+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work of Art - 6/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Work of Art - 6/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Re: Work of Art - 6/30 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I didn't get Abdi's win here. The panel didn't seem that crazy about his piece when they first saw it, but started gushing after he explained it, butthey complained about the same circumstance with Erik's (?, untrained guy, anyway I didn't like it either. ) I'm glad John is gone, as I haven't liked anything he's done other than the book cover, that is until he messed it up too with the little afterthought of the ladder.
    I think Jacklyn should have won, for all the reasons mentioned on the show, even given that she did use an idea offered by someone else.
    I think most of the artists, at any rate, get a "D" this week. Bodily fluids and weird sex acts are not so shocking these days. However, the assignment being "shock everyone!" is almost impossible. There are way too many people trying too hard to do just that these days, and very few that succeed. I think a better assignment would have been to avoid the term "shock" and replace it with 'subject matter you are personally disturbed by", which I think would have given a much wider range of subjects.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey

Well, I changed my tune a little after tonight's show. Serrano said his goal IS to shock. If that is his goal, he certainly accomplishes it. After thinking more and more about what "art" can include, I've opened my mind a little, and will accept that the act of creating emotion in people is a form of art. Regardless, I like that he didn't come off as full of himself. He seemed gritty and down to earth. I liked him!

And, while nudes don't generally do anything for me, I appreciated what the judges had to say about Jaclyn's piece. It did work in the end. Although I don't give her any points for bravery or revealing something intimate about herself. She seems quite willing to get naked just about anytime and anywhere.

I am so glad Abdi won. I was a little worried for him. Abdi has a hard time with the time constraints of the show - as he himself has mentioned. I would like to see the idea expanded on into a full-blown display, actually. His piece would definately been better had been able to do the 9qty heads/bombs he was hoping for.

I'm not a Nao fan (but I only know her from the show), but I would like to have seen more of her performance art so that I could better understand where she is coming from. On the one hand, I'm glad she's gone but on the other hand, it was too soon (just a little, though).

I'm sad about Jon and would like to have seen more from him. I'm glad he got a win under his belt before leaving.

I'm not a Christian, but I really like Jamie Lynn. She's honest, practical, courageous - and eccentric in very subtle ways. I like her art too. Like Serrano said, not everyone can be a shock artist - and that includes Jamie Lynn. Her art is full of simple whimsy. When I look at her work, I feel as if I'm looking at the work of someone who really does wear rose colored glasses. She's got her own world going on...she knows it...lives it....and doesn't apologize for it.

It's not real thought provoking, but I really enjoy it - and her.

Still hopeful to see something good come from Eric. Actually, I like what I've seen, but I'd like him to impress the judges for once.

Miles and Nicole ... "a match made in Urban Outfitters heaven"....funniest line of the show - and so true!

I probably won't get to see the show for a couple of weeks. My DVR has been funky this week and it missed recording. Anyway, Bravo still has episode 1 up on its player so it may be awhile.

I look forward to your comments and the recap.

So far, I understand Abdi won and both Nao and John are out.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Newbie

I agree with queenb, I don't care for the judges "re-evaluating" the pieces after the artists have explained them. If art doesn't affect you when you experience it(even if it's in a way other than the artist intended), I think it's poorly executed.

I also agree that giving the artists the assignment to "shock" was pretty much impossible. The only way it might have worked is if the judges had been unaware of the theme.

I have to disagree about Jaclyn, though. It might be fine to get advice but I thought her original idea was an utter failure. The suggestion to let people write comments on it made it a completely different piece. As for her saying "I had already thought of that.", well, I'm not buying it.

I enjoyed last night's episode, but wasn't happy with the outcome. Apparently, I don't know enough about art to spot the best work, because I didn't see anything shocking or even intriguing about the guy who won. Maybe if he had 9 heads as originally planned, but those 3 looked dinky and unintersting IMO. I really didn't see why he won.

I hated to see John, go. I liked him and I did find his piece shocking. I thought the misspelled word was hilarious, especially since someone did the same thing last week! And what an odd word to misspell as a man. LOL How is that possible?

I didn't care for Jaclyn's work at all. I didn't see anything shocking or interesting. She strikes me more as a flirt than an artist.

I intend to continue watching. I've only seen 2 episodes so far. Maybe I'll learn something.

My wonky DVR did decided to record the show after all as I found it this morning on my list.

My impressions...okay...each decided to take a personal experience or their own place of shock to create their works. I understand this as they had only a few hours to come up with a concept and execute it.

Abdi's could have gone so wrong with him once again trying to use sculpture as his basis. Last week he used a sculpture piece as his painting inspiration and this week he cast pieces. He really did have to work down to the last minute. So much more time consuming than drawing or painting. For all that, he did get his message across.

I just have to laugh at Miles. First with his comments about getting a full night's sleep because Judith (?) was gone. His anxiety level lowered and he didn't have to take as many bathroom breaks because she always wanted to talk to him. The second was his "shock" piece. It was actually kind of sweetly personal recalling his first "time." After his addition to it, he sighed and said he felt much better, more relaxed...gotta love this kid.

I really thought Jamie Lynn would freak and be gone this week, but she surprised me by saying she had attended a lecture by Serrano and got a lot out of it. I understand where she wanted to go with her comment on hypocritical Christians, but it was a cartoon...not shocking.

To me, John's piece was just gross. I agree to be really shocking in the sexual sense, a photograph would have done better. Of course, personally, I'm glad he went with the suggestive outline (blurred bits) rather full out graphic. I think the mis-spell spoke more to his squishiness on the subject than just being a bad speller.

Nao looked like an Indian maiden sitting in front of her teepee wiping off buffalo dung. Huh?

Serrano said he wasn't surprised the majority went with sexual themes, but they have been done.

The right people went home for this challenge (which I hope they don't repeat this season) and I applaud Abdi his win.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I was disappointed in this episode. None of them really shocked me. I liked Jacklyn's piece the best, but that was only because of the audience being able to be involved with it. And apparently, that wasn't even her idea.

I think the most shocking topic was Erik's, but he just didn't execute it well enough.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've decided that you've got to be a bit schizo to be an artist.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I think Jon's would have been the most shocking had he done what the judges said and hused a photo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast