+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About the show

About the show

From the official site:

Bravo’s latest stroke on the reality canvas brings Golden Globe and Emmy Award winner Sarah Jessica Parker and her production company, Pretty Matches, together with the Emmy-nominated Magical Elves (Top Chef, Project Runway) and Eli Holzman, to produce Work of Art: The Next Great Artist, an hour long creative competition series among contemporary artists. Work of Art: The Next Great Artist will bring together fourteen aspiring artists to compete for a solo show at the prestigious Brooklyn Museum and a generous cash prize.

Hosting this colorful new series is art enthusiast China Chow. She will serve on the judging panel alongside art luminaries Bill Powers, a New York gallery owner and literary art contributor, Jerry Saltz, current art critic for New York Magazine, and Jeanne Greenberg Rohatyn, esteemed curator and owner of Salon94 gallery. World-renowned art auctioneer Simon de Pury adds his voice of experience as a mentor to the contestants.

In each episode, contestants are faced with the challenge of creating unique pieces in a variety of mediums such as painting, sculpture, photography, collage and industrial design. The weekly assignments are exciting, original and will challenge the artists' to push the limits of their technical skills and creative boundaries. Completed works of art will be appraised by our panel of top art world figures alongside a new celebrated guest judge every week. Through a gallery showing at the end of each challenge, these industry select dictate which artists have successfully mastered the subject matter and creation of their piece, as well as whose concept leaves the greatest impact.

Work of Art: The Next Great Artist, is produced by Pretty Matches and Magical Elves for Bravo. Dan Cutforth, Jane Lipsitz, Sarah Jessica Parker, Alison Benson and Eli Holzman serve as executive producers.
    Work of Art - Season 1 - About | Bravo TV Official Site
    "That's Numberwang!"

Re: About the show

Yes, yes, yes! I have this set to record. I hope it delivers because I love the premise. Thank you for setting this up, I am especially interested in seeing how the photographers do (naturally lol) and have been begging for some sort of competition/reality show that is about something other than singing, dancing, and cooking.

This show sounds so interesting. It sounds like it can't help but challenge everyone's comfort zone by varying up the medium.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Meh, sounds too much like art school exercises to me, especially the dictation of materials, style, and having to crank out a piece each week. However, since these contestants all have formal arts education (ok, the ones I looked at which was not all), they are used to it. Anyone who isn't does not stand a chance, in my opinion. Either way, I may or may not check this out but certainly would not expected to be wowed by the artworks produced if I do; I would probably watch for the usual reality heap thrill of cat fights, ego, hysterics, and crazy personalities that are sure to be especially prominent on this show.
    I have never met a 'real' artist who would do this, but when I was actually doing a lot in the art department, we were doing it on cave walls of course. Have art professors stopped the constant admonition not to "prostitute yourself" by catering to what you think other people want to see? Or, is it OK now, and as long as you get attention it doesn't matter what you would really prefer to do? Any recent fine arts graduates here to answer?
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

For any of the contestants who have websites, I'll post links in their individual threads, so people can see their work beyond what we see on the show.

I find Top Chef kind of dull to watch because I can only take the judges' opinions on the food. It could all taste like crap and I wouldn't know the difference. With this show, even if I don't agree with the judges (at least one of whom - Jerry Saltz - has major credentials), I can form my own opinion.

QueenB - I've always thought Project Runway seemed like design school exercises. I have friends who majored in art studio, but I don't know if things have changed. It's just so tough to make it in the art world, I think some people will do whatever they have to do. I started college as an art studio major, but quit because I didn't like having to create things on demand and to the specifications of the professors. It's funny that the professors you knew would tell their students NOT to cater to other people when that's pretty much what you end up doing in most classes!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, I'm glad you figured it out early, rather than at the very end! At any rate, I'm betting on the older lady illustrator to win, because while there is some flexibility in illustration, you still must fit the purchaser's guidelines, so she will be very used to that part. My parents paid for my school, and in my last year demande4d I switched from painting to something 'commercial', so I went into illustration. I really didn't like the restrictions there, and by the end I kind of knew I would never want to try to earn a living at it. In the earlier classes, I did not feel those restrictions so much. In the first level classes covering color theory, 2-d and 3-d design, and the very first 'sampler' classes, I call them (you had to take at least one painting, drawing, sculpture) there was a lot more direction from the instructor; looking back, I see that it was needed to learn how to use materials properly, and to learn about composition, spatial relationships, etc. The midlevel classes were the most fun to me, as they let you do pretty much whatever you wanted, although it was critiqued, and you could, too get a bad grade. (Though I never did )

I like the concept of the show. I'm sure, though, that Bravo is going to wring every last ounce of drama from it. THat aspect is not, necessarily, all that appealing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Looking at the profiles, there are several I can't really judge because the nature of their work prevents it from being appreciated on a website; beyond those, I'd say the likliest to last long are Perigrine, Judith, Jacklyn, maybe Amanda for the ladies (because you know these shows will keep it more or less even until the end) and Abdi, Trong and, I guess Ryan for the men. None of the other guys here seems to have anything going on at all.

Bravo has posted images from the artists' portfolios on the official site: Work of Art - Photos | Bravo TV Official Site
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread