+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work of Art 7/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Work of Art 7/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Opposing Themes, the artists are working in pairs...disaster in the making?

Please keep all discussion in here until 2AM ET / 11PM PT.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Re: Work of Art 7/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Ok, the one guy is just skeevy! It seems like the point of this show is for the guys to convince the girls to disrobe and masterbate. This is my first viewing of this show. Not sure I will watch again.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by AsIs;4011250;
    This is my first viewing of this show. Not sure I will watch again.

I stopped watching a couple of weeks ago when I realized the fix was in for certain people(Miles). I still check here to see how things are going...so...who got cut?

Oh, and, did Jackie get naked again?

FORT Fogey

Jacklyn's piece was a portrait of her masturbating, though it took one of the judges to say that out loud. She kept using cutesy euphemisms. I really didn't see how her piece related to Miles' piece (as one of the judges pointed out).

I'm also getting a little weary of all the praise heaped on Miles, and I'm wondering what would have happened if they had chosen judges whose tastes didn't seem to be so similar. No one ever seems to disagree much with the others, and it might be more interesting if we actually heard discussions about what constituted "good art" from people with a variety of aesthetic preferences.

I do give Mark credit for going out with class. Not a word of bitterness or rancor directed toward anyone.

And next week Miles is considering a chemical reaction similar to mustard gas as part of his work? I hope they make him go elsewhere to try that, as the rest of them don't need to be exposed to that while trying to work. Or breathe, for that matter.

FORT Newbie

I'm getting really tired of Miles' smug attitude. How come the judges let him voice his opinion about other peoples artwork during the judging itself? Are other people doing this as well, but the editing only shows us his comments?
    This is the 2nd time he has been rather condescending to another contestant during the judging (the first time was towards Trung), and both times that contestant also was also booted.

I was really excited about this show at first, it seemed to be a worthy successor of Project Runway, but the last couple of episodes have been a letdown.

I too don't see the hype with Miles piece (I won't call it art, because in my eyes it wasn't, just another wall like his Audi piece) while his partner was a self protrait of herself getting off. I fell to see the cohesiveness of that. I agree that they need better judges because these judges all carry the same brain cell and have no clue when it comes to art. Especially that short older guy with the glasses lol!! And why does Miles get to critique someone's work, is he a judge now???

Quote Originally Posted by GreenZebra;4011876;
    I'm getting really tired of Miles' smug attitude. How come the judges let him voice his opinion about other peoples artwork during the judging itself? Are other people doing this as well, but the editing only shows us his comments?
    This is the 2nd time he has been rather condescending to another contestant during the judging (the first time was towards Trung), and both times that contestant also was also booted.

I was really excited about this show at first, it seemed to be a worthy successor of Project Runway, but the last couple of episodes have been a letdown.
    I posted the same question regarding Miles critiquing other people's work.

FORT Fogey

I missed a little bit of the judging due to a phone call, but I had assumed Miles wasn't the only one asked to voice an opinion. If he was, that was just inappropriate. If contestants were going to voice opinions at all, it should have been done fairly, with each of them being allowed to voice an opinion about someone else's work. Otherwise, they should have stayed out of it altogether.

And yeah, I thought Miles' piece was awfully similar to his Audi piece, and Jaclyn's portrait was a lot like other things she's done. If other contestants are going to get critiqued for not showing enough range, they should get the same criticism. I don't think it's absolutely necessary for an artist to show "range"--some are better in one media than another or with regard to some subject matters than other, and that's fine; not all great novelists are necessarily good poets either--but they should apply the same judging criteria to everyone or else it's unfair.

FORT Newbie

The subject of range is pretty interesting. I do feel that contestants like Miles and Jaclyn are consistently drawing upon the same types of themes: Jaclyn -- photography, being exposed, mirrors. Miles -- installation, quiet place, experimenting with materials. Other artists, Abdi for example, start each challenge with a blank slate. Maybe its a question of haveing less experience and not having found their niche yet, but it definitely puts them at a disadvantage, especially with the time constraint in the show.

I wish the judges would be a little more strict about making sure people adhere to the challenge at hand, and aren't allowed to default to their comfort range (Miles' piece from the childhood art challenge, for example).

Quote Originally Posted by GreenZebra;4011876;
    I watch Work of Art and kind of enjoy it for whatever reason. However, never (ever!) did I believe it was going to be a worthy successor to Project Runway. THAT show is the BEST of all the reality shows. (Yes, even after last year's dismal showing on Lifetime.) I'm looking forward to PR's season opener tonight!
    Impossible things are being done every day.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast