+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ryan - Contestant

Ryan - Contestant

Ryan - Contestant

Ryan exists by his motto “I live to create – I create to live.” Having taught himself to paint when he was young, Ryan’s skill secured him a full tuition fellowship to Northwestern University where he earned his MFA. Since high school, he has lived solely off his art through prize money, commissions and teaching private art lessons. To date Ryan has shown his work in over 60 juried art shows. His work deals primarily with youth culture and the “cult of excess,” depicting scenes of intoxication and drug use, alienation and cigarette exhalation. Ryan uses classical oil painting techniques to create modern day pieces capturing his generation. In this sense, his work is a marriage of the present and the past, a re-utilization of past techniques to make works that explore the romanticized views of self-destruction and masculinity so prevalent in our culture.

Re: Ryan - Contestant

Ryan's website: Ryan Shultz
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Re: Ryan - Contestant

Yawn; the photorealism thing was way overdone years ago, and the choice of subject matter is supposed to be shocking or a commentary on todays youth or whatever, but fails in my opinion so--big yawn, again. The work here just seems very dated to me, and isn't very interesting. He does handle color nicely, hopefully he can carry that into a more interesting style on the show.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread