+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6/9 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

6/9 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Art isn't easy!

Please keep all discussion in here until 3AM ET / 12AM PT.

Enjoy the premiere!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Re: 6/9 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Uh-oh. No comments for tonight's show is not a good sign.

I really, REALLY enjoy art (most art) and I really, REALLY enjoyed tonight's show. I hope the show does o.k. so it continues.

My favorites were the same as the judges. I especially liked Abdi's piece. It was really great, I thought.

I disagreed with the judges about Nao's piece, though. I suppose they are right that it wasn't a portrait, but I like the idea behind it and her presentation.

One type I'm not at all into is performance art...maybe Nao will make me change my mind down the road (although I don't like her attitude which doesn't bode well).

I am fascinated by artists. I would like to learn more about the brain activity that drives artists' compulsion to create - constantly. It's kind of like an obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3929662;
    Uh-oh. No comments for tonight's show is not a good sign.
    They picked a horrible time slot! Look at the shows they are up against. This is one that will live on in recordings watched the next night or even over the weekend.

I will be watching it, I'm very interested in a show that is not about singing, dancing, or cooking but....there are two shows about cooking and dancing that I watch first.

Hopefully the show doesn't get canceled right out the box because of low ratings, again, blame the producers or whoever is responsible for putting it up against SYTYCD and TCM (yes, I know they are on at different times, however, I'm spent after watching them and don't have the energy to watch something else).

I love this show! I think they got a good group...

I thought all three of the final pieces were really good and I think the right person went home.
    Ain't Love Grand!

Let's try this again...

I think it's good that the concept/structure of the show follows Top Chef pretty closely...it brings some familiarity to viewers who might be skittish about judging art (like me)...

I agreed with the top/bottom 3 this week, but totally disagreed with the winner and the person sent home. Miles' portrait was very good, but the clear plastic stuff was pretentious. Abdi's portrait of Ryan was fierce, I thought for sure it would win.

As for the losers, it's obvious that Erik is on the show to be the "Wendy Pepper" of the cast, so of course the producers saved his butt this week, even though he has no business being on the show. Amanda got screwed bigtime.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I wanted Nao, or whatever her name was, to go. She's too full of herself and not willing to listen to constructive criticism. I didn't care for the random lines connecting dots in her portrait of her partner. Hope she's next, but not holding my breath.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3930297;
    Let's try this again...

I think it's good that the concept/structure of the show follows Top Chef pretty closely...it brings some familiarity to viewers who might be skittish about judging art (like me)...

I agreed with the top/bottom 3 this week, but totally disagreed with the winner and the person sent home. Miles' portrait was very good, but the clear plastic stuff was pretentious. Abdi's portrait of Ryan was fierce, I thought for sure it would win.

As for the losers, it's obvious that Erik is on the show to be the "Wendy Pepper" of the cast, so of course the producers saved his butt this week, even though he has no business being on the show. Amanda got screwed bigtime.
    I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on the Erik vs. Amanda thing. At least Erik did a portrait. It was awful, but it was a portrait. I would have eliminated Nao before Erik. I thought Amanda's painting looked like a piece of scrapbook paper. It was pretty, but it wasn't a portrait. I just thought it was kind of insipid. Nao's was just pretentious, but they'll keep her around to stir the pot for a while.

They'll keep Erik around for a few more episodes at the most....long enough for him to really realize he's in over his head and has no business being there. I didn't think his self-portrait was bad, but it was terribly derivative. I actually said aloud, "Hey, Erik looks like Francis Bacon!" when I saw it for the first time.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think Nao survived because she was able to explain a process behind her work. Amanda just seemed to not get the challenge, but for some reason I want to give her the benefit of the doubt. But Erik is just floating.

I guess I'm getting jaded, I just hate it when the obvious producer-planted contestant is so easy to spot in week 1.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I just don't know about this show. I had high expectations for it and the first show left me feeling empty, it was just a bunch of filler and not really enough going on for my taste.

The challenge was interesting, I think the problem is that the contestants are not. Even the token "b*tch* is boring and the old lady trying to be shocking with her over use of a certain word was stupid and...boring.

Blah....over all boring. I wanted more! I will keep hanging in there (because really what else do I have to watch till Top Chef and a couple of other shows start up) but if this first show is any indicator, when my viewing dance card gets too full this will be the first one dropped.

Again, expected so much more than this and really they couldn't find contestants that were more interesting with better personalities?

Miles looks a lot younger in his bio, I'm glad in "person" he looks older. I was worried about the child being thrown into the lions' den with all the others looking and being so much older.

Oh and finally....look! Asphyxiation as art! Oh Nao...you are so cutting edge, you really are better than all these peasants, why are you even on this show? Whatever, can she go next?
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

What premiere? I set the DVR, and they showed a Real Housewives NY reunion show instead. Huh?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast