+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I have heard very persausive arguments and statistics for home schooling. But, people like LaShelle make me wonder...

FORT Fan
    I, too, have noticed the homeschoolers on these shows. As an educator all of my life and a mother of three boys, I know there is no harder" fulltime" job than to try to educate all of your children at home. I have seen people who do an awesome job and I have seen really good, intelligent parents fail, because they could not commit the kind of time necessary to doing it right. There is no way LaShelle can do it all fo all of her kids and still keep a spotless house. I think Doreen was portrayed in a more negative light than she really is. She obviously has the characteristics to be a good mom, keep a nice house: however I have nothing good to say about her choice of husband. Were the boys actually hers, his, or theirs?

POD
    FORT Newbie
    I may be wrong, but I just don't see how one person, with only a High School education and no advanced degree can homeschool a child past the sixth grade.

Consider the subjects typically covered in middle school and high school; Chemistry, Biology, Physics, US and European History,Algebra, calculus, trig, geometry, English & American Literature, health, foreign languages, etc. etc. I just think it takes a lot of arrogance on the part of a parent to assume that they can replace teachers who have spent years getting advanced degrees in their respective fields.

I question the true motivation of these parents. There is usually a religious agenda at play, combined with a fear and distrust of the outside world and influences. I think they are denying their kids a proper education. You can impart your religious values to your kids without denying them everything school has to offer. Just my opinion!

FORT Fan
    Pod, I agree with you certainly about the socialization. We have a term for those kids who come to us after inadequate homeschooling--they were "homed". It's all about the parent making the committment to spend lots of time doing it--what we have seen on many of these shows is a parent who is unwilling to commit the time necessary to teach and supervise. I have seen non-reading kids enroll in the public school 5th grade after "homing" .

I'm truly sorry if this comes across as ignorant...but did anyone else think that Doreen's son (the older one, I forget his name), and Doreen herself, may have taken offense to be called the word 'slave' because of America's history of slavery in African-Americans?

FORT Fan
    One more comment on this subject: Only the most motivated children will do well at home. Often parents will try to homeschool their child who has social or motivational problems, only to find out that the child has shut down at home as well.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Casheli
    I'm truly sorry if this comes across as ignorant...but did anyone else think that Doreen's son (the older one, I forget his name), and Doreen herself, may have taken offense to be called the word 'slave' because of America's history of slavery in African-Americans?
    Sure, that was the basis for the sensitivity, but Doreen herself used the word to describe LaShelle. I don't think LaShelle intended to cause harm, but it was insensitive to use that particular word.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by POD
    I may be wrong, but I just don't see how one person, with only a High School education and no advanced degree can homeschool a child past the sixth grade.
    Public school teachers are often incompetent, uncaring morons anyway.
    A lot of stupid people go into teaching and I heard the education programs at universities are stupid too. It's laughable how teachers do not want to get tested for competency.

I think many people are homeschooling because public schools are doing such a bad job of educating and are traumatizing kids with bullies, teasing, etc.

I don't think schools are good at socializing kids in a good way. I think they're good at exposing kids to lots of other kids who abuse them every day.
    Last edited by OilPainter; 02-24-2005 at 02:34 AM.

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by primadonna
    Sure, that was the basis for the sensitivity, but Doreen herself used the word to describe LaShelle. I don't think LaShelle intended to cause harm, but it was insensitive to use that particular word.
    I'm sorry, but slave is the most apt word to describe the way Doreen insisted on being treated by her husband and children. I didn't get any feeling of insensitivity because of black history, I perceived her feeling sensitive about it because the truth hurts.

But let's assume that she shouldn't have used the term "slave" - what was she supposed to use, "indentured servant?" Totally lacks the force of the word "slave."

I was in the teaching profession for several years and encountered many teachers with qualifying credentials who couldn't teach and yet I have a few friends with only high school educations that home schooled with successful results and I must say their children now have degrees and post graduate degrees. Why? These women had a passion abd curiosity to read, learn and pass on their knowledge. That's what it takes to be a good educator.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread