+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Husband's arrest halts 'Wife Swap' production

Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    why can I hear him saying "what is problem? in old country we do this all the time, it builds charector and corrects the child" well welcome to america buddy, you just can't do that anymore. not like 20 years ago
    I'm sorry, but that's so incredibly insulting I can't let that slide. It most certainly is not acceptable to punch your children in the face in the *old country* and one only needs to read the newspaper to know that immigrants are hardly the only people ever accused of domestic abuse.

It's good to hear the crew stepped in.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Anachronism before Noon Cat Bowling Champion Anemic Dog's Avatar
    Good thing this isn't CBS. They would have asked the guy when he planned to hit her again, then made sure they got all the details on tape. Dan Rather would then produce documents linking the attack to the RNC.

(this is a sarcastic reference to the CBS cameraman arrested in Iraq because his footage showed pretty clearly that he had advance knowledge of car bombs intended to kill U.S. troops).
    Passing over to the Dark Side

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Times change...here and everywhere... and abusers use whatever excuse fits their situation.... "my dad did it to me and that's why I'm the sterling person I am"... "that's how they do it in my culture"... "the Bible says to"...whatever. Doesn't mean it's the reality, but it's the abuser's reality in his (or sometimes her) head.
    The one thing that's true is that it is less acceptable than it was...I hope it's also less common. I remember my mom telling me that her parents never hit her, but that that was such a rarity in her (middle class WASPy) neighborhood that she used to lie and say her dad beat her with a belt to fit in. And a generation later my sig. other could make the same statement, unfortunately truthfully, on the maternal (recent immigrant) side, again it wasn't that uncommon in the neighborhood. But these days...may still go on, but is less defended, and less accepted.

I happened upon this thread and noticed the *bump* so I'd like to add my 2 cents worth, in reference to the "old country" remark. I am 47 yrs old, and growing up in my area there were a number of 1st or 2nd generation immigrants from countries that had fled communism, the Ukraine, Czechoslovakia, to name the two most prominent. I heard frequent reference from both the parents and grandparents in answer to not only discipline, but ways of doing anything, "In the old country, we could ...." I started to say if you want to do this, go back then.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    This is so sad. But, what's even sadder is that the father is now going to blame the daughter for saying anything to the film crew. The mother, who wants to "get their life back together", could be resentful towards the daughter also. That's the side of the coin that most people don't take into consideration. The child will feel guilty that she caused so much trouble for her father (even though he deserved it).
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    I happened upon this thread and noticed the *bump* so I'd like to add my 2 cents worth, in reference to the "old country" remark. I am 47 yrs old, and growing up in my area there were a number of 1st or 2nd generation immigrants from countries that had fled communism, the Ukraine, Czechoslovakia, to name the two most prominent. I heard frequent reference from both the parents and grandparents in answer to not only discipline, but ways of doing anything, "In the old country, we could ...." I started to say if you want to do this, go back then.

Ajane, this is why i posted that remark. i too have heard that line of crap tooooooooo damn many times........all is not rainbows and sunshine in the real world

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123