+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work of Art - 6/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Work of Art - 6/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Enjoy the show!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Re: Work of Art - 6/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Judith's work in the real world work is amazing. I think she's very good. Too bad she's coming off in such a bad light.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Yes, she didn't come off well at all. She seemed to act as if she was above all of this and completely disregarded any constructive criticism. If she was too good for a competition like this, why did she apply to do it? She knew there would be time restraints on the creative process (which I agree would make it difficult).

On another note, I won't be watching next week's episode. They will be featuring the "artist" who did "Piss Jesus". I found that piece so offensive and upsetting that there is no way I will watch. I understand that it was supposed to be shocking, but come on!! Would they do the same thing to Muhammed? Put an image of him in urine? I don't think so!!

I still like Miles. I probably would have gone and read the book, too, if I hadn't already read it. Much better than those who had the attitude that not only had they not read the book, but they didn't give a flip.

As for the top 2, I thought the photographer guy did the best. But clearly they were looking to put a "work of art" on their cover, and because his looked like "a real book cover," unfortunately that was not what they were looking for. But I still thought it was the best.

So many of the efforts this week had at least a twinge of that "middle school" look, including the winner; I was surprised.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3948573;
    Yes, she didn't come off well at all. She seemed to act as if she was above all of this and completely disregarded any constructive criticism. If she was too good for a competition like this, why did she apply to do it? She knew there would be time restraints on the creative process (which I agree would make it difficult).

On another note, I won't be watching next week's episode. They will be featuring the "artist" who did "Piss Jesus". I found that piece so offensive and upsetting that there is no way I will watch. I understand that it was supposed to be shocking, but come on!! Would they do the same thing to Muhammed? Put an image of him in urine? I don't think so!!
    I'm with the judges when they said they were all for breaking the rules but if you're gonna do it, make it great.

I'm not at all religious in the traditional sense, but if someone has something to say about religion, there are far more meaningful and thought-provoking ways to say it.

The guy reminds me of people who walk around with pink hair and wierd clothes to stand out from the rest of us but who never really do anything meaningful in life to warrant the special attention they crave (e.g. volunteer, plant a tree, or whatever).

Displays like Jesus in urine are nothing more than artists' desire for recognition. They don't make a single statement that makes me think about religion itself. The people who make these types of displays are nothing more than "shock-jocks".

This guy broke the rules, but he didn't make it great.

In fact, I don't even know that the piece "crossed the line". I honestly don't think it's "art" to begin with.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the same assessment of whatever wierdness Nao comes up with. She's a self-absorbed waste of space IMO.

(i'm feeling a little cranky today).
    Last edited by Jexter; 06-24-2010 at 02:04 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3949022;
    I still like Miles. I probably would have gone and read the book, too, if I hadn't already read it. Much better than those who had the attitude that not only had they not read the book, but they didn't give a flip.

As for the top 2, I thought the photographer guy did the best. But clearly they were looking to put a "work of art" on their cover, and because his looked like "a real book cover," unfortunately that was not what they were looking for. But I still thought it was the best.

So many of the efforts this week had at least a twinge of that "middle school" look, including the winner; I was surprised.
    I like Miles too.

Reg. the top two, my preference was definately for Jon's piece. I am not partial to his work as posted on his website, but I REALLY liked his book cover...alot - which I didn't expect. Now I'm a bit excited to see what else he does.

The photography guy was pretty amazing, though. He's very good. In fact, I think he'll go pretty far in this competition.

Reg. this week's pieces...I think it tripped up most of the artists. They may not say it out loud like Judith did, but I'm not sure many of them are accustomed to creating art as a tool to sell products - which is definately a different way of approaching things.

In fact, based on the interviews, it appears the top 2 were the only 2 used to this kind of thing. In a way, it makes sense they were 1&2.

I think it caught the rest of them off guard in a big way.

I watched the show for the first time last night and really liked it. I haven't had time to pick any favorites yet. I think the show is a great idea.

I hear that I missed Sarah Jessica Parker on the show last week. Too bad.

Won't be watching next week either, and I agree that the person who did the cross in the urine was not expressing himself artistically, he wanted to be infamous. He is and I'm out.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I'll be watching next week. I totally understand where you guys are coming from though.

But this show is too good to miss. I'm really impressed with the 3 episodes that have aired so far. SJP and Bravo have a good show in their hands.

Right now, Miles is running away with the competition. He's sort of an obvious front runner, but the kid is just too talented. He would make a good first winner of the series. I have a hunch that Nao and Jaclyn are making it far, just for entertainment sake (the way they're editing Jaclyn, in particular, is pretty hilarious). But then again, I expected Trong to make it far and look where he ended up.
    Last edited by CrossingGuard; 06-25-2010 at 03:40 AM.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Would Miles have to screen print his wood cover to make it an actual book cover? I was fascinated by his and Ryan's work. I think, Ryan, by showing the "change" from Dr. Jekyll to Mr. Hyde in a graphic and dark manner might draw new readers to the book because they would want to know how that happens. Jacqueline's Pride and Prejudice was totally ridiculous. Women did not wear top hats, except when riding, and Grecian-draped nudes would have been covered up as indecent. She pulled the concept out of her comfort zone, and it didn't work. Of course, Judith...bless her rebellious heart...also worked from her comfort zone and it worked even less than Jaqueline's. Erik came closer to an Alice In Wonderland vibe than did Nicole. HUH? Set a bunch of kids loose in the bookstore and all the cookies would be eaten in 10 minutes...plus her three dimensional design couldn't be duplicated into a two dimensional book cover. I found Peregrine's Time Machine wallpaper to be too unrelated to the book, and Nao's realistic chemist too real and not enough fantasy for Dr. Jekyll.

I agree that John's Time Machine cover was bright. To me it looked like a giant pink/purple egg, though the comments at the show thought it was a head. The thing that saved it was the ladder - though that looked like a cartoon ladder you might see in the New Yorker. I would have loved Ryan's piece to be chosen, or even Mark's if it had been re-worked with the single blood drip into the title as someone suggested.

Jamie Lynn and watercolor for Dracula? Huh? I think Abdi's work was too small to be an actual cover, but I did like the image of man in a pool of red (blood?) He really needs to figure out how to get his concept early and work on it faster.

I see Jamie Lynn (with her values and her water color) being axed next week. I may have a hard time watching - but I guess that is what recording is for...to FF through the "I can't watch this part." Shock as an expression is not my thing. It is cynical and angry, as well as sadistic. Yes, I react to it as the artist would expect with anger and sadness, but I can choose not to subject myself - as in subjugate myself to the artist's message. Knowing this, I will watch, but I reserve the right to FF.

ETA: I grinned with John's joy at winning the task. I hope his father is able to bring in the new edition to his library and then display a copy at the check out counter so he can say..."My son did the cover art."
    Last edited by Arielflies; 06-26-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast