+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6/16 Show Discussion

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: 6/16 Show Discussion

I understand your points, but don't you think Abdhi's piece was a little obvious? A tv headed boy with a game controller in his hand? I could have thought of that! I think any first year art student could have done it, and possibly been called out for being cliche' by their teacher. I teach art to homeschool high school students and I would have yawned at that. It was a social commentary, but one that has already been made many times , in many ways, over the last decade.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I liked that Abdi's "boy" had the plug in his navel. That made perfect sense to me.

I think Miles will end up in a rubber room.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3939488;
    I understand your points, but don't you think Abdhi's piece was a little obvious? A tv headed boy with a game controller in his hand? I could have thought of that! I think any first year art student could have done it, and possibly been called out for being cliche' by their teacher. I teach art to homeschool high school students and I would have yawned at that. It was a social commentary, but one that has already been made many times , in many ways, over the last decade.
    I agree, and if they were judging strictly on this week's work I believe any post high school art instructor woulkd have called this piece out as being the worst, and sent him home. (Or maybe not. I've seen nothing from Mark that impresses me at all) Pre-show I thought Abdhi might be one of the more enjoyable artists (even given his awful self portrait and the super-Obama one) but a bit hit or miss; now I think he has loads of basic talent but lacks artistic maturity and vision.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I guess I'm really out of it here. I'm older so maybe I'm more of a purist. I'm also an oil painter so was naturally interested in this show.
    I can't say I've liked much of anything these contestants have done. I saw a lot of great talent in their introductory pieces they showed but the challenges bring out some strange stuff. I"m not saying weird can't be good art but I'm not seeing a lot of that here. Miles' first project was good so I understood that win but his second??? not for a minute. He had only one thing on his mind the whole show and that was sleep, which made an appearance into his work. I liked the one w/the vacuum cleaner but I did totally understand what the judges said about it also. Altho I think she's talented but it didn't show in this. Abdhi is def talented and I"ve really liked his work. Yes, the idea of a child w/a TV head may not have been very original but I thought what and how he created it to be superb. Even tho it's not my idea of art. I can only go so far outside the box to call it art but that's just me. I come w/these paramenters but we're all different in this world and we all see things differently so there should be different types of artists to create for each of us.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3938207;
    I love Miles. He is the artist I can't wait to see what he will produce next. I'm afraid, though, that his illness will send him home before I am ready.
    I like Miles too. He and Abdi are my favorites. I'm usually wrong in my predictions, but I tend to think Miles won't make it to the end either.

Judith was waaayyy out of her element. Maybe if she had put some vertical into her wire as paint strokes it might have worked. I understand the floor lamp and vacuum cleaner being in one place so long that they become part of the wall and floors, but - wow - it was so pastely.
    I actually really liked the idea behind this piece, i.e. restoring - if not celebrating - the idea of an average appliance, but it was definately missing something.

Actually, I thought they all had good and even great ideas. It was just that some were able to see the whole picture and not just the parts better than the others.
    Agreed. Even Nao's piece... and Nao is like nails on a chalkboard for me.

**In college (the sixties - an emerging time for art) I had to write a paper for an art appreciation class and the only image I could come up with was one artist standing in a window painting another artist standing in window who was painting him. It was kind of an inbred mirror of what was present and a warp that needed breaking. So I appreciate that Trong tried to capture that for the electronic age. I just wish he had had more time.
    On first view, I agreed with Miles that Trong's piece was "distractingly boring". I kept thinking to myself that I must be missing something for someone so accomplished to create something so uninspiring. Seems as if I did miss the deeper meaning, so I'll have to rewatch. Thanks for sharing this!

####

Just a note about Miles vs. Abdi....I really do like Miles' work, but Abdi's work is more interesting for me.

Abidi's pieces are like stories that are still in play, and they make me curious about how they might end.

With the portrat in Week 1, I wondered whether the guy was healthy or sick (he looked a little sickly), what he was thinking, what's he going to do next.

Same with the sculpture. Someone posted that that had been done hundreds of times before by other artists, and I suppose that's true. However, Abdi positioned things in such a way that the boy appears to be in the process of transforming from a human into to something electronic. And, it's as if the both is walking in that direction with interest and enthusiasm. I wanted to know more about what he was thinking, where he thought he might go, etc.

Maybe it's me, but I think/hope this may set Abdi's piece apart from other tv-head sculptures .

It is also what (IMO) sets Abdi's work apart from Miles'. Miles' work is very interesting but once you figure it out, the intrigue is over.

I guess we are only in week 2. I hope to see great stuff from the others as we go along.
    Last edited by Jexter; 06-21-2010 at 04:04 AM.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Still catching up on episodes...

I liked Miles piece from last week because of it's ambition, but didn't like it at ALL this week. I found it self-centered and self-serving in that it was completely, entirely about him and his state of mind in the moment.
    I don't really care that much about you personally, Miles, sorry. And I don't find you sleeping on your art very impressive either.
    For those that liked it, could you please let me know why? I find it difficult to care about a piece that I don't find visually interesting and cannot relate to.

My favourites were the archealogical tv and Nao's city scape. I don't like Nao by a long shot, but I thought the sculpture was very interesting and I feel like I could look at it for a long time...
    The archealogical tv was interesting to me because I felt it touched on elements long past, present, and also the future. It was broad in concept yet personally appealling in a bit of a nostalgic way. I really liked it, obviously. I had kind of hoped it would win.

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders
    I agree. His technique and how he accomplished his work was very very good, but the concept is "been there, done that". I especially loved the feel of it defying gravity, but the concept has just been so done. So, A for technique, but D for concept.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;3942547;
    I guess I'm really out of it here. I'm older so maybe I'm more of a purist. I'm also an oil painter so was naturally interested in this show.
    Nice to see so many artists on the boards. I'm an artist "wannabe" - and a musician wannabe. I can draw a little and play a little, but I could never be great. It's actually quite frustrating.

Can I ask a technical question? Do artists do a pencil sketch of their work before painting? Or do they begin painting right out of the gate?
    Last edited by Jexter; 07-11-2010 at 01:46 AM.

Jexter, some do, some don't--and some of us sometimes do, and sometimes don't. I don't recall ever doing a sketch on paper first if I was doing a painting, and only sketched on the canvas for superrealistic subjects; even then, I feel no need to paint strictly to the sketch. A lot of times Ive just made a few marks with paint to placement, or some dark areas to denote general shape. The process isn't entirely the same every time.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3939488;
    I'm no expert, but I think the point is well taken that we've all seen this before. But...the one thing that sets Abdi's interpretation apart - just maybe - is the motion he put to the boy. The transformation was in progress - it wasn't static.

This is what made it interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;3975739;
    Jexter, some do, some don't--and some of us sometimes do, and sometimes don't. I don't recall ever doing a sketch on paper first if I was doing a painting, and only sketched on the canvas for superrealistic subjects; even then, I feel no need to paint strictly to the sketch. A lot of times Ive just made a few marks with paint to placement, or some dark areas to denote general shape. The process isn't entirely the same every time.
    Thanks. I couldn't imagine doing any sort of painting without first starting with a pencil, slide ruler, and big fat eraser.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12