+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/16 Show Discussion

6/16 Show Discussion

Welcome to week two.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: 6/16 Show Discussion

This show is really bizarre. I do not see a great future for it in my crystal ball.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I really don't have a background in art. I've had some friends who were interested in art and I've always liked art. I must be really uneducated because I don't get the love for Miles' work! It seemed boring to me.
    Also, I don't think Trong deserved to go home. I think he just insulted the judges. His comments about reality tv probably didn't help out his cause and the fact that he knew more about certain aspects of the art scene probably made them feel a little stupid. I think his approach was way off and he offended the judges. You don't recover from that. But I would have stared at those TVs for a while and tried to figure it out so I kind of liked it. I like that sort of thing.
    Last edited by RealityLovesMe; 06-17-2010 at 01:54 PM.

I love Miles. He is the artist I can't wait to see what he will produce next. I'm afraid, though, that his illness will send him home before I am ready. I didn't realize his concrete creations were called B*** H***s as I've seen fabric floor pillows in that style only with big round buttons in the middle.

I don't think Trong was right for this competition. He needs more time for his conceptual pieces and he thought too fast on the couch potatoes sitting on a non-couch watching TV.** Abdi did the same concept only he found a way to do it as a linear piece which worked better in the gallery.

Judith was waaayyy out of her element. Maybe if she had put some vertical into her wire as paint strokes it might have worked. I understand the floor lamp and vacuum cleaner being in one place so long that they become part of the wall and floors, but - wow - it was so pastely.

Actually, I thought they all had good and even great ideas. It was just that some were able to see the whole picture and not just the parts better than the others.

**In college (the sixties - an emerging time for art) I had to write a paper for an art appreciation class and the only image I could come up with was one artist standing in a window painting another artist standing in window who was painting him. It was kind of an inbred mirror of what was present and a warp that needed breaking. So I appreciate that Trong tried to capture that for the electronic age. I just wish he had had more time.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Both times I've loved Abdi's work better and hoped he would win. I get Miles' work, but don't like it as much. I liked the vacuum piece, but completely understood what the judges were saying. It didn't fit well within the parameters of what they asked for. Trong's was boring, but what about Miles' saying so! (as an aside I suddenly have 'Interjection' running through my head!)

Mr.Coz doesn't watch much reality tv with me, and he watched this. He really liked it. His grandfather was a painter and love of art runs in his family. I'm learning to appreciate different types of art through this show. I hope it lasts.

I also really loved abdi's tv head playing nintendo on itself...fantastic...
    Ain't Love Grand!

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I thought the judges were right on last night. When it comes to abstracts and conceptual art, you can see a huge difference in what is "art" and what is just someone trying to "make art". Miles is a true artist and Truon tried to impress the judges with his insider knowledge. The judges were too smart, though, and saw right through it. Also, the older lady - with the cords - it was a little scene. She just didn't get it at all! The artist girl who is a painter was just out of her medium. I am glad she didn't go home.

FORT Fogey

But what was the reason for the body parts? The "holes."

FORT Newbie

Ok here is the thing I have a problem with... Miles piece -I could appreciate the conceptualization of it but as one of the judges mentioned it was really a piece of performance art - I think he was purposely doing that too. But I thought the challenge was to collect electronic pieces from the warehouse and create a "3 dimensional sculptural piece". I did not see what he used from the electronics anywhere in his piece (ok he silk screened a motherboard on the pillow???) nor did I see this as a sculpture - only a "set" for his performance - I think it was a very interesting "art" piece but in no way did it fulfill the outlines of the challenge. I could accept that his piece was appreciated but in no way did it deserve to win this challenge!!

You are right, lizzydoes, it was a performance piece with a hint of electronics. Mostly it was hardware store purchases. But, for some reason it resonated both with the gallery attendees and the judges. For some reason it resonated with me, also, which is why I liked it the best. But, it didn't fulfill the challenge as far as building using the electronic parts. Should he have won on the challenge? Probably not. If they were strictly judging, Abdi should have won with his plaster of paris (hardware, art supplies) man/boy who had morphed into his own monitor with game control attached as a belly button.

Welcome to posting at FORT, lizzydoes!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast