+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miles - Contestant

Miles - Contestant

Miles - Contestant

Miles, a recent graduate from the University of Minnesota, is interested in exploring perception, persona, and control through his art. As the youngest artist ever to receive a Minnesota State Arts Board grant, Miles was able to land two solo shows by the time he graduated, as well as sell the entirety of the art in his senior show. Since graduation, he has capitalized on his talent by selling art both independently and through multiple exhibitions. Miles works part time as a studio assistant, and in his free time, enjoys skateboarding and good audio books.

Re: Miles - Contestant

Miles' website: Miles Mendenhall
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3928377;
    Miles' website: Miles Mendenhall
    Does he do anything in color?

I have a feeling he'll try to get by on his dimples...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Well, the judges like him. I don't really get him. I'm not that much into art and that is probably why, I guess. I liked his work for the first challenge but I thought Nao's facial beauty carried it. I don't know if it would have worked with another face. I just didn't get it this week. That was over my head.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I see him doing very well. He has original ideas that you can tell is coming fom within.

I do not get some of the things he does ... the 2 sphincters beside the bed, then laying on the bed during the showing. Not impressed.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Does he do anything in color?
    I read where he had more stuff on his website that is now gone. Not sure why....maybe trying to create some mystique.

I think this kid is fantastically talented. I've been impressed with him every week and I'm especially impressed with his adaptability. Several times, he's planned something one way and then it hasn't worked out and he ends up changing his plan and doing something else. Granted, that often happens during the process IRL, but then there isn't a time limit like there is on the show. I liked his book cover a lot and think he could have been in the top three if the random text on the cover had to do with the book.

I LOVE that he spent the time to read the book and thought it was amusing that John doubted anyone could read a whole book that fast. For the record, everyone should have to read Frankenstein. It's one of the great classics and so far from the monster movie rubbish we're so used to seeing on the screen.

My only concern is that Miles' OCD may cause even more problems for him long-term in the competition. I think he has the talent to win the competition, but I wonder if he can deal with the craziness of the show.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

I read that Miles conspired with an instructor of his to do this show as one big 'ol "performance art" piece. There are certain other things I've read that lead me to believe its true.

He's denied it, but I don't know. We'll have to see, I suppose. It would be pretty shabby for him to do such a thing but it might deflate Nao's ego a bit, which can only be good.

Well, if him being a contestant is performance art, then I say. "keep it up, Miles!" I am really enjoying his part of the show.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast