+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Work of Art 8/11 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

  1. #21
    FORT Fogey Debb70's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,191

    Re: Work of Art 8/11 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by dantrb;4039502;
    After sitting through a marathon I enjoyed this show more than I would have expected. I'm glad Abdi won. He really delivered on his last showing. Miles really dropped the ball on his tunnel vision of a show that "needed explaining" so the judges could awe themselves over his work, pfff. Peregrine's work felt a little "everywhere" and suffer from losing focus. The "outside" pieces really did her wrong.

    I also have to complain about the judging. I think big part of Abdi winning has to do with the guest judge David LaChapelle because if it were up to the 2 bozos of Saltz and Powers they would have given Miles the win long time ago without having to see anything from him.

    I felt specially insulted by Jerry Saltz's constant self-masturbation with Miles' work. Miles more than once disregarded the guide lines of the challenge opting for his "conform" take on his current mood/acting. You have to be impartial and even if you are in love with someone's work so much that you take pictures and climax overnight just looking at them that doesn't mean you have to disregard someone else work just because it's not make by douche-wonder Miles.

    You have it sized up pretty well. Here are the words of Jerry Saltz in discussing his experience of judging on the show. Funny he thinks that Miles lost because he won. His work was just too good to win. I hope Miles hasn't had to get a retraining order out. LOL

    Jerry Saltz’s Work of Art Finale Recap: Life Breaks Through -- Vulture

  2. #22
    FORT Fanatic dantrb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Age
    41
    Posts
    622

    Re: Work of Art 8/11 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4039621;
    You have it sized up pretty well. Here are the words of Jerry Saltz in discussing his experience of judging on the show. Funny he thinks that Miles lost because he won. His work was just too good to win. I hope Miles hasn't had to get a retraining order out. LOL

    Jerry Saltz’s Work of Art Finale Recap: Life Breaks Through -- Vulture
    Thanks for the link.

    Saltzs shouldn't be a judge next season. He's demonstrated that he can't be impartial. He tries again to take another dig at Abdi with backhanded compliments.

    "Abdi’s Brooklyn Museum show probably won’t be a hit with the art world. However, I can imagine museum crowds getting a lot out of his work..."

    His words about Abdi are very petty. Mr. Saltzs should know by now that opinions are subjective and in the art world beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

    He was clearly over ruled on the last judging and that's why he feels the need to spit on Abdi's work at every opportunity.

    I hope that if he's still a judge next season at least he finds none of the contestant "Mile's worthy" so he can equally dismiss/hate and they can have a chance to bright.

  3. #23
    Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    In the blue TV screen light
    Posts
    2,700

    Re: Work of Art 8/11 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    I find the whole premise of this show to be stilted and illogical. Artists never explain their vision to viewers. It means what it means - and it can mean something different to everyone who contemplates it.

    Someone once said that all you need to appreciate art is a chair. Wise words.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

  4. #24
    Miz Smarty Britches queenb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    running for the border
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,776

    Re: Work of Art 8/11 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4041454;
    I find the whole premise of this show to be stilted and illogical. .
    Yes, but for a different reason--the art here is more like commercial art, done with a specific theme ordered by someone other than the artist. So presenting it as 'fine art' just does not work.
    I sort of disagree about explaining the art as well--artists are asked about that sort of thing all the time, but the viewer absolutely have their own feelings about it--although if the artist is 'doing it right', the viewer will be close to having some of the same ideas as the artist, without having to be told what to think.
    All that said, I was watching more for entertainment (and was surprised by the lack of any real drama!) than any expectation of seeing any great art. And that's about all it was. Even with the best of what we saw on the show, very few pieces were all that good, in my opinion.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

  5. #25
    chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2,095

    Re: Work of Art 8/11 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by queenb;4042258;
    Yes, but for a different reason--the art here is more like commercial art, done with a specific theme ordered by someone other than the artist. So presenting it as 'fine art' just does not work.
    I sort of disagree about explaining the art as well--artists are asked about that sort of thing all the time, but the viewer absolutely have their own feelings about it--although if the artist is 'doing it right', the viewer will be close to having some of the same ideas as the artist, without having to be told what to think.
    All that said, I was watching more for entertainment (and was surprised by the lack of any real drama!) than any expectation of seeing any great art. And that's about all it was. Even with the best of what we saw on the show, very few pieces were all that good, in my opinion.
    I can understand this perspective. As someone who enjoys art, but is not really an art critic, and has little experience on how to critique art, I was able to enjoy the works and artists as "work in progress."
    For those mainstreamers with less knowledge of "fine art" the artists' pieces may have been easier to swallow than for those who are quite knowledgeable. That makes sense.
    For myself, if this were a show about finding the best actor, I suspect most (all) wouldn't make the grade for me. I would be hoping for fine acting, but I don't suspect I would get much of that.

    All of that said, I do think there were artists with potential. Will they become great artists? Who the heck knows? I think it's a tall order anyway, as few artist become great. Abdi has potential because he has conquered the basics. He needs growth, and I'm hoping the best for him.

  6. #26
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6,767

    Re: Work of Art 8/11 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

    Quote Originally Posted by dantrb;4040276;
    Thanks for the link. Saltzs shouldn't be a judge next season. He's demonstrated that he can't be impartial. He tries again to take another dig at Abdi with backhanded compliments. "Abdi’s Brooklyn Museum show probably won’t be a hit with the art world. However, I can imagine museum crowds getting a lot out of his work..." His words about Abdi are very petty. Mr. Saltzs should know by now that opinions are subjective and in the art world beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? He was clearly over ruled on the last judging and that's why he feels the need to spit on Abdi's work at every opportunity. He's also spitting on people who bother to go to art museums in the first place, which, I would guess, is a relatively small portion of the population by saying the "art world" won't care for Abdi's work but the "museum crowds" would. Not everyone in the "museum crowds" are totally without artistic knowledge nor is everyone in the "art world" necessarily blessed with a brilliant aesthetic sense. Plus, it seems rather ridiculous to insult the very people who make it a point to attend exhibits at places like the Brooklyn museum. If they don't show up, the "art world" becomes much smaller and potentially less lucrative. Yes, they may not be able to afford originals, but their admission charges and their purchases of prints, if not originals, help museums stay open. Loved the long-winded explanation of the meaning of Miles' exhibit too. First, Miles was nowhere near that clear about what the point of his exhibit was. Second, if the exhibit needs an explanation that thorough and long to be understood, perhaps it's not that good in the first place. By comparison, it was quite visually evident immediately what Abdi and Peregrine's exhibits concerned. But I would imagine that for Saltzs, as for an unfortunate number of literary critics (this problem is not limited to the art world), if it's too clear, it must be bad. Or at least not as good as something more obscure. I hate that attitude. It's so egotistical and self-serving: "Here, you poor schlubs out there in the general public, let us, who are so much superior to you, handle telling you what's good. Or better yet, just let us discuss it among ourselves while you keep your pathetic, middle-class selves out of it." Just because something's difficult to decipher doesn't make it superior to something that is beautiful and graceful and speaks quietly and clearly to other human beings. I hope that if he's still a judge next season at least he finds none of the contestant "Mile's worthy" so he can equally dismiss/hate and they can have a chance to bright.
    I don't think it helps a contestant to have someone so obviously on his/her side no matter what he/she produces either. It can feed the ego to the point where the contestant becomes complacent and/or self-aggrandizing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.