+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 3/2 show discussion *spoilers*

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Did you ever think that "listening" and maybe trying to understand someone else's position about things, isn't considered backpedaling?

It's called understanding, being mature, flexible, fair and honest to whomever you're speaking with, as well as yourself.

You take such pride in not backpedaling, but never ONCE have I heard or read anything about understanding and compassion for your fellow American's difference of opinion.

Sad.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar
    Captrick, I get what you are saying, and I think that just because you don't change your beliefs doesn't mean you don't believe other people have the same rights to disagree. In fact, I think you even said that was what made this country so great (or something along those lines).

I also don't see taking down the rainbow flag as being homophobic... Putting UP a homophobic flag would be homophobic. If this is "your" turn and you're running the house as you would at home, if that doesn't include flying a rainbow flag, so be it. It says nothing either way. There are plenty of people who aren't homophobic who don't fly rainbow flags outside their doors.

Quote Originally Posted by cottoncandy
    Captrick, I get what you are saying, and I think that just because you don't change your beliefs doesn't mean you don't believe other people have the same rights to disagree. In fact, I think you even said that was what made this country so great (or something along those lines).

I also don't see taking down the rainbow flag as being homophobic... Putting UP a homophobic flag would be homophobic. If this is "your" turn and you're running the house as you would at home, if that doesn't include flying a rainbow flag, so be it. It says nothing either way. There are plenty of people who aren't homophobic who don't fly rainbow flags outside their doors.

Thank you...well said.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by captrick
    Dan and I actually teamed up in a "shoot out" for a paint ball game where we destroyed Greg and Avrum! It was hilarious! I was very dissapointed that didn't make it in the episode. He and I came to the understanding (at least I felt we did) that the two of us are very much alike in "who we are". I am very passionate about my beliefs...as Dan is. We both won't back down or compromise our beliefs because of what other people think....that is a quality I admire in anyone.

this is what i suspect every week...that we only see the controversial "scenes" that mold our opinions into what the producers want them to be and we don't see the stuff that would balance the extreme negativities out. i can't imagine it's easy to fit 10 days of video into a 40 minute show.

if i was married with younger children and applied for this show, i probably would never get chosen because i'm too "middle of the road" on everything ... i don't take "sides" and i'm not extreme. this show appears to be pitting extremes against each other more so every week. i can't imagine what the series finale is going to be like.

Dan doesn't have an original thought in his head. He just repeats sound bytes he's picked up elsewhere. HE wont' engage in a genuine discussion because he couldn't handle it. Instead, he relies on catchy little phrases designed to get a rise out of people. Pathetic.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wendiness
    Dan doesn't have an original thought in his head. He just repeats sound bytes he's picked up elsewhere. HE wont' engage in a genuine discussion because he couldn't handle it. Instead, he relies on catchy little phrases designed to get a rise out of people. Pathetic.
    having lived a formerly christian life, i can honestly say everything we preached was "catchy little phrases" that we memorized out of a book... nothing original there either. so what's the difference?
    Last edited by barefootdyke; 03-05-2005 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp12212
    I can relate more to the peace mom than the military mom. I don't hate this country but I am as liberal as the peace family.

I like Dan for sticking up for his beliefs but he is a little too aggressive. His ideas I cherish dearly but the way he approached it with Cheri = wrong.

Oh and about taking down the rainbow flag. Yes Cheri is probably homophobic.
    I completely agree with you on all accounts. Maybe we're in the minority here, but whatever happened to freedom of speech?? Too many people are talking about "sending Dan to Iraq" or "shutting Dan up"...excuse me?? This is EXACTLY what he was trying to point out- it's about FREEDOM OF SPEECH. However, with that said, I will point out that the way Dan went about it was COMPLETELY UNCALLED FOR. There was no reason he needed to be so damn spiteful to ChristianBushSupporterMom and I really wanted to smack some sense into the father for standing there and not saying anything. I'm a liberal person and VERY far left, I don't think there is anything wrong with being ashamed of your country (long as you have a GOOD damn reason to be- and I think a LOT of us DO these days), but I would NEVER teach my daughter to be so disrespectful of her elders.
    "I only run if I'm being chased" (Dominique- Making the Band 3)

Quote Originally Posted by karen14
    QBoots I gotta agree that it may be to late. I could see this kid becoming the next American Taliban.
    I'm sorry but it's quotes like these that really anger me. Just because the kid was rude, is anti-american, wants to burn a flag, does NOT make him a terrorist. I am VERY anti-war, I'm extremely ashamed of my country right now, I am anti-bush and I don't see anything wrong with burning the flag (just see it as a protest. I doubt I would ever go that far, but I support the right to freedom to speak your mind and do so), but that does NOT a terrorist make. I'm tired of those assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by captrick
    I KNEW this would come up....my point in that part was that it was a "political" symbol, and my rule was no political symbols besides the flag and a yellow ribbon.

So noone gets me wrong......my views on gay rights.....as you know, I am a Christian. I do believe that living a gay lifestyle is immoral. I also believe that sex before marriage is immoral, being an alcoholic, adultery, and so on are also immoral. What I DON'T believe is that I should HATE anyone for the lifestyle they live. Because a person chooses to live a gay lifestyle DOES NOT make them evil, depraved, or a bad person. I know many gay men and women I think are wonderful people and I love them dearly. Just as I love every one of my friends who are ALL sinners in one way or another. I do not support the part of their life I feel is sinnful....that's it. Believe me, if I were without sin....why on earth would Jesus have died for me? Only difference, in my eyes between a gay person and me....is that I wake up each day trying one foot in front of the other to stear away from sin...however poor of a job I may do.....and they wake up each day "in" it....does that explain it?

"in" it?? WHat is THAT supposed to mean?? Edited because I want to follow the rules set here...but I want to add one more thing- it is incredibly narrow-minded for any individual to take down ONE replica of tolerance, be it a rainbow flag or any sign of something that is for tolerance. Why couldn't you have ignored it and let it be?? I found it incredibly offensive and homophobic.
    Last edited by EVOO; 03-07-2005 at 10:31 PM.

This show has jumped the shark

In my opinion, intolerance is intolerance, no matter which side. I guess I would be classified as a "liberal", and have 3 children including 2 teenagers. My house is spotless, my kids do chores, and my eldest (17) has views not dissimilar to Dan. However, because she has been taught to respect herself and others, she would never be rude to other people because they have different views. I agree with whoever said upthread that this show stereotypes liberals as beng slovenly with bratty kids, and conservatives as uptight neat freaks, with regimented children.

I guess it makes for good TV...or so the thought goes. I am also sure that editing goes a long ways in these shows. I, for one, would like to see a show that contains humour, acceptance, and would leave me feeling like it was not trying to widen an already large rift in the fabric of society. What happened to the moderates? Can't we all just get along?

+ Reply to Thread