+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work of Art II 11/9 Show Discussion

Work of Art II 11/9 Show Discussion

Starting now on Bravo, 9PM ET.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Re: Work of Art II 11/9 Show Discussion

While I get why the judges liked the piece that won (and that they'd naturally be inclined toward a work of art about a dissident artist), I thought Dusty's piece should have won, given that part of the prize, so to speak, was for the artwork to be displayed at the New York Times building. The piece that won isn't easily adaptable to a work place like that--I kept picturing people having to move around those bundles of newspapers or forgetting they were there and tripping over them, because they had their arms full of something or were in a hurry. We've had to move a couple of pieces of art that were donated to my workplace from the original positions in which the artists wanted them placed simply because they ended up being impractical (e.g. one piece did indeed look great as the light from the window came in behind it, but putting it there meant you could never open the window, which didn't make much sense). I don't blame Dusty for looking disappointed either, especially since it didn't stop him from congratulating the winner. He keeps coming in second so much that it must be discouraging

As for the three losing pieces--I'd have sent them all home. I have a feeling Sucklord keeps surviving being in the bottom three, because they think he makes for good television. I just think he needs to grow up.

Oh, and I also felt that because Dusty's piece wasn't obviously tied to one particular story, it might speak to more people and could be displayed indefinitely, whereas the winning piece would end up dating itself rather quickly. I liked that Dusty was working outside his comfort zone too, as he said he usually doesn't go to the dark side so much. Maybe that's why I tend to like his stuff. He's not into death or body parts like some of the others. Nor does he appear to think that milliners make weapons (honestly, how stupid is that woman? Did love the comment about the discount yacht emporium, though).

All in all, I liked the challenge. I just wish Dusty had won--and I wish they'd had someone from the paper as a guest judge who could have discussed the fact that this was to be a piece of public art in a busy work place. Sometimes I think the judging panel thinks the whole world runs like an art gallery.
    Last edited by Tilden; 11-10-2011 at 12:24 AM.

I was shocked when Sucklord didn't go home. I thought his piece was the biggest failure of the imagination, and the execution was lazy. Plus, he didn't even believe in the message he knew that it was sending to viewers. At least the other two artists could stand there and say that even though their pieces failed to convey their messages, at least they knew what their messages were. I thought Sarah (is that her name) was the safest of the three of them, and yet she went. The utter subjectiveness of this show can be a bit much to take at times. (Well that and producer interference to keep characters with wacky names on the show longer)

FORT Fogey

I agree that Sucklord sent entirely the wrong message--his work implied that the Times itself was involved in the dirty money, so to speak, and I think the only real reason the Times was used to bind the stack of bills is that he knew the newspaper had to be involved somehow. But then, I've disliked him since he insisted on being called the Sucklord. It's just way too pretentious--and far too juvenile for someone 42 years old.

Was I not paying attention to the ending? I thought the African-American guy went home for the stupid door thing that looked like a high school art student would make and think was "deep."

I wish the next challenge was a "can't be about death, dismemberment, or anything else morbid" challenge. Or the "can't use black, white, or grey" challenge. Or the "mustn't be obviously self-reflexive" challenge. Anything that would force some of the contestants who think they're so terribly creative out of the boxes they've created for themselves. I thought it was amusing that Dusty said he was a little uncomfortable doing something so depressing, because his art was usually happier than that. Now there's a thought--art that isn't considered deep just because it's depressing. It's not like everything has to be rainbows, balloons, and sunshine, but it doesn't have to be devastation, death, and depression 24/7 either.

You're right -- I was hoodwinked by the fake-out at the end where they pronounced her safe after a long pause, and then sent Gold Door Guy home. My bad.

I still think Sucklord's piece (and his performance all season) was way worse than either of them. His antics don't add to the show; if anything, having a stock reality character like him on WOA sends the wrong message to viewers who thought that this might be a different kind of reality comp show.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    You're right -- I was hoodwinked by the fake-out at the end where they pronounced her safe after a long pause, and then sent Gold Door Guy home. My bad.

I still think Sucklord's piece (and his performance all season) was way worse than either of them. His antics don't add to the show; if anything, having a stock reality character like him on WOA sends the wrong message to viewers who thought that this might be a different kind of reality comp show.
    It sends the wrong message, period. Nothing he's produced has been especially interesting, artistic, or original. He's a poseur. But then, I think a lot of the contestants over the past two seasons have been picked more for how their personalities will play on television, because certainly not all artists are as full of themselves as some of the contestants have been.

I think Sucklord should have been sent home the first week. Really, he should have been sent home as soon as he insisted on calling himself Sucklord.

I hate this show. Why don't I stop watching?? Because I think of myself as an artist so the subject matter appeals to me but I dislike so much of it.

This episode: the work of Sara, Sarah and Lola was awful. Plain and simple: awful. Again, I repeat that I am aware that art is in the eye of the beholder but come on...... Really?????....seriously?

Granted these people definitely have "angst" which supposedly artists should have....(no wonder I only sell a couple of paintings...I'm far too happy with life!)

The judges are so pompous, spitting out ridiculous statements about the art (?) work.

I do like Simon though.... I particularly love it when he says," Wakie, wakie" early in the morning. I suppose he could also be considered pompous but I somehow find him endearing.
    This is the second season and you'd think they could have found at least one conventional artist. How come they are ALL representational artists...if that's the right word?
    Seems to me that the art that continues to impress and lasts throughout centuries is different type of artist than what we see here. These people make Picasso look conventional!

I know I must sound rather pompous myself here.
    I guess I just have different taste in art.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    This is the second season and you'd think they could have found at least one conventional artist. How come they are ALL representational artists...if that's the right word?
    Seems to me that the art that continues to impress and lasts throughout centuries is different type of artist than what we see here. These people make Picasso look conventional!
    Representational art is art that aspires to depict real objects, people,. etc., eg, a portrait, a still life, a landscape. I don't think that's what you meant. I'm not sure what you mean by "conventional" artist. I really don't want to watch a show about the creative process that features ANYONE who's conventional, especially not if it's a show about art. Conceptual art happens to be the thing in the art world right now, with a few exceptions.

Art is a fluid thing. If Picasso was around today, his stuff wouldn't look like it did 40 years ago. Heck, if Leonardo was alive, he'd probably be doing video art! Techniques change, mediums expand. It's all subjective anyway.

I think some of the people on this show are mediocre talents, but I still think it's interesting to watch. I do think the contemporary art world is full of pretentious idiots who call themselves artists, but really aren't. Just look at what Sucklord (good grief, a grown man calls himself that? WTF?) did. He glued a bunch of stuff together, dripped paint on it and then figured out a way to make it seem like it fit with the challenge.

I love contemporary art, but there are a lot of people putting out a lot of substandard crap and, unfortunately, some of them have made it onto this show! That thing with the gold doors in this last episode? WTH?

I haven't seen anyone this season who I think is as talented as the top 2 or 3 from last season.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I agree about the talent level, Critical, and I think that is why I'm rooting for the outsider, Dusty. He teaches art in school to support his family and finds time to create his own vision. However, when the preview showed someone saying the word, cliche, I thought they were talking about his work. They weren't as it turns out, but the silhouettes of depression across the map could have been very school project, but he pulled it off.

I like Sucklord, The. He is like the nerds you hear about playing costume characters at ComicCon - the ones still stuck at Mom's. I really like how he bonded in the child challenge when, at the beginning, children rather scared him. What I don't like is the way Laura is drooling over him - so obvious. Won't work honey, he said he has a girlfriend. I think the reason he made it on the show is because a couple of his pieces were auctioned at Simon's place and he knew him. He also thinks he should have been auffed two challenges ago, but lucked out as his work was judged a smidge better than the one who left. Anyhoo...I'm enjoying the show if not the art this season.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I wish Dusty would have won too. I really liked his art so much better. I thought the winning piece was strong as well, but my personal preference was for Dusty's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast