+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work of Art 7/14 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Work of Art 7/14 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Please keep all discussion in here until 2AM ET / 11PM PT.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Work of Art 7/14 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

OK, whatever happens tonight, I am so done with Erik and his insecurities causing him to lash out. I didn't think he belonged on the show week one, and he sealed it for me this week.

I do think the show should have at least one self-taught artist among the contestants -- they just picked the wrong one this time.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Erik leaves, and I still don't get him. He said "This was my last-ditch attempt at the art world," which is bull, because he hasn't really entered the art world yet. Take some art history classes, and do the work to be better educated about the contemporary scene, and keep going. Why he has to be so all-or-nothing about it is just another one of his many mysteries.

If Miles had been eliminated, I would have stopped watching the show. He may not be the ultimate winner in the end, but the season would be pointless if he's not a finalist of some sort. He's just too good.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Seriously. Eric came off looking far worse than those he was bitching about. Yes, Miles did not handle this task well at all, but Eric's response was pretty lame.

While not an excuse, I think he was insecure and perhaps a bit jealous - maybe not of the art work but of the confidence some of the other artists have (esp. Miles).

I also wonder if his accident didn't leave him with some damage that causes him to have outbursts or something. He was pretty damaged in the accident and I woudn't be surprised. He just seems out of sorts and I don't think its just the competition or his lack of training causing it. In fact, he should be very proud of himself to get this far without any formal training.

FORT Newbie

Well, this will be the last episode for me. I can't defend Eric's childish and angry behavior but in the disputes he's had, he's been right, in my opinion. Jaclyn's 'shocking' nude photos would have been a disaster and probably gotten her booted without Eric's idea about letting people write comments on them. Still, she refused to give him any credit and just dismissed it with her "I was already thinking of that" comment. Tonight, if we can believe the editing, the losing jungle gym piece was virtually all Miles' idea(note his saying it was a continuation of his last piece). Yet, the judges didn't hold him accountable, instead sending Eric home for a bad attitude.

What bothers me most is the judges playing favorites. Why not have them review the work without knowing which artist did which piece?

FORT Fan

Jaclyn's refusal to give Eric credit for the writing idea is why I'm not rooting for her to win. Right now I'm hoping that Abdi takes the title.

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying the show. I wasn't going to watch it, but caught an episode and got hooked! I thought that last night the bottom two people were appropriate and am fine with who was sent home. While I think that Miles' success so far may have gone to his head a bit (and the others who deferred to Miles) and so wouldn't listen very well to suggestions by others, Eric hasn't produced impressive work over the season, was a center of conflict, and opted out of working on the piece.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3982640;
    I am so done with Erik and his insecurities causing him to lash out.
    I am halfway through watching this episode, just after Erik had a meltdown, and it is clear to me that even though he has insecurities, he tried really hard for a really long time to be heard, and the group kept shutting him down. And he was completely correct - the judge came in and explicitly stated they would have to defend their individual contributions. So the team got what they deserved when he went off on them. Too bad they did not see that they were at fault. I suppose Erik will go home, and that is yet another case of blame the victim. People do not act out if their needs are met somewhere prior to the time they explode because there is no other way to be heard.

This is very difficult to watch. Smug little groups that turn somebody an outcast make me sick. If the group is "done" with how someone is acting, they should look at their own behavior and see where they have been marginalizing that person before they scapegoat all their own failures onto the person they have made into an outcast. And I say that even though I still really like Miles. He does have natural leadership abilities. Nobody "turned him into the project manager." But he needs to grow in that role by not steamrolling over his teammates.
    Last edited by Harvest; 07-15-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Ryan was hilarious. At about the 37 minute mark, in the middle of the commercials, they showed a scene where he made coffee as if he were Miles, the tortured artist. So funny! I actually did laugh out loud. Maybe he has missed his calling and should go into improv.

Too bad Erik has so many issues. It makes it too easy for the others not to see their part in it.

FORT Fogey

Is anyone else confused as to why Jaclyn would pass a note to Erik telling him to speak up more and get his input heard instead of just telling him to do that aloud? It just seemed very odd. I didn't quite understand why everyone on that team decided on a completely different design after Jaclyn fussed about not wanting it to look at all like a clubhouse either, since she had immunity and wasn't going anywhere no matter what they did. Incidentally, what exactly did Jaclyn contribute workwise to the sculpture? I can't recall them showing her actually working much on it at all.

I don't agree with Erik's behavior, but as others have said, I can understand his frustration. I also agree with the judges that the losing team's piece wasn't safe and was awkward in terms of viewer interaction. Climbing in and out of that thing couldn't have been easy. It was interesting to look at, but it wasn't naturally interactive.

I am surprised that no one brought up durability as an issue. Public art in any climate that isn't completely temperate has to be built to tolerate differences in temperature, humdity etc. unless it's meant to be a temporary installation (I'm assuming these pieces weren't).

I'm very glad Nicole's team won. They all seemed to have an equal part in constructing the piece, got along well, and were happy with what they produced. Good for them.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3982702;
    Erik leaves, and I still don't get him. He said "This was my last-ditch attempt at the art world," which is bull, because he hasn't really entered the art world yet.
    If art is truly your calling or your love, this would not be the end of it. I've wanted to do something w/art all my life but other things got in the way, like college, raising kids, running a business, etc. Now I'm much older and have been oil painting for about 4 years, taking classes each week. If it's in you, you don't just quit. I have fellow students who I think are much better than me but that doesn't stop me from doing what my heart tells me to do.
    Eric needs to grow up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast