+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work of Art 7/7 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Work of Art 7/7 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Please keep all discussion in here until 2AM ET / 11PM PT.

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Re: Work of Art 7/7 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Did anyone else think that Jaclyn's piece this week was a lot like her last piece, at least in terms of inspiration? Once again, she was dealing with how the world looks at her because she's an attractive woman. I rather agreed with Jamie Lynn who was wondering if Jaclyn doesn't actually like it that way, regardless of how much she protests. She doesn't exactly dress to be ignored. I'm also not so sure that those men were looking in the window just because she's attractive. If I walked by a store/dealership I walked by fairly regularly and there was a woman I'd never seen before in the window taking photos of people passing by, it would get my attention too. It's just kind of odd.

I do think her piece was better this week, but I hope by next week, she finds inspiration somewhere else. As for Jamie Lynn going home, I could see the judges' points. However, either of the other two could have legitimately gone home too. What I don't quite understand is why the judges seem to hyperventilate over everything Miles does. I've liked some of his stuff, but not all of it, and tonight's piece did very little for me at all.

I liked Miles' work, but wish he had used something besides plywood in the foreground. Anyway, I had rather seen Ryan go home; his work is generic and does nothing for me. Ditto Abdi, although he had immunity this time. I'm not a fan of Mark, either but he was only 3rd worst this time, in my opinion.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;3969256;
    Did anyone else think that Jaclyn's piece this week was a lot like her last piece, at least in terms of inspiration? Once again, she was dealing with how the world looks at her because she's an attractive woman. I rather agreed with Jamie Lynn who was wondering if Jaclyn doesn't actually like it that way, regardless of how much she protests. She doesn't exactly dress to be ignored. I'm also not so sure that those men were looking in the window just because she's attractive. If I walked by a store/dealership I walked by fairly regularly and there was a woman I'd never seen before in the window taking photos of people passing by, it would get my attention too. It's just kind of odd.
    Totally agree on all counts. Jaclyn wears tight clothes and low-cut blouses. Her make-up is always perfect and her hair is always down (compare to Nicole). Jaclyn pretty much asks for sexual attention all the time.

I don't have a problem with Jaclyn though. Pretty/sexy girls often have a hard time dealing with life outside of how they look. It's really difficult to build self-esteem when you think all anyone is looking at is your physical appearance. It's part of her world in the same way Jamie Lynn's rose colored glasses are part of hers.

She's young, and for now, it's what she knows (IMO). I like to think she'll move beyond it one day and dare to wear a sweatshirt and a hairclip.

I genuinely love this show. I'm enjoying it more than I ever thought I would when I first heard about it... and that was when the show was already 2 episodes in!

I really liked Jaclyn's piece. I wouldn't say she's a favorite of mine, but she has been improving lately. She deserved the win.

I put Miles' name in my signature. I don't know if I would call him my top favorite (I actually liked Jaime Lynn the most, but I had a hunch she would be going home this week ). But he's pretty likable, and I feel like he should step away from this show as the winner. He's very talented, and I loved how dedicated he seems to his work. I was especially impressed during the book cover task, when he sat down and took the time to read his novel before he began to work.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

I'm not sure Jaclyn could create a project without the theme of men lusting afer her. I just laughed about that so much that I couldn't take her work seriously. And the way the judges indulge her is just as funny or pathetic, depending on your perspective. At least we know what to expect her to do next week and the week after that into ad nauseam. LOL I actually do enjoy it. It gives humor to the show and makes it more interesting, IMO. I just keep hoping that the extreme narcissism that is so prevalent with some of the contestants will breed some good work. I wonder what kind of piece Jaclyn would create if a guy came up to her told her that she wasn't very hot and could use to lose a few pounds. I wonder how she would react and what she would create then. Now that might be interesting.

I think the right person went home. Nice girl, but out of her league.

I wasn't crazy over Miles' work. I think it was more a lazy way out than some inspiration over simplicity. I think the script may say they have to encourage his originality so he can be portrayed as the lone, young, avant garde artist. Perhaps he will take it all. Really. I think it's headed that way.
    Last edited by Debb70; 07-08-2010 at 11:33 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;3969256;

I agree totally. She is talented but a one trick pony when it comes to the content of her art.

Miles is one of my favorites. I understand why the judges are blown away by his work. I am an artist myself and as a result I keep tabs on the art world and go to galleries in every city I visit. His work is inspired. He also fascinates me.

One artist in a diary talk claimed Miles is acting because he is very different in the apartment. Nope. Stress level brings him to the napping and actions that we see. In the apartment it makes total sense that he would be more relaxed because there are no cameras around and he is in relaxation mode. I like him.

queenb I agree that the plywood didnt work or create the "police barrier" he talked about. He ran out of time and his explanation is probably on the cutting room floor. Hard to believe the judges did not feel the same way and ask about it. It is likely the reason he did not take first place.

I guess I am the only one that didn't understand Miles piece. I thought it was quite boring and so last minute. I couldn't understand why the judges were fawning all over it. The lady with the balled up paper on the white board was way better. I thought she should have won it.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3969993;
    One artist in a diary talk claimed Miles is acting because he is very different in the apartment. Nope. Stress level brings him to the napping and actions that we see. In the apartment it makes total sense that he would be more relaxed because there are no cameras around and he is in relaxation mode. I like him.
    Miles is definitely my favorite too; I'm sure the diary comment was due to jealousy; you know how some (usually minimally talented to mediocre) people are when they are used to being the 'best' and then someone comes out obviously miles ahead... (sorry, sorry, I just had to do that) Watching him explain his thought patterns, and his actions in general show me that his illness is real.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3969993;
    (Jaclyn is) a one trick pony when it comes to the content of her art.

Miles is one of my favorites.
    There's a difference between being a one-trick pony and having a strong point of view. Abdi gave her high praise (well, he said the challenges were accentuating both her weak and strong points, but that she was growing as an artist), so she is getting respect from her peers. There are so many good artists on this show!

Miles looks like a movie star; no wonder the other guy said he was an actor, lol. If his point of view is to make things that make him feel calm when he is feeling "overstimulated," and the viewers also feel the calm, I like that.

We get so annoyed that all the straight guys seem to have a crush on that bride-of-frankenstein looking farm girl. She looks like a female version of a football player. We cannot see the appeal. Hope the "flirtation" with Miles will not be an ongoing plot line. Yuck.

I also want to ask, why is the photographer guy listed as a "fry cook"? Didn't he say during the book cover challenge that he does commercial art for a living? I'd rather see his awesome photography than anything like that painting again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast