+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

The thing that surprised me the most on this episode were the statements of black-on-black and white-on-white racism. At first I could not understand why these folks wanted to be on the show when there is not even a cash prize involved, but at least there was some growth shown -- except that I did not hear a change of heart from the white mom's position that white males are naturally more servile. Huh??? That's not even a stereotype -- I never heard that crazy position before! I am glad her cute kids were able to have someone else give them a different perspective. Maybe she likes to be just a housekeeper, wife and mother (although that is a recipe for disaster financially if anything ever happens to the husband), but her daughters should know they have other options. Both family's kids seemed nice; what a good change of pace after watching those nanny shows

FORT Newbie

when does a 'job' end?

Ashleyd--You are comparing being a housewife to a regular job with a paycheck. Tell me, when does your job end? Do you have to wake up in the middle of the night to deal with a crying boss? Do you have to stop what you are doing twenty times a day to help a three year old go to the potty when they are being potty trained? Do you have to work all day 8-5 and then go home and work for the boss until he goes to bed, and then stay up past that to get anything personal done you need to do? You cannot compare a round the clock responsiblity as a parent/housewife to a regular job that has set parameters and compensation. It has been researched by insurance companies when deciding the amount to insure a "housewife" for life insurance, what is costs to replace her. If it comes down to needing a full time nanny--at bare minimum, $25,000 a year, a maid-- $3000 a year (if she comes once a week--and then what about the house the rest of the week?) a cook-- $15,000 a year, a chauffer --$30,000 a year--you get the idea, it would be well over $70K a year to hire someone to do all the jobs a housewife does. I can tell you I get paid NOTHING near that, LOL! And those people would have set hours and get to go home in the eveningI put in a full day of "work" myself while my husband is at his job. When he comes home, I am just as tired and worn out as he is, and we are a team to get things done around here. I am not an indentured servant (gotta choose that term carefully) just because he earns money and pays the bills. Why should my job be 14 hours a day and his be 8?

Quote Originally Posted by ashleyd
    Doreen said she didn't like kids so I doubt that she did it on purpose. LaShelle loves children so she probably had hers on purpose.
    :rolleyes What is this "on purpose" stuff? When you are willingly injected with semen, pretty good chance you might become a Mom.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Exactly Zaaam!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest
    The thing that surprised me the most on this episode were the statements of black-on-black and white-on-white racism.

I noticed this too, that's why I didn't take a position that one family (mom's in particular) was so much better than the other. Both families had issues to work out.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

All I can say is any mother who openly states she "hates kids" and who prefers watching TV all night as opposed to sitting down and sharing dinner and a little bit of quailty time with her family is going to have to yell a whole lot louder for me to hear (and believe) her protests that she is, indeed, actually a remarkably good, kind, loving and attentive mother. Watching this particular episode left me with such an ugly taste in my mouth, I'm still completely appalled, aghast and disgusted.

When Ben tried to talk to Doreen to present his point of view about something and Doreen stormed away insisting that "the chicken is ready," it proved to me that Doreen has no patience for anyone's opinion other than her own. The way she was portrayed on this show, no one could possibly be right if they don't agree with her, and lest they say something that might make sense or prove her wrong, she'd rather slam the door and storm off than hear the other person out. She was so rude and acted so stupidly, and I was amazed that Ben could tolerate her crap with such class.

Today I wrote my mom a letter and told her how much I loved her. When we were growing up, she couldn't get enough of us, encouraged us, hugged us, played with us, and never missed a chance to show us how special we were to her. It just breaks my heart to think about a mother who treats her kids so rudely as Doreen does her own. That's just not right.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    LaShelle was a sweet person with good intentions.. that's all fine and dandy.
    But, when you're teaching your children that there are NO better things to do in life other than give birth to children and serve your man?! Uhh..that's when I think she's teaching incorrectly.
    Sure, those ideas may be her ideal lifestyle and her only way of making herself feel 'important' in life.. but children shouldn't be shoe-horned into a lifestyle because mommy decided to homeschool them things that she knows.
    Other than the "female duties" (her husband's words) of birthing and serving hand & foot ... what educational background does SHE have to be able to give her kids the appropriate education they NEED?!
    But, I digress.. the homeschooling didn't bother me. It was the servitude, female duties and the pigsty of a house that overshadowed anything else.

I understand that having rambunctious children is a 24/7 job.. they do make messes. At some point in your jobless day though, don't you look at the dust on the vcr? Or notice that the microwave is the petri dish that all scientists DREAM to test?!

Lazy! That's the one word I can sum up of that family after seeing the house. I think the last time the fan was dusted (anyone see it all falling while he was dusting it?) was in 1976, when it was INSTALLED!

I didn't understand how he could just sit there and not care. Waitttt a second.. yes I can. As long as his pincushion-wife was the one to take those responsibilities on, and admit OPENLY that they are, in fact, HER chores.. WHY get up and improve anything in the house?!
    They (mom/dad) have NO class, whatsoever. The mess outside the house was enough for me to come to that conclusion. What on God's green earth would make them care what goes on INSIDE the home if the outside looks like a crackhouse!? The answer..nothing. Or are they trying to tell us that the show, Wife Swap, magically punched them in the gut with reality?! :rolleyes I really doubt it.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

FORT Newbie
    Yes, I was look at my big fat A***, and my voice was not my voice. I know I can be loud, but the directors kept having my scream my son Rashad name and Eric name that by the first day of rule change with Eric, I was losing my voice. When I exploded with LaShelle about calling my son a slave there were other things I was exploding about also that they cut out and just showed that part. She had informed me my son Rashad was unhappy, and my husband had asked him if he were unhappy and he stated he was and he asked him why a Rashad say because LaShelle is here. So when she told me about my son Rashad I was also letting her have that she did not know all of the reason about his unhappiness. The basketball game. Now let me tell you the whole story. My husband and the boys played one game. LaShelle stated that they were not finish she want them to play longer. Guy informed her that Rashad had a running noise and was getting sick and he had been out long enough. LaShelle say NO it's my rules and I want you to stay out there longer playing ball. Guy put his foot down and said NO, my son is has a running noise and he is going in (this is another part you did not see). Guy is really a great person who is great with my boys. Guy was really upset and acted the way he did with LaShelle because she came into our household and informed us our raising of our children was wrong and her raising of her children was the correct way. He told LaShelle let's agree to disagree and LaShelle was like No her way was correct. LaShelle was the same way at my job, she told some female coworkers that women should not work and they should be at home with their children taking care of them and submitting to their husbands. Eric and myself really got along we still talk and I send them and the children care packets. Eric and I would stay up until early in the morning talking about the show. He really is a good person. As far as me stating I do not like children, I really do not like to be around children, only my own, this is how I feel, most children I am around they are running jumping all over and not listening to their parents. My sons listen to me and don't play that time out crap. There was a part where I was yelling at my oldest son and that was VERY REAL, the show did not edit it. My son's both get all A's and my oldest son is on the National Honor Roll. His teacher had just call me and informed me about his report card which he did not bring home and was not at the level he should be at and it was because of him hanging with his friends and I was very upset his grades had fallen. I did see the Texan interracial couple and did not like the Texan woman. Hope I answer your questions.

Doe/Doreen

zaam - birth control.

dinkybean - it sounds like you work very hard. I am not convinced that all housewives, LaShelle included, actually work all day. I work all of my hours straight while housewives have more leeway so saying it is a 24 hr. job isn't necessarily true - if it was Ellen, Oprah, and soap operas wouldn't exist because housewives would be too busy to watch.

FORT Newbie
    InsideOut - One, the other husband's name is Eric, not Ben. Two, my sons are love all the time and happy sorry to bust your bubble. You can be appalled, aghast and disgusted and everything else but we are a happy family and that is all that matters in this house hold. So right now I am rude go hug your momma again for me.

+ Reply to Thread