+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Boss Swap show 3/7/05 **show discussion spoiler**

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    I learned just one thing from this....I never want to sell cars for a living.....and I hope some woman at the California State Attorney's Office was watching the show....and is able to staple some behind to the wall for the way they try to work there...

Sure the other group was a bit too unprofessional....and some changes might help there sales...but in the end...they seemed to be working fine....without the high pressure sales tactics which have destroyed so many American businesses over the years....and make us all hate to buy used cars.....

In the end, it seems even the guys learned something....they cleaned the pizza boxes and restrooms when the cameras came back....but other wise...were still the same slobs they once were.....and it takes more than a week to change such appalling behaviour...

Much like the wife swaps they look for diametric contrasts for obvious entertainment value.....in this case....I hope the informal company's balance sheet at the end of the year is so much higher then the car guys.....who seemed such a marginal business in the long run.....Some day when they grow up they may realize it's not worth the ulcers....
    Last edited by museumguy; 03-08-2005 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest
    What disgusting sexist pigs on this show. The male boss said he learned something, but I didn't see that he hired any female sales help afterwards, or changed a thing for that matter.

And the chick boss was sexist too with her "pretty girl discount" line. Do they not know about discrimination in hiring?

Another illegal thing her company is doing is to call their emplyees "independent contractors" and then make them punch a time clock. These people are clueless (and their web site bragging about how "smart" they are is full of spelling and punctuation mistakes), yet they seem to make a ton of money. Life isn't fair.
    I agree with pretty much everything you said. (Also agree with the person who mention the California AG).

The only thing is I wonder if Whatshername kept the time clocks, because that one lady did have a valid point about being a contractor. I'd think when Whatshername got back she'd loosen up a bit on the time clock thing.

Side note, I hate companies who think they own their contractors. Those kinds of corporations are soulless leeches.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Quote Originally Posted by corprip
    The only thing is I wonder if Whatshername kept the time clocks, because that one lady did have a valid point about being a contractor. I'd think when Whatshername got back she'd loosen up a bit on the time clock thing.
    The sister said she liked all those changes, and at the end of the show they said they kept them all. Even if they didn't keep the timeclock, if someone has to come in to your place of business every day and is not actually working for a number of companies, they are your employee whether you call them a "contractor" or not. It is usually a fraudulent ploy to get out of paying the employer portion of social security, other benefits, etc. I wonder what gov't agency is responsible for checking on these cheaters?

Also, we don't live in LA, but would it be illegal to promote gambling in the workplace? I'm fairly certain it would be. Are all these reality show scoff-laws arrogant or just stupid, putting all that out for the world to see?

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    Harvest I have been an independent contractor for a number of things....which include consultancies at other places of business....a speaker for the state humanities bureau and an adjunct professor for a community college....and I am responsible for my own taxes in these cases....

I don't think the term is used correctly if you are referring to your full time employees....unless they are claiming that the "contractors" are paid entirely by commission....I suspect that they have to pay unemployment insurance and withhold taxes for them the same as any other full time salaried employees....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567