+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work of Art 7/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Work of Art 7/28 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by GreenZebra;4011876;
    I'm getting really tired of Miles' smug attitude. How come the judges let him voice his opinion about other peoples artwork during the judging itself?
    I wondered the same thing earlier in the series, but this time they made it clear that the artists were invited to speak. But when the female judge asked if any of the other artists had anything to say, it showed them all looking away with their heads down, like they really didn't want to do it. Miles seems to be completely un-self-aware of the fact he is throwing his fellow artists under the bus when he shoots his mouth off like that.

I also thought it was creepy how he was so gleeful thinking he had manipulated Jackie - when in reality I don't think she would have done it if she had wanted to do something different. I think if they had used her mirror idea it would have been better, and the judges wouldn't have felt (as they wrongly did) that there had been little to no collaboration in the pieces. I missed this part - did they say why they didn't use the mirror? (Although the real reason would probably be Miles' control issues.)

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I missed the very first part of the episode, but I still like Miles. I understand the criticisms of him, but I think he has a creative mind and does a good job conveying his thoughts through conceptual art pieces. The judges invite the other artists to give an opinion, but he is the only one who seems to have the nerve to do it (unless others are saying something, but they are editing it out to give us the idea that it is only Miles). I think he is just completely in his artist mind-frame and doesn't have the understanding that he may be stepping on people's feelings with his criticism.

I don't believe it takes master manipulation to get Jackie to take her clothes off for her art. She is an obvious exhibitionist, trying to pretend that she isn't. Let's see, you are extremely uncomfortable with being looked at as a sexual object, and yet you have breast implants that you dress to show off, along with the rest of your body, and have found a way to pose naked as often as possible in this competition? I don't know. I have no problem with nudes, but it is her act that annoys me. Just admit that you think your body is art! Own it, girl!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by GreenZebra;4011959;
    The subject of range is pretty interesting. I do feel that contestants like Miles and Jaclyn are consistently drawing upon the same types of themes: Jaclyn -- photography, being exposed, mirrors. Miles -- installation, quiet place, experimenting with materials. Other artists, Abdi for example, start each challenge with a blank slate. Maybe its a question of haveing less experience and not having found their niche yet, but it definitely puts them at a disadvantage, especially with the time constraint in the show.

I wish the judges would be a little more strict about making sure people adhere to the challenge at hand, and aren't allowed to default to their comfort range (Miles' piece from the childhood art challenge, for example).
    I agree that people should have to adhere to the rules of the challenge at hand--that's a matter of fairness too. It's also entirely possible that some of the contestants haven't yet found their particular niche yet, but I think the way the contest is being judged may also be confusing to the contestants. When some of them are being told that their work is too repetitive in terms of style or subject matter and others are given a pass when it comes to returning to the same materials or themes, it must be hard to figure out what the judges are looking for or want to see. And ultimately it is still a game with a monetary prize, and perhaps a shot at some notoriety attached, so it would be hard to overlook entirely thinking about what the judges appear to prefer, which actually isn't all that realistic. If someone has a gallery showing, he/she doesn't necessarily know exactly who might walk into that gallery looking to make purchase, so I'd think there'd be more of a tendency for the artist to create what he/she liked and hope that it sells. Here, the customers, so to speak, are already predetermined and at this point, they've all had weeks to ruminate about what that particular group of customer is liable to like, and that may be influencing their choices.

FORT Newbie

As an artist myself, I thought this show would be very interesting... and it has been but not the way I had hoped.
    Regarding repetition of themes- think of most artists -particularly current (20th century) artists and you will see they almost all worked off a theme ex-Charlie Russell would paint western themes, Jackson Pollack would paint with dribbles, Thomas Kincaid (though I don't think of him much of an artist) pastoral themes with gardens and lighted windows in his houses/lighthouses.... you see my point? Artist establish themselves on what they are strong in and eventually what the public will purchase.
    Regarding Miles speaking up during the critique- in art school we would assemble as a class once projects were handed in and have discussions about what works and what doesn't in the created art- all moderated by the teacher. I think this is fine in a classroom situation since everyone will be learning but I have found that when you open your mouth to give constructive criticism to "practicing artists" they will take personal affront to what you have to say... Miles may still be in "classroom" mode. I would love all of them to speak up and offer their perspective to the pieces. I hope it was not just the editing that knocked out other opinions.
    That said I really don't care for Miles but can see why the "critics" love it... The artworld is very subjective and for those who live and breath it, they are always looking for that new approach/inspiration/production that is really different.

To me this show has very little to do with art. The judges loved seeing a naked girl in such a position. Miles, for some unknown reason, can do no wrong even when he blatantly ignores the theme (childhood inspiration) and recreates something (stupid) he had already done.

Mark and Peregrine's exhibit was the best in my opinion. The story behind it and the expression of the story far surpassed the others. He was robbed.

Nicole and (went blank!) was okay, I liked his painting. It was not the worst.

Miles and Jackie's was ridiculous. Jackie is doing nothing but exposing herself and Miles is hammering pieces of wood together and calling it whatever he wants. They need to GO. Soon. And take the judges with you.

And about Miles' opinion of others ... I wish someone would take him down a peg or two. Make him hurt so bad emotionally that he crawls to that little hidey-hole of his and does not emerge for a couple of days. Can't stand him.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Newbie

Sorry to hear Mark is gone. I turned it off last night, as I could not take another minute of Miles. Skeevy overated punk. Judges constantly swooning over his art makes me gag. His manipulating Jackie was the last I could take. He has said before he is ignoring what the challenge is and presenting what he wants. HE should go.
    Abbie

Definitely needs to be taken down from his high horse and trampled.

I wish Abdi had gone last night, not Mark, even though I'm not Mark's biggest fan either. I actually liked Nicole's work, but to me, Abdi's painting did not relate to Nicole's piece in any way, and as pointed out it was about as opposite of anything to do with 'chaos" as I could imagine. And besides, it looked like a high school student had decided to paint "an abstract!" as if that means it has no meaning or theme at all; I absolutely could not imagine how it thought someone would buy that it represented Plato's cave. And on top of it all, it was fugly, and not in an interesting way.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Was waiting to watch this online, but now I'm not sure if I want to see it.

I understand that many great artists create with a running theme, but Jackies' is so self-delusionary and self centered I simply can't respect her. Shouldn't artists have some sense of awareness? It's like her own idiocy is put on display for us to ponder.

As much as I like Abdi, i think he had the weakest piece. I also think Miles needs to be slapped down a bit by the judges--I don't hate him, but he is a bit cocky and one-note. I also don't think he manipulated Jackie like he thought. All she really does is strip down and expose herself, so it wouldn't take much to convince her. I think if she could have gotten naked during the children's challenge, she would have--boy was she really at a loss at that one. I don't see why the judges love her so much (unless it is just her body they love to gawk at) and I don't understand why she is getting away with doing the same thing every week. I also am getting tired of her pretending that she is shy and really a prude. I wish that she would admit that she is an exibitionist and that she thinks her body is the idealized female form to use for art. I don't really find Miles creepy for thinking he was going to manipulate her into getting naked so he could look at her--maybe it is because he looks like he is about 12 years old, but I got a flashback to when my boys were 10 and 12 and they swiped a playboy from the store with their friends and the looks on their faces when I caught them.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880;4016562;
    As much as I like Abdi, i think he had the weakest piece. I also think Miles needs to be slapped down a bit by the judges--I don't hate him, but he is a bit cocky and one-note. I also don't think he manipulated Jackie like he thought. All she really does is strip down and expose herself, so it wouldn't take much to convince her. I think if she could have gotten naked during the children's challenge, she would have--boy was she really at a loss at that one. I don't see why the judges love her so much (unless it is just her body they love to gawk at) and I don't understand why she is getting away with doing the same thing every week. I also am getting tired of her pretending that she is shy and really a prude. I wish that she would admit that she is an exibitionist and that she thinks her body is the idealized female form to use for art.
    I agree.
    Jackie makes good reality TV and they will keep her around until the end then dismiss her as a one note. Ratings, you know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12