+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work of Art 8/11 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

Work of Art 8/11 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

Better late than never...

It's running again now on Bravo (3AM ET/Midnight PT).
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Re: Work of Art 8/11 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

I have to say I was genuinely stunned by the finale--first, because Miles didn't win and second, because I agreed with the exact order of finish. I don't think that's happened all season. I didn't understand what Miles' exhibition had to do with the death of the homeless man or how it was connected to what he called "the community" of older people that had formed at this White Castle, and he didn't seem to be able to explain it very well when asked. I was also uncomfortable with the idea of his taking camera photos of the security camera and using these people's images without their permission. Yes, it may well be legal, but it's still invasive, and it's the sort of thing people don't do when the subjects are rich and powerful--nobody's going to take images of Tiffany shoppers and do the same thing, because they'd be afraid of the repercussions, but hey, it's White Castle, so no one's going to care, and if they do care, they're not likely to have the resources to do anything about it. But I think what made the difference artistically is that what he was trying to do was much like what Abdi did do, and more successfully. I don't know if Abdi was dealing specifically just with race, as one critic suggested, or more with a general statement about social class, but his exhibit had more feeling or soulfulness to it, as if he understood and cared about this issue, whereas Miles' take on the community or group he was dealing with didn't have that same sense of engagement. I'm not sure why. Perhaps Miles' OCD just makes him more introverted or shy, but that feeling of distance or separation has been a part of most of his work on the show, which seemed to be about being apart from the world rather than a part of it. As a result, when he tried to deal with the representation of a specific community and its meaning, I don't think his style worked as well or that he really understood his subject thoroughly. He talked about this group of people as a community, but did he ever really explore what the community he saw meant to its members? Were they even a real community or just people who happened to go to the same place for lunch whom he decided were a community? As for Peregrine, she definitely had organized her exhibit around a central theme or idea, but I agree that she really needed to edit her work. I don't think it helped that the show's version of Tim Gunn (the French guy, whose name I can't remember) told her that she was on to something with the drawings of people throwing up, because I agreed with the panel--those drawings and the frames were the weakest part of her exhibit and they distracted from the other works. I also found the whole unborn fawns as muse thing kind of creepy. I get that it's a sweet yet disturbing image, and I understand why it fit with her carnival/fair theme, but I just can't imagine why anyone would want to buy such a thing and keep it around their house as a "muse." My gut reaction, as opposed to any kind of intellectual evaluation of her aesthetic was, "ick."

I'm glad Abdi won....call me weird, but I find Peregrine's artwork very disturbing....there's such a twisted darkness there....it creeps me out!

I'm so happy Abdi won.
    Ain't Love Grand!

Abdi's art was one of my *favorite* from the very first episode and I'm glad he won, he is SOOOO talented.

But overall, I thought Miles' work was better throughout the challenges. I really felt his final work was very weak compared to the work he did on the show. I thought he would be the one to blow everyone away, very surprised he dropped the ball :-/

I never really liked Peregrine's work throughout the competition but was blown away by her wax sculptures and especially her large photograph---W0W! I really thought she had it in the bag, lol.

What a great show, I hope they have a season 2 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Holly in SoCal;4034673;
    I'm glad Abdi won....call me weird, but I find Peregrine's artwork very disturbing....there's such a twisted darkness there....it creeps me out!
    Yes, but I was intrigued by her work. Much of her work was cheap looking though. I don't think she sees the difference.

What I found scary was when Miles said that when he was a kid he didn't like art, but loved to make devices that killed animals! Did you catch that? VERY scary IMO. I think you get my point.

Abdi's art was one of my *favorite* from the very first episode and I'm glad he won, he is SOOOO talented.

But overall, I thought Miles' work was better throughout the challenges. I really felt his final work was very weak compared to the work he did on the show. I thought he would be the one to blow everyone away, very surprised he dropped the ball :-/

I never really liked Peregrine's work throughout the competition but was blown away by her wax sculptures and especially her large photograph---W0W! I really thought she had it in the bag, lol.

What a great show, I hope they have a season 2 :-)

I enjoyed both Abdi and Miles throughout the season, so I was happy that it was one of them. I was a bit disappointed in Miles's final exhibit, it was kind of cold and a bit dark. I love much of his past work, though.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4034718;
    Yes, but I was intrigued by her work. Much of her work was cheap looking though. I don't think she sees the difference.

What I found scary was when Miles said that when he was a kid he didn't like art, but loved to make devices that killed animals! Did you catch that? VERY scary IMO. I think you get my point.

I completely forgot to mention it, but yes, I found the comment about making devices that killed small animals really creepy. Even if he meant it as a joke--or as a reference to trapping--it was still a strange way to put it. And yeah, I know exactly what your point is. It sounded like something the police find out about a serial killer's childhood (and no, I'm not accusing Miles of anything; I'm just saying if he was kidding, his sense of humor is a little odd).

I liked Peregrine's exhibit. I would have liked Abdi's better than hers if he had used his awesome figure drawing instead of the muddier looking painting that was based on the drawing. I'm glad they both has a chance to show in the finale. I liked both of them as people and as artists.

I agree with those who thought Miles' animal comment was creepy, and with the judges who put him third. Saying his exhibit was a "work in progress" was a kind way not to slam him for not performing up to expectations.

Overall I really enjoyed this series. We have had reality shows on other arts like song, dance, fashion and interior design, lots of culinary arts, even comedy, so it was great to have fine visual arts finally represented. The artists, and their work, were very interesting. I was surprised that I even liked the judges.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast