the attention she got from everyone, particularly Simone. If you feel that is what will accomplish your best work, then stop pretending that you're embarrassed or shy. I so dislike hypocrites.
    If she was so embarrassed by selling naked photographs of herself, she could have done a drawing of a naked female figure that wasn't anyone in particular and written the secrets on that. Even if she based the drawing on herself, it wouldn't have been as realistic as a photograph. No one produces--and sells on the street--naked photographs of themselves if they're self-conscious about it. That's a load of drivel.

I think Lola started disliking Kymia more when Kymia objected--rightfully, IMO--to Lola encouraging the viewers of the street art to put the stickers she and Michelle were supplying on any of the other teams' work as well. As Kymia pointed out, Lola had no idea if that would damage the others' work if they tried to remove them, and the fact that they were stuck on the work of others before the judges had a chance to see everyone's work certainly could have affected the competition. Lola admitted that they all had a right to be bothered by that, but it was all part of the mischief based nature of her work--which to me, says she was more concerned about making a statement with her art than whether the competition was at all fair. Obviously, they all want their work to have as much impact as possible, but that impact shouldn't come at the expense of the work of others.

Did anyone think it was odd the way the show aired the unedited naked photo without blurring it or anything? I'm pretty liberal about things like that and I realize it was art, but still, I was rather surpirsed by it.

Yes, I was surprised too. There was a statement at the beginning of the episode along the lines of "Warning this show contains graphic material not suitable for all viewers" etc or something along those lines, which I think is usually not present for Work of Art.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Did anyone think it was odd the way the show aired the unedited naked photo without blurring it or anything? I'm pretty liberal about things like that and I realize it was art, but still, I was rather surpirsed by it.
    I was thinking about this and remembered that a few weeks ago when Kymia(?) did the photo of the water bottle between her breasts. I remember they showed pretty much everything. The VERY odd thing is that when they were showing them photographing themselves that was blurred out, but when it was in it's finished art presentation it wasn't blurred. I guess they can show it when it's 'art' and not the actual person? How bizarre is that.
    Endit likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12