+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6/9 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 6/9 Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

The premiere was Wednesday at 11PM ET, because of the Top Chef Masters finale.

WOA will air Wed. at 10PM from this point.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

I finally caught the premiere today at 9AM.

Ah - Sarah Jessica Parker as the Executive Producer - very cool and unexpected. Although she did enjoy her stint as a guest on Project Runway as an Icon.

I am nowhere in, around or near the art world and didn't know the judges or mentors, though their credentials look impressive.

From my point of view, the clown was scary - even if I didn't hate clowns - it would have been scary. I agree that it looked like a John Casey [EDIT - should read John Wayne Gacy] self-portrait. But, I did see the feeling of entrapment he was going for. But, the color palette as canvas - huh? If he could have translated that to a larger canvas, it would have worked better. But, like you all have noted - he is in over his head.

I think Amanda would have stayed if she had even hinted at the rounded form of a face rather than only the outer layers of her subject. She seemed to focus on her clothing and jewelry and forgot the person underneath them.

I sympathize with Nao trying to track down Miles for their 30 minutes of bonding and understand her concept, but maybe if she had tacked the small portrait right in the middle or on one corner it would have gone over better.

From what I saw, it was between Miles and Abdi. Miles captured Nao in both her form and her art (the plastic) as well as placing her in an older form which did pay homage to the self portrait performance piece she presented at the beginning. Even me, who isn't in the art world, has seen Abdi's type of portraiture before. The extended face to shoulder level with the stretched tendons; and the colors he used looked familiar as well. He did, however, paint the best portrait of the bunch.

I'm going to like this show because it is familiar. Magical Elves throwing in elements of Project Runway with timed challenges and slices of life away from the studio as well as a Mentor and a judging panel make me feel at home.

My DVR is set.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 06-13-2010 at 02:38 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I liked Mark's, Miles', and Abdi's portraits the best. Glad to know the judges agreed. I enjoyed how interesting and even funny the artists were in this episode. High hopes for this series.

When they showed the artists' works during the introductions, there were quite a few I liked, and even wondered how they learned to do what they do. Very exciting and inspirational.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Just noticed this show existed (I don't have Bravo) so I'm catching up episodes online.

For this episode, I LOVED Abdi's portrait. I found Miles to be ambitious and I love his creative/organized personality, so I was glad he did well.

I felt Nao's would have been much better had she incorporated parts of Miles into her subject, small painted parts throughout the work to emphasize his being in different places in such a scattered/organized way. But, hey, I'm no artist.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat;3971936;
    Just noticed this show existed (I don't have Bravo) so I'm catching up episodes online.

For this episode, I LOVED Abdi's portrait. I found Miles to be ambitious and I love his creative/organized personality, so I was glad he did well.

I felt Nao's would have been much better had she incorporated parts of Miles into her subject, small painted parts throughout the work to emphasize his being in different places in such a scattered/organized way. But, hey, I'm no artist.
    Abdi's portrait from this episode is my favorite piece of all the artists thus far.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12