+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Work of Art II - 11/16 Show Discussion

Work of Art II - 11/16 Show Discussion

Starting now on Bravo, 9PM ET.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Re: Work of Art II - 11/16 Show Discussion

The good news: Dusty (in partnership with Yung) finally won something. And the Sucklord finally had to pack up his Star Wars sabers and go home to his comic book collection.

The bad news: I now really, really dislike Lola and Michelle.

I was a little worried about Dusty and Yung at first, because they struggled to come up with a street art idea that appealed to both of them. But instead of giving up or blaming each other, they just kept talking until they figured out something significant they had in common, not only with each other but with pretty much everyone else on the planet. Their piece was graphic and meaningful, and the people on the street really got into it. I'm glad they didn't listen to Simone and kept the idea of using the steps to allow the viewers to add their reactions to the thought bubbles--and I liked that they made the thought bubbles with chalkboard paint, so they could conceivably be erased after a time and new people could add new thoughts (or those who'd already viewed it could come back and get something new out of it, because of what someone else had written--and if anyone got stupid and decided to be rude about a fairly sensitive subject, his/her comments could be erased easily without disturbing the piece as a whole).

Speaking of rude, Lola needs to grow up and get over herself. I'm so glad the judges weren't impressed with Lola and Michelle's piece, because it really didn't succeed as street art and it came off as juvenile and uninventive. It also really aggravated me that they were encouraging their viewers not just to add stickers to their own piece--which was their original idea--but to "tag" the work of others before the judges had even seen it, and then, when the viewers kindly understood when the other artists explained that tagging the work could affect the judges' opinions of it, Lola and Michelle tagged the other piece themselves. Lola even admitted in the crit that the other artists had every right to be annoyed with her, but she was just extending the idea of "naughtiness" at the heart of street art and their piece. Yeah, sure you were. That's why you didn't go after the work of Sucklord (on whom Lola had an inexplicable crush) or Dusty and Yung (because she didn't want to go up against them or deal with the likely outburst from the crowd if she'd attached a tiger penis sticker to a work about becoming/losing a parent). She's not "naughty." She's a self-involved coward, who went after the people least likely to go after her, in an attempt to damage the competition's chances. In fact, she and Michelle did that earlier too, when they commandeered and monopolized the scanners when the other women wanted to use them. It's like they were the mean girls in high school who took some perverse pleasure in making the lives of other girls miserable but sure weren't going to try that stuff on guys who might call them on it (or even other girls who would call them on it). I hope they both go soon. I'm not overly impressed with their art, and after tonight, I'm sure not impressed with them. If you have confidence in your own abilities, you don't have to belittle or damage the work of others to move on in the competition. They're just very lucky that Sucklord and his partner got scared and tried to be more conventional this time out and failed miserably, though why they thought conventional would be a good way to go with a street art challenge is beyond me.

I agree with everything you wrote. I'm so happy Dusty is recognized with a win. It was really dicey for the two opposites and I'm so glad they found common ground and put their interactive discussion on the wall.

Lola doesn't always get what she wants. Her fascination with male genitalia seems so junior high in the context of their creation. And that they acted like junior high school girls well...they could have made a statement of what goes on behind the wall, but the judge was right in that it was a 70's interpretation. Actually, I have a story from 1968, but, I'm not telling.

Happy for Dusty and Young. Keep it going, guys.

I liked Sucklord, The, but his concepts have not been for this show. If he had built out or painted a large intergalactic alien instead of a tiny mouse caught in the maze, it might have made a more interesting statement.

Next week's car part challenge is reminiscent of a Project Runway challenge of a few years ago. Except instead of fabric, they have the hard metal parts to work with - should be interesting for sculptures, I hope.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

I wish they'd shown more of how Dusty and Yung (or Young or however he spells it) came up with their idea. I bet their discussion regarding the similarities between becoming and losing a parent are so dissimilar and yet similar would have been a lot more interesting than all the mean girl interaction. I like that they're so different but pulled together to figure out something they had in common and a way they could present it that would work with both their artistic styles. But I guess the producers figured we were only interested in controversy.

The Sucklord bothered me because he seemed so adolescent for someone in his forties. Grow up already. I couldn't figure out why the women were crushing on him, until I realized the only two other men still in the competition were Dusty (married father) and Yung (gay). Even so, I don't think I could crush on him--I'd rather talk to the other two guys than crush on a middle schooler trapped in a grown man's body.

I couldn't figure out why Lola somehow thought throwing handfuls of glitter into a subway car and dashing out constituted art. Seems more like a prank to me, and not a particularly nice one. If someone on the train was heading somewhere serious--a job interview, a business meeting etc.--he/she might not appreciate having glitter tossed toward them. It's harder than one might think to get rid of glitter--it tends to stick endlessly to anything it lands on. I also couldn't believe her mother didn't get smacked for just going to the front of lines because she didn't like to wait. That had to irritate some people to the point of speaking up.

Sucklord and Lola/Michelle just made really bad choices for the challenge, and the other two teams managed to make something meaningful and more graphically arresting. I'm really glad Dusty/Yung won, though, because their piece obviously struck a chord with those on the street, which is what street art should do. Loved how total strangers started talking to them and each other about it so passionately.

I also really hope Dusty makes good on his promise to wear Yung's short shorts, because they won--I think it's great that they didn't really seem to know each other and yet got close enough during the challenge to joke around with each other like that. I hope they keep that up, because being so different, they could probably learn a lot from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I couldn't figure out why Lola somehow thought throwing handfuls of glitter into a subway car and dashing out constituted art. Seems more like a prank to me, and not a particularly nice one. If someone on the train was heading somewhere serious--a job interview, a business meeting etc.--he/she might not appreciate having glitter tossed toward them. It's harder than one might think to get rid of glitter--it tends to stick endlessly to anything it lands on. I also couldn't believe her mother didn't get smacked for just going to the front of lines because she didn't like to wait. That had to irritate some people to the point of speaking up.
    Lola's glitter attacks are the kind of "clever" that junior high girls love. Her fascination with the male member is also incredibly juvenille in that she feels the need to depict it and talk about it, ad nauseum. It's like how young girls think they're being adult and provocative by wearing overly revealing clothing....like being naked is so clever and they invented it.

It would be bad enough if Lola was one of the more talented artists in the competition, but she's obviously not. Her work is childish and quite derivative, imo. I hope the judges call her out for her attitude....right before she gets the boot!

I'm not Dusty's biggest fan (his piece last week was just too obvious), but I enjoyed his work with Yung this week. Sucklord was the right choice to go home. I haven't been impressed with any of his work this season. He's an example of how someone's persona can get them notoriety without being a big talent. I've seen some of his work outside of the show and I was not impressed.

I really have not been as impressed with this group of artists as I was with the artists from last season.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I'm more impressed with Dusty in terms of the rest of the contestants this season. I don't know that I would be as impressed if he were competing against others, though I did like the crayon self-portrait he came to the contest with because it was reflective of his career as an art teacher for kids. I guess I also like him because he seems like a more reasonable human being than a lot of them. I think he and Yung both showed their maturity by the way they worked with each other this week, even though they were kind of an odd couple pairing.

I agree that Lola is stuck in middle school. The very fact that she kept referring to her work as "naughty" sort of spoke to that. Adults don't really use that word all that much about themselves. She's also just so ridiculously self-involved. The fact that she thought others had the right to be ticked off by her tagging their work but she chose to do it anyway says that. If you know it's going to tick others off and you presumably wouldn't want others treating your work that way before it was judged, then just don't do it.

Sucklord strikes me as the kind of person who thinks you have to have that kind of personality to get your work noticed, so he's worked on the whole attitude without giving much thought to working as hard on his skills or insight. He's another one caught in the middle school mindset.

I don't know if Michelle is as juvenile as the two of them are or if she's just a dewy-eyed follower, because she got much more actively "mean girl" when she was praised by Lola for doing so.

I really hate that so many of the contestants seem overly juvenile or incredibly emotional. It just feeds the stereotype that "artistic types" can't do anything remotely practical--or feel that the rest of the world is somehow beneath them or just isn't creative enough to understand them and their muses. Heck, sometimes what we understand is that you're just not all that great an artist.

+ Reply to Thread