+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 146

Thread: 3/2 show discussion *spoilers*

  1. #111
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4

    Loved the Show

    I loved the show, especially showing and contrasting the differences in the views, that is what America is all about. The right of people to openly disagree. The liberal son (Dan?) was abrasive...but it's probably has a lot to do with that he's a teenager, and I saw a short clip of his mother talking to him about it after they reunited. Hopefully as he grows older he becomes more empathetic and understanding of other people's views and he learns that listening is part of communication.
    I was not that impressed with the conservative mother. I found her equally abrasive. Why would anyone think a military style would be an appropriate way to also raise a family, unless straight shoes and well made beds were the most important aspect of a family life? I'm glad she saw some need to change in the end, but taking a step back, it seems her family was the most screwed up. I thought it was funny that she said that the husband needed to be the head of the household, when in reality it was always her. I would like to know if she thinks Jesus would have enlisted in the Iraq war?

  2. #112
    . karen14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Texas. Where else?
    Age
    45
    Posts
    3,524
    Quote Originally Posted by cmgal
    When I was in Florence, Italy two years ago, rainbow flags with the word "Pace"(Peace) were hanging out of many windows. I maybe wrong but I think the rainbow flag that Cheri took down, and replaced with the American flag, reflected the family's anti-war beliefs and not homosexual rights.
    Nope don't think so. Can't remember the exact words but I believe military mom asked if someone in the household was gay and the anti American family said they had it up as tolerance or sign of support to other lifestyles. Again, not exact words but that was the gist.

    Oh and yes I used anti-American to describe that whole family because if they allow their child to spout out hatred of his own country I can't believe they support it much themselves.

  3. #113
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by karen14
    Nope don't think so. Can't remember the exact words but I believe military mom asked if someone in the household was gay and the anti American family said they had it up as tolerance or sign of support to other lifestyles. Again, not exact words but that was the gist.

    Oh and yes I used anti-American to describe that whole family because if they allow their child to spout out hatred of his own country I can't believe they support it much themselves.
    Perhaps they support America differently than you. The kid has a right to disagree with his country's policies. Does he go to far, yes, most people would say so. But then again he's a kid. I'm assuming they pay taxes, they own a house, they have jobs and their kids are in schools. That just sounds awful. What you really hate is that they have different views than you. Perhaps Dan could be like most everybody on this board and state something like America is the greatest country and it is always right. At one time, prior to WWII, most Germans thought they were right and superior and everybody got in to step with their government. Sounds like something you are advocating only in the U.S. It's funny but in the end of the show the liberal wife was the one that made the most impact... on the conservative family. And during the discussion with the families, it was the conservative wife who complained the most.

  4. #114
    Retired! hepcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    in a good place
    Posts
    27,046
    I think we need some clarification here.

    It's okay to comment on everyone's actions on the show. It is not allowed to argue with another member here on FORT simply because that member is on a reality show. You can criticize what you saw on television, but don't engage in fights here.

    If you've been on a reality show, understand that you're not always going to find fans on the message boards.

    Posts that bait and insult other members will always be deleted, no matter who is involved.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

  5. #115
    Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    8,049
    I always find it sad that people believe that their lifestyle(s) are better than someone else's, simply because of religion. Hypocritical and bigoted people are the toughest to ever understand or open up to, let alone have an intelligent conversation with.

    This episode bored me because, IMO..no matter what was said/done.. there was going to be no "openness to other beliefs" in the end.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

  6. #116
    FORT Newbie cmgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by karen14
    Nope don't think so. Can't remember the exact words but I believe military mom asked if someone in the household was gay and the anti American family said they had it up as tolerance or sign of support to other lifestyles. Again, not exact words but that was the gist.

    Oh and yes I used anti-American to describe that whole family because if they allow their child to spout out hatred of his own country I can't believe they support it much themselves.
    I guess I didn't hear that exchange.

    Also, I think Mina and Dan are more anti American than Greg and the younger son. Greg appears to lack a backbone but I was glad to see that he tried to reprimand Dan when he was so rude to Cindy and made her cry. Didn't seem to help, unfortunately.

    I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but why does it seem that, in most episodes of WS and TS, the "conservative, pro-American, meat eating Republicans" have well-behaved children and are willing to make changes to give their family a better and happier life.

  7. #117
    FORT Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by cmgal
    I guess I didn't hear that exchange.

    Also, I think Mina and Dan are more anti American than Greg and the younger son. Greg appears to lack a backbone but I was glad to see that he tried to reprimand Dan when he was so rude to Cindy and made her cry. Didn't seem to help, unfortunately.

    I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but why does it seem that, in most episodes of WS and TS, the "conservative, pro-American, meat eating Republicans" have well-behaved children and are willing to make changes to give their family a better and happier life.
    The conservative father mentioned that he felt distanced from his wife and the "well-behaved children". Perhaps this family is "willing to make changes" because they "needed" to make changes. Maybe there is something more tangible than "well-behaved childeren", perhaps it's happy children that interact well with their parents and vise versa. Life is too short.

    Anyway, we really don't know or shouldn't read how much these shows really impact their families because we don't know. The shows are edited for entertainment purposes and to get the most response for ratings, we really don't know what video remains on the editing floor. We really only see the snipits or seconds of peoples reactions in an edited version. I really hope Dan sees himself and his responses in a new light. And for that matter, I hope all of the participants of this show do. I applaud them for going on a show and going through the ordeal, but if I were in their shoes, I could never have submitted my family through the experience. But I don't know if my family would have been ever been selected for a show like this, it appears the producers are looking for extremes to contrast the differences in the participants.

  8. #118
    FORT Newbie Lena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by captrick
    I KNEW this would come up....my point in that part was that it was a "political" symbol, and my rule was no political symbols besides the flag and a yellow ribbon.

    I certainly understood why you took down the rainbow flag. Nothing homophobic about it.

  9. #119
    FORT Fogey lambikins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Maveno
    I always find it sad that people believe that their lifestyle(s) are better than someone else's, simply because of religion. Hypocritical and bigoted people are the toughest to ever understand or open up to, let alone have an intelligent conversation with.

    This episode bored me because, IMO..no matter what was said/done.. there was going to be no "openness to other beliefs" in the end.
    Maveno. I had some things to post but...well, you know...it's a little crowed in this thread, now.

    Instead, a Smiley to wrap up last nights show:
    Still crazy, after all these shears

    "lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

    "lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

  10. #120
    shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    michigan
    Age
    51
    Posts
    6,746
    i recorded the show and just watched it today, while browsing this board as it went along. there is so much i want to respond to, but then it would be a huge post, so i don't think i will. i'll just say a couple of things ...


    i think i'm in the minority, but i liked dan. yes, he comes on strong ... but he's 17, and he's sprouting his wings as a young adult. he's actually a very intelligent person and expresses himself very well. how many 17 year olds can you say that about?

    re: the scene where the couples meet ... cheri had lots of faith in her god, but little faith in her husband/marriage. this makes me sad...because i was in her shoes once. i wasn't in the military, but i was married to a minister and was deeply involved in my faith ... so i saw so much of the "old" me in her.

    i now am more like mina and i am a whole lot happier with myself, no matter what "lifestyle" (what the heck is that?) i live.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.