+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Work of Art - 6/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: Work of Art - 6/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3950114;
    I'll be watching next week. I totally understand where you guys are coming from though.
    As a former art museum employee, I've had to deal with complaints about various things, including nudity (hello, it's art! These same people probably had no problem letting their kids watch violent movies, but God forbid they see a breast ). What I would generally say is that, for me, art isn't about being pretty. Art should challenge you and make you think. I can't think of anything more boring than a gallery full of floral still lifes or landscapes.

That being said, Contemporary Art isn't for everyone. It can be more intellectual than visual. It makes you think and it's often more about the process than just about the finished product. Some art you can just look at and appreciate and other art you really have to work for. I like both. After taking a seminar on Contemporary Art a few years ago, I definitely have a huge appreciation for it. I'm still not a big fan of performance art and, after studying Carolee Schneemann, I was cured of any interest in body art. You know, good for you and your artistic process, I just don't want to watch it.

Re: the comment about images of Jesus vs. Muhammad: that's the great thing about this country - we have the freedom to express those things while, in other countries, it can get you killed. Even if I don't agree with everything people say or do or create, I know I'd much rather live in a country where they have the freedom to do it. Frankly, I'm much more offended by pablum like those treacly paintings by Thomas Kinkade.

That's what's so great about art - everyone has different tastes!

ETA: I forgot to actually comment on the art in this episode!

I thought John's was absolutely the best choice, especially when you look at the other covers in this series of books from Penguin. Mark's looked like a real book cover too, but not a part of that specific Penguin series. I'm not quite sure why Nicole thought putting a drawer in a book cover was a good idea...

I wonder if we'll ever see more of Ryan. I've been impressed with his work, but he's been like the invisible man so far. I find this group - especially now that Judith is gone - to be pretty likable and talented. Nao is kind of a bitch, but she hasn't lived up to the "Beast of the Season" they seemed to set her up to be in the first episode.

So far, the top three for me are Miles, John and Abdi. In the next few weeks, I'd like to see Jamie Lynn go, as well as Jaclyn and Erik.

In my Work of Art drinking game, I take a drink every time Erik mentions his lack of formal art training.
    Last edited by Critical; 06-27-2010 at 03:07 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3952232;
    : .... Contemporary Art isn't for everyone. It can be more intellectual than visual. It makes you think and it's often more about the process than just about the finished product.
    I get this. However, Christ in urine doesn't make me think one bit. It just makes me dismiss the guy as someone who doesn't know how to make me think.

Same goes for many of the nudes I've seen (Peregrine's included). Total yawn fest. Seen it. Done it. Bored with it.

Neither of these are offensive to me ... they just don't make me think one iota.

Just about any human artifact can be considered art, so I'll give Serrano that much. Nao too, if I have to. But that's about it.
    Last edited by Jexter; 06-27-2010 at 07:11 PM.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I teach European Art History and we do view many nudes. Being in a conservative homeschool community, I tell the mothers right off the bat that you can't view the masters without viewing nudes. They are not sexual or gratuitous. You also can't view the masters if you have a problem with religious art. It was the center of their life and that was what they painted. It is just about impossible to find early European Art that is not religious and/or nude.

However, when I see someone stick a crucifix into their own urine and photograph it and call it art. I don't think it makes me think, it just offends me. But, that is what his goal was - to offend. When I made a comment about nobody doing such a thing to the image of Mohammed, it is because I still see things as "off-limits" in the art world through their fear of retaliation. Even though America is free to offend any religion, we are not living in a bubble. It would be naive to think that any artist doing a depiction of Mohammed here in the US wouldn't get death threats and possibly be killed by extremists.

Art is relative and subjective to each person's concept of beauty, so it is impossible for all of us to have the exact same thoughts on this show. That is what makes it interesting.
    Last edited by maude~flanders; 06-30-2010 at 07:10 PM.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Great discussion in this thread regarding this show. I have a feeling it'll be even better for the next one!

Regarding this particular show, I think the judges got it right. John's was a stand out, and I actually liked the little cartoony ladder for the "Time Machine" It works for a book cover. Judith gave up, I think. Putting the title backwards was completely ridiculous.

I think Ryan may a bit under the radar and I'm also really liking Nicole, though the book cover was a miss this week. Not as bad as some, but not great.

Miles makes me wishy washy. One minute I love his creative/organized self, and the next, I'm completely annoyed by his self-centeredness. I loved that he spent the time to read the book.

Jaclyn's book cover was pretty nice...

If it was for a Harlequin Romance maybe. heehee

Regarding the issue of shock art, personally, I'm not into it. The biggest issue I have with it is that it seems to take less training and talent to produce it. I studied theatre in university and had similar feelings towards shock theatre. It's like any schmo can think up something offensive and call it art. That said, it invokes a strong emotional and sometimes intellectual reaction for people and can be effective for that result.
    Critical said it best:
    Art should challenge you and make you think. I can't think of anything more boring than a gallery full of floral still lifes or landscapes.
    So, shock art IS effective in some ways. That said, I prefer to avoid shock art. I don't need it. There are many many many thought-provoking pieces made by well-trained, talented people that will make me think (probably too much). Not only that, but I LOVE realistic pieces, and even if they don't move me, I enjoy them for the artists ability to recreate life exactly as we see it.
    The shockers can go ahead and do their thing, I just won't pay money to see it.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3972577;
    ...I LOVE realistic pieces, and even if they don't move me, I enjoy them for the artists ability to recreate life exactly as we see it.
    Check this site for some amazing work: The International Guild of Realism - Artists

I love realisim. I think artists often get bored with it and move on to other things (Judith is a great example....check out her "old works" on her website). That anyone can execute high quality realistic works is amazing to me. And to bore of it, something I would find incredibly mind-bending, is even more amazing.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Thanks for the link, Jexter! Not is it only a great site to peruse, it's an excellent resource as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12