+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Work of Art 8/11 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Work of Art 8/11 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

I wish I had liked the show as much as many of you did. I felt the judging was unfair and that it would have been quite different if the judges evaluated the art work without knowing who the artist was. I think that Miles was favored in a way that was insulting to the other artists and that they were so overly indulgent to him that it was not conducive to fair play. I just discovered that Sarah Jessica Parker was the executive producer. I would have expected more from her as I think she is a wonderful person and artist.

The final result turned out well, so I guess you can't argue with success. Still, I think the show has lots of room for improvement.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4034887;
    I wish I had liked the show as much as many of you did. I felt the judging was unfair and that it would have been quite different if the judges evaluated the art work without knowing who the artist was. I think that Miles was favored in a way that was insulting to the other artists and that they were so overly indulgent to him that it was not conducive to fair play. I just discovered that Sarah Jessica Parker was the executive producer. I would have expected more from her as I think she is a wonderful person and artist.

The final result turned out well, so I guess you can't argue with success. Still, I think the show has lots of room for improvement.
    ITA that blind judging would have been fairer. It might have produced the same results, but even if it had, it would have reduced the appearance of favoritism. I don't think it would have eliminated it entirely, however, since many of the artists' styles were very apparent early on, not to mention the number of artists who included images of themselves, or themselves, period, in their artwork. In fact, unless they eliminated that, blind judging would not be possible.

I also don't like the teams or pairs concept when it comes to producing art, since you could have talented artists who simply have such different styles that it's difficult for them to work together, even if they get along personally.

This show makes me wish that I was better at traditional media so that I could audition. Jerry Saltz is an idiot and such a pretentious... idiot. It is those like him that make me glad I consider myself a commercial artist and not a "fine" artist. He blatantly admitted he tried to push Abdi out of the competition, and then later said that real art fans and such wouldn't like his work, but that the average museum goer would. A- what's wrong with that? and B-I hate you people who look down on pop artist and those who make art that's easily accessible to the average American! I do not want to look at art and feel dumb if I don't "get" it. I like thought provoking stuff that makes me *feel* which Abdi's did and Miles's never did.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

FORT Fan

I am sooo happy Abdi won....his show was very powerful and moving

I thought Peregrine's show was downgraded by the "cartoon" throw up pictures....I don't like her paper doll stuff and this was more of it

Miles work left me cold...and his "animal device" comment was just creepy....
    but then again he was ready to create mustard gas at one point

I am happy with the outcome of the show...congrats to Abdi ! He really is talented and I hope we will see and hear more about him in the future

and yes, I liked this show. I thought the process was interesting and I liked the way the judges put out their ideas. I can't claim to understand or like some of the "art" but all in all, good show and we had a great and deserving winner!
    (for a change haha)

I almost think Abdi had to win by default. A good part of the season he turned in crap, but this time he turned in some good work, while the other two utterly failed.

Peregrine gave the same lame Arts N' Crafts crap she did the whole season. Everything she does looks tossed together. There's no real convincing unity thematically--its just a room full of crap.

Miles once again got stuck in the conceptual box. Every work he does needs to be explained for anyone to get anything from it. It's tiresome.

Abdi's work, at least this time, benefited from being explained, but didn't REQUIRE it. Just the forms themselves were interesting, and you could intuit a common theme from looking at the lot of them.

Honestly, looking at that final show almost convinced me Jacklyn would have put on a better show than any of them--even if it was mostly pictures of her in various naked poses. But Abdi DID deserve it among those three, since he picked up his game a LOT and the other two just were stuck in the same ruts they always were, just on a larger scale.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I had hoped that Abdi would carry over the spirituality he discovered in the nature theme of the last challenge, and he did. The show he put together was beautiful and I'm so glad he won.

What is it though with all three focusing on death; Miles and the man that died, Peregrine with her dead unborn fawns, and Abdi with his boxer sculpture showing them dead on the floor?

Peregrine's carnival was colorful enough - the horse was nicely done - but I agree that the girl vomiting drawings all lined up were overkill If she had done one drawing of the girl throwing up while holding a cotton candy paper that would have tied in more since she provided her viewers with the real thing. I don't get why everyone drooled over the drooping wax baby's head set in a plexiglass cube. Oh, well, that's me not appreciating, I guess.

Miles taking pixels from the photo of the dead man's eye and enlarging and enlarging so that it seemed as though he was looking for the man's soul was an interesting idea. But, the method was so removed, there was no soul to be found. Where was that "flash" in the middle of the last piece. While he has been good TV all season, I thought the judges were being polite by telling him his was a work in process. In a way it was...but, I think, the process he needs to make is to find a bit of humanity in his work.

I, too, hope they have a second season. It was fascinating for me to watch artists at work.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm always the odd one out; I thought ALL of these shows were bad. I didn't like Abdi's because it was just like many, many students I saw when I was getting my art degree--He's a very good draftsman and handles light well but just in my opinion, it is NOT 'powerful" as so many seem to find it; given his subject matter, I would have hoped it would be less pedestrian. He needs to push himself a little more; nothing he did here showed anything different from what he's done all season (I almost seaid semester!) or does anything to suggest that he might do something to improve. I too think Jacklyn, might have had a better show than any of these! The other two were only "ok"; I will admit I'm not a fan of repeated images like Miles' show, while Perigrine's work had too many different styles to make a coherent show, for me. Had she produced the fawns in wax, maybe? they did not fit in anywhere and while i liked the photo, it just distracted in this setting.
    I had forgotten Sarah Jessica Parker was the producer, but when I saw her, the light came on, and i knew right then Abdi would win--no surprise, just like his show.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I am so happy Abdi won! It was nice to see the judges (repeatedly) credit him for his skills and technical prowess. I find the beauty and expression in his pieces to be striking. What more do we need?
    The only major weakness I saw in his show was the sketchbook... it didn't seem to add to the rest of the show, because it was in contrast to the boldness of his finished works.
    I'm hoping that having a major show like that at a well-known museum will be fodder for Abdi to continue to grow...
    Simone was picking a piece for auction, anyone know what it is? That was a pretty cool prize.

One last thought for this season... I hate it when judges or critics describe something as "art school" without specifically explaining why. It can feel quite dismissive if there is no other explanation offered. I understand that, for example, someone may personally be weary of say... video installations in artwork, and so find it cliche, and write it off as "art school." However, there may be times when a video installation may be a great addition to a piece and really add to it. Making your sketchbook part of the show may also work in certain instances, but the judges simply wrote off Abdi's addition of it as "art school", and they could have given a better explanation.

Who is John Galt?

Of the three finalists, Abdi was the best IMO and I am glad he won. I enjoyed the show for the most part but HATED the shock art episode. I thought it was offensive (and I am no champion of censorship). I was just in poor taste and could have been eliminated and substituted with another type of challenge.

Being from a family filled with artists (except me), I know that emotional feelings guide their work and this was shown throughout the show.

After sitting through a marathon I enjoyed this show more than I would have expected. I'm glad Abdi won. He really delivered on his last showing. Miles really dropped the ball on his tunnel vision of a show that "needed explaining" so the judges could awe themselves over his work, pfff. Peregrine's work felt a little "everywhere" and suffer from losing focus. The "outside" pieces really did her wrong.

I also have to complain about the judging. I think big part of Abdi winning has to do with the guest judge David LaChapelle because if it were up to the 2 bozos of Saltz and Powers they would have given Miles the win long time ago without having to see anything from him.

I felt specially insulted by Jerry Saltz's constant self-masturbation with Miles' work. Miles more than once disregarded the guide lines of the challenge opting for his "conform" take on his current mood/acting. You have to be impartial and even if you are in love with someone's work so much that you take pictures and climax overnight just looking at them that doesn't mean you have to disregard someone else work just because it's not make by douche-wonder Miles.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast