+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work of Art 7/14 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Work of Art 7/14 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Does anyone else get a little annoyed with the judges or should I say, art critics and their pretentious remarks and artsy know-it-all attitude? Or am I just too critical?

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;3985400;
    Does anyone else get a little annoyed with the judges or should I say, art critics and their pretentious remarks and artsy know-it-all attitude? Or am I just too critical?
    I am with you on this! Putting aside the conflict Erik should have gone home. His first piece, a clown? Really, a clown?

FORT Fogey

I do feel badly for Eric. That was not his work and he was the only one in the group with the sense to say that it was a bad idea. He was right and he still went home. There is still no need to act that way. The ladies in the group were like sheep.

Everyone on the Red Team came off badly. Erik shouldn't have thrown the piece under the bus in front of the judges. But then again, I didn't like how they promised Erik that it was a group project, but when Simon came to see what they've done, Miles said something along the lines of, "It's sort of a continuation of my last piece." Now, I kinda believe Erik when it comes to his claims of Miles being an actor of some sorts. It sucks cause I was rooting for Miles to win. Now, I don't know who to root for.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I still like Miles the best; if you are trying to win, and are put in a group where two of the others will just go along with whatever you tell them to do, of course the fourth person would be sort of left out; at any rate Erik's idea of adding dragon scales to this piece was just BAD, in my opinion.
    And Erik really needs to rethink his blanket rejection of anything "art school, mumbo jumbo,yada" because that is the language used in the art world and you better know how to use it if you intend to ever have a show or following. I frequently see this attitude where the self taught just cannot see that they would, too improve their performance with formal training. And too frequently the attitude that they are good enough is reinforced by having one or two works, be it sculpture, painting, photo or whatever, actually wins a prize, gets accepted into a show, or sells for a decent price.
    I actually liked their project until they started sticking things all over it; the time could have been better spent in my opinion making the form work better as a structural piece that would be sturdier, etc. Normally, I am not a fan of very minimal designs, but I thought that the curved shape would have been better with nothing at all attached to it, and the color changed so it wouldn't look like wood which is kind of jarring in the setting of the park.
    I did like the other team's work better because of the idea itself and way it could be used as something to interact with, but thought the color and forms were just ugly clumps.
    Last edited by queenb; 07-17-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3987664;
    I still like Miles the best; if you are trying to win, and are put in a group where two of the others will just go along with whatever you tell them to do, of course the fourth person would be sort of left out; at any rate Erik's idea of adding dragon scales to this piece was just BAD, in my opinion.
    And Erik really needs to rethink his blanket rejection of anything "art school, mumbo jumbo,yada" because that is the language used in the art world and you better know how to use it if you intend to ever have a show or following. I frequently see this attitude where the self taught just cannot see that they would, too improve their performance with formal training. And too frequently the attitude that they are good enough is reinforced by having one or two works, be it sculpture, painting, photo or whatever, actually wins a prize, gets accepted into a show, or sells for a decent price. I actually liked their project until they started sticking things all over it; the time could have been better spent in my opinion making the form work better as a structural piece that would be sturdier, etc. Normally, I am not a fan of very minimal designs, but I thought that the curved shape would have been better with nothing at all attached to it, and the color changed so it wouldn't look like wood which is kind of jarring in the setting of the park.
    I did like the other team's work better because of the idea itself and way it could be used as something to interact with, but thought the color and forms were just ugly clumps.
    ITA. I used to think that if I took classes, had training, etc, then it wouldn't be "me." I was sooooo wrong. Everything I do now, having had instruction, is still me only much better. This applies to everything we do, knowledge, practice only improve what is already there.

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

The EDIT moment for me was them showing Jacqueline scouting the skyline looking for the most open sky, then at the judging the team learns that that part of the sky is open because the Trade Center buildings no longer stand there. I thought Miles would be sick.

In all these design shows (DesignStar, Project Runway) there is a big deal made out of teamwork. I understand teamwork may be a necessary ingredient in designing rooms or running a dress design studio, but I always thought that producing art, like writing a story, was a personal endeavor. Yes, there are time constraints and budget constraints and supply constraints attached to a TV show...but...I really would like them to move away from the team concept for this particular show.

In this episode, I really thought I would like the Red team's effort. I liked the shape, but then...I didn't realize it would be so high above the ground. I thought that took away from its curve. I also thought the Blue team's sort-of cube with the minimalist structures around it was too simple. Again, I was proved wrong as the crowd enjoyed climbing on it and it was big enough and low enough to make that possible.

The edit really highlighted Erik as the one to go...even his parting comments were bitter. I loved Ryan's impression of Miles making coffee - he was hilarious. It was an "Andre" moment for Work of Art and I'm glad they found a place for it even if they couldn't include it in the show footage.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I'm confused. Just started watching this show. I saw this episode, I think, on July 17th up here in Canada. My first ep for this show. Abdi (sp?) won with the I.E.D. sculpture. Nao and John went home. There was nothing about teams, and Erik is still there. Soooo, I'm wondering if this show is shown on a 2 to 3 episode delay up here? I know they do that with Project Runway. Kinda sucks, 'cause I can't come into the forum without being spoiled.
    Any fellow Canadians watching that can confirm?

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by AzJoe;3983119;
    Well, this will be the last episode for me. I can't defend Eric's childish and angry behavior but in the disputes he's had, he's been right, in my opinion. Jaclyn's 'shocking' nude photos would have been a disaster and probably gotten her booted without Eric's idea about letting people write comments on them. Still, she refused to give him any credit and just dismissed it with her "I was already thinking of that" comment. Tonight, if we can believe the editing, the losing jungle gym piece was virtually all Miles' idea(note his saying it was a continuation of his last piece). Yet, the judges didn't hold him accountable, instead sending Eric home for a bad attitude.

What bothers me most is the judges playing favorites. Why not have them review the work without knowing which artist did which piece?
    Great idea! I have a feeling the judges' comments would be different if they didn't know whose work it was. The way they sent Eric home when he was the only one who was against the idea is absurd. I'm done with this show. I won't be watching the show anymore. Not that anyone cares. Obviously, the producers don't care. I guess they'll get what they want regardless of how fair it is to some of the contestants or what sense it makes.

It was a good concept for a show. I hope some other network develops one that is more interesting and better suited for the young artist.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Tribal Speak-- I've been catching episodes on TV Dome. They don't update episodes until two or three days after they air, but it's better than being weeks behind.

Miles seems to rub a LOT of people the wrong way, that says something to me. Either he's really annoying, or they're all jealous.

Abdi is still the standout for me. It also helps that I love his geniune positive personality and how well he gets along with absolutely everyone. Plus, he's really talented. Nicole has also created some really interesting pieces. They're my favourites with Miles third or fourth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12