+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work of Art 8/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Work of Art 8/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Final five -- looks like lots of people imploding all over the place from the promos...

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Re: Work of Art 8/4 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Mixed feelings about the determination of the final three. I'm glad Abdi won, because I really felt he deserved it, and I was resigned to Miles making it. Even if made a smiley face out of pine corns, he was going to the finals. It's not that I haven't like any of his stuff, but I think he gets consistently over-praised by the judges, and tonight the most interesting thing about his art was the process by which it was made, and I'm not sure that should count.

I was glad Jaclyn went home, particularly considering her attitude toward this particular challenge. It was as if she lost interest when she couldn't figure out any way to put a nude photograph of herself into it somehow--and really, what did she think she'd get for an answer when she asked if anyone would mind if she used a photograph that she did outside the perimeters of the rules? Heck, even if the other contestants hadn't minded, wouldn't she have been disqualified by the judges? I'm sorry to be so snarky, but even when she was out in the woods, the moment she started complaining that she might be able to enjoy it if it had been a warm, sunny day, my first thought was that she was objecting to the cold, because she had no interest in taking a photograph of herself fully clothed.

As for Peregrine and Nicole, while I like both of them as people and have liked different pieces by both of them, I really thought Nicole's piece tonight was better than Peregrine's, which seemed sort of student art show to me. The minute Nicole said her piece was called Micmac--and I assume it was identified by title in the gallery--I got where she was going with it, and I think she was unfairly penalized by some of the judges not understanding what her intent was without an explanation, simply because they might not have recognized Micmac as the name of a native tribe. Or maybe I just preferred it, because I like a lot of Native American artists, and I could see where she was trying to combine traditional and modern perspectives. I don't think it was just a cold construction (though I am glad Miles finally got criticized for his pieces lacking a certain degree of heart or soul, though I wish he'd been in the room when that was said).

Peregrine was rewarded for the process and they passed her through on that basis. Hands down Nicole's piece was better and more thought out. They even said so in their comments. So the only reason I can see they passed Peregrine to the next round is because they want to see what she will do.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;4024795;
    Peregrine was rewarded for the process and they passed her through on that basis. Hands down Nicole's piece was better and more thought out. They even said so in their comments. So the only reason I can see they passed Peregrine to the next round is because they want to see what she will do.
    And I have a problem with that: either the competition is about the quality of individual artworks in response to particular challenges or it's not. If it's about process or artistic growth or the combined effect of all the pieces produced over the course of the show, then that should be made clear to the contestants and the audience.

And I'm sorry about the previous double-posting. The first time I attempted to post, I received a message that indicated the message had failed to post, so I tried again. Obviously a gremlin got involved somewhere along the line, and both posts got through.

What's sad and has been so evident throughout this show is the underlying evidence that both Pelegrine and Jacqueline have endured sexual abuse as children...it comes out in all their artwork...I truly hope they both get some help and heal from the pain of their pasts.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4024790;
    Mixed feelings about the determination of the final three. I'm glad Abdi won, because I really felt he deserved it, and I was resigned to Miles making it. Even if made a smiley face out of pine corns, he was going to the finals. It's not that I haven't like any of his stuff, but I think he gets consistently over-praised by the judges, and tonight the most interesting thing about his art was the process by which it was made, and I'm not sure that should count.

I was glad Jaclyn went home, particularly considering her attitude toward this particular challenge. It was as if she lost interest when she couldn't figure out any way to put a nude photograph of herself into it somehow--and really, what did she think she'd get for an answer when she asked if anyone would mind if she used a photograph that she did outside the perimeters of the rules? Heck, even if the other contestants hadn't minded, wouldn't she have been disqualified by the judges? I'm sorry to be so snarky, but even when she was out in the woods, the moment she started complaining that she might be able to enjoy it if it had been a warm, sunny day, my first thought was that she was objecting to the cold, because she had no interest in taking a photograph of herself fully clothed.

As for Peregrine and Nicole, while I like both of them as people and have liked different pieces by both of them, I really thought Nicole's piece tonight was better than Peregrine's, which seemed sort of student art show to me. The minute Nicole said her piece was called Micmac--and I assume it was identified by title in the gallery--I got where she was going with it, and I think she was unfairly penalized by some of the judges not understanding what her intent was without an explanation, simply because they might not have recognized Micmac as the name of a native tribe. Or maybe I just preferred it, because I like a lot of Native American artists, and I could see where she was trying to combine traditional and modern perspectives. I don't think it was just a cold construction (though I am glad Miles finally got criticized for his pieces lacking a certain degree of heart or soul, though I wish he'd been in the room when that was said).
    I agree! Especially your comment about Jackie. I came here to post just that.
    Last edited by fluff; 08-22-2010 at 09:38 PM.

I'm happy Jacqueline went home so I don't have to see another nude photograph turned into sketch turned into painting of herself. I have mixed feelings on Nicole. I understand, I think, what she was trying to convey - her small piece did have a native American dwelling place feel to it...with the spirit light within, but I agree, that compared to the other works, it was too small. Miles - take your meds! His over-ambition was "almost" his downfall...I can't say that with a straight face. Of course, he was going through. I love Peregrine's backstory - growing up in San Francisco in the "open" society that emerged out of the sixties. I can see, though, that without structure, she would need to escape into and build her own world. I, too, am curious to see one more of her pieces.

Ah, Abdi! You finally found IT! I absolutely adored his floating baptism and the use of grounded rocks blended with charcoal was the perfect way to bring in nature. When they were doing their research, he was sitting and meditating on a perfect sculpture of rocks over looking the sea. I thought - if only he could bring that back to the studio. And, in his own way he did. KUDOS! I really hope he carries the feeling he developed while on his spiritual journey into his final piece.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I was shocked Peregrine made the final. Do the editors want to keep us on our toes or not? I think it's safe to say that she doesn't win, with how much she has been underedited throughout the season. Although Natalie did win Survivor: Samoa...

Anyway, regardless of her edit, the competition is still between Abdi and Miles. My gut says that it's going to be Abdi, because although Miles is the obvious frontrunner, Abdi is building up momentum. His last piece was amazing, I loved it. Additionally, all of the over-praise from the judges towards Miles throughout the season might go to his head. If he gets too overconfident, Abdi might just sneak up for the win.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

So happy Abdi won! His portrait was beautiful

I hope he wins the whole thing!
    Ain't Love Grand!

I know, You know, Asteroids Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Just watched and I thought I'd be really disappointed that Nicole didn't make the final, but I like Peregrine as well.
    Anyone but Jackie.

Jackie seemed to give up this episode. Rather than do her best and lose (which would be a hit to her already fragile ego) she choose to do a lackluster job and blame it on everything but herself. A real cop-out. Well, good riddance, and I hope she grows a little and gains some sense of self-awareness.

I love Nicole. I have admired most of her pieces and I'm a little sad she had to go. The only thing that confuses me is what she sees in Miles. Well, perhaps when she actually watches the episodes and sees some of his slick tricks with Peregrine (this episode) and Jackie (last eppy), she'll ask herself the same thing.

Peregrine. She's interesting. Some of her pieces I've liked and some I have thought were the worst. It'll be interesting to see what she can do in the final.

Miles. He's an idea man, and very creative within the confines of building stuff and screen art and such. I think he's interesting, but not nearly as well-rounded as:

Abdi!! I would say Abdi's only weakness is ideas. He sometimes seems to rush in without giving himself time to formulate a concrete theme. This time he didn't make that mistake.
    Adbi has the best skills and is definitely the best technician on the show. His skills in drawing, painting, and sculpting are well-defined, and unfortunately, you can't say that about Miles. I think this is the edge Abdi has over Miles as an artist.
    I know that you can create art without having well defined skills as a painter, etc., but personally, I RESPECT an artist IMMENSELY when they put the time and effort into honing those skills. Miles creates a lot of black and white square/rectangle drawings which don't take the kind of skill Abdi does with realistic drawings.
    JMO, but I enjoy Abdi's works better time and again for those reasons.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast