+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jexter

Thread: Work of Art II 11/30 episode

Work of Art II 11/30 episode

I guess none of us cared too much about this episode!! IMO it wasn't very inspiring. Another big commercial plug for a car. I did like the winning piece, but really didn't care to watch all of them try to be inspired by the car and then scramble around for an idea. I didn't think I'd miss Sucklord but I kind of did He did seem to be viewed with affection from all the other cast members. That to me says more about him as a person than the personality we saw him showing off.

FORT Fogey

Re: Work of Art II 11/30 episode

I wasn't really crazy about any of the pieces produced this week, but I am glad one of the mean girls from the week before got the boot. I really wish it would have been Lola, however, and I'm equally glad she was told she has to stop doing the same thing over and over again. Her piece was like three completely separate pieces, and I'm beyond tired of her thinking that if she writes little phrases all over her art, that's somehow really impressive (especially since she needs work on her spelling). Unfortunately, I think they'll keep her around for the drama.

I did think it was funny that in the previews for next week, they were allowed to pick their own partners and Dusty and Young, who really didn't want to be paired together in the street art challenge, couldn't choose each other fast enough this time around. I like that they seemed to have forged some kind of bond with each other, even though they couldn't be more different. Or maybe they just figured they were the two sanest people there, so it was better to stick with each other.

Thought Dusty was a good sport for agreeing to make good on his promise to wear Young's very short shorts if they won their team challenge. He even had a good time with that, despite being embarrassed.

That's why I like Dusty. His tire tread phrases were closest to the mark as far as art goes...however, Young's robot was well thought out and I enjoyed his piece as sculpture as well. The girls? Meh.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I love this show! Glad I finally found this section.... Lola needs to go home next. Her work all seems very desperate and not at all creative.

Regarding the girl that went home - did anyone else think the other contestants purposely steered her wrong by telling her she should enter the car grill with the eyeballs and the sad car hanging from it? Had she entered her fogged up steamy car windows the end result might have been different. I was shouting at the TV, "NoooooOoooooo, don't listen them! Enter the windows!!!"

I still thought the "Key to the Universe" and Lola's pieces were worse than her car grille with eyes.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I love this show! Glad I finally found this section.... Lola needs to go home next. Her work all seems very desperate and not at all creative.

Regarding the girl that went home - did anyone else think the other contestants purposely steered her wrong by telling her she should enter the car grill with the eyeballs and the sad car hanging from it? Had she entered her fogged up steamy car windows the end result might have been different. I was shouting at the TV, "NoooooOoooooo, don't listen them! Enter the windows!!!"

I still thought the "Key to the Universe" and Lola's pieces were worse than her car grille with eyes.

I must have missed the part where the other contestants told her what to enter. I always think people should think twice about what their competitors tell them to do. I did groan aloud, however, when she initially started thinking about another artwork based on human innards. What is it this season with artists obsessed with the interior workings of human beings? It's like they're trying for the next great work of anatomy instead of the next great work of art.

I think the Keys to the Universe thing survived merely because it was an attempt at something, whereas the sad/happy car thing looked kind of last minute (which it was) and Lola's piece was just same old, same old from her. Actually, if Lola had stuck to using whatever the solution was that turned the car parts into a sort of fossilized version of what they started out as, and turned it into a mosaic, she might have had something. At least it would have shown she could try something else. But she's just indicating that she's a one trick pony. I hope she's gone soon. Her attitude stinks and her art is repetitive and, at this point, boring.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    That's why I like Dusty. His tire tread phrases were closest to the mark as far as art goes...however, Young's robot was well thought out and I enjoyed his piece as sculpture as well. The girls? Meh.
    I didn't mind the piece that won, but yeah, the bottom three were pretty meh.

Dusty at least came up with something decent when he decided he had to go a different way, and the robot, while not a terribly new idea, was interesting to look at. The way Dusty displayed his piece also made a liar out of Lola. When she was told part of the problem was the way she installed her pieces, she claimed they don't have enough time for that, they're not really allowed to use different levels etc. Dusty, I'm sure, wasn't given any more time than anyone else to install his piece, and he used different levels.

I'll be interested to see how he and Young work together again next week. I did notice that they were using t-shirts as their media, so to speak, which, if you're trying to sell something on the street, makes more sense than Lola's giant naked picture of herself. Can you imagine trying to carry that home on the subway? Actually, I think a challenge where they had to make something that was functional--that could be worn or used for a practical purpose--would be interesting. There are plenty of artists who make beautiful jewelry or clothing or bowls or baskets, for instance.

There's also a local art competition that allows artists to create whatever they wish, so long as it fits on a 5 inch by 7 inch canvas. It's amazing what people can do with such a limited format, and it also allows for people who can't afford--or can't display--a huge canvas to buy art. It might be fun to see what they could do with that.

FORT Fogey

I love this show too, but this year's crop of artists isn't nearly as good as Season 1's.

I thought Michelle would go to the end, and I can't believe she lasted over Lola. Both were brats last week but Michelle's art is so good that she is a big reason why I tune in. Even though she put the worst of her 3 attempts in the gallery, I enjoyed seeing her other attempts too.

The show will lose steam for me because few of the remaining artists are as interesting. Kymia is now my bet to go to the end.
    Last edited by Jexter; 12-05-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    Debb70 likes this.

Like I've stated before, I hate this show...but of course, that doesn't stop me from watching. And to be honest, I only hate it because I'm trying so hard to be an "Artist," going to oil painting classes for a long time, really working hard to develop skills and to produce something worthy of being "Art" and then I see these people.
    I just have a big problem calling some of them artists. Like "Human-Body-Innards" girl. And the one who "traces" pictures. A definite no-no in the art world...at least, I thought so. But that's my personal problem.
    I liked the "skinned" car seat work (if I had to choose any of them) and Dusty's tire concept. Even the robot was interesting.
    But what I really didn't understand was that the girl who went home (happy/sad car) was carrying the "fogged window" creation when they were told to stop and bring their work to the gallery room. She must have changed her mind, gone back and exchanged it for the happy/sad car. Or it was just bad editing.
    (I still hate this show....someone won $25K for gluing foam to a muffler and called an Artist...but that's just me.)

+ Reply to Thread