+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

It is so funny. I watch this show every week and I assumed that everyone else watching pretty much agreed with me - each week it seems so obvious who is the better woman to me. This is my first week here - I will have to come back to see how abnormal my opinions are.

Doreen isn't perfect but I would've thought someone would have stood up for her. LaShelle is soft spoken because she is a child. Now at the end of the show, poor Eric has been suckered into not only providing all of the family's income but now he is going to help do her job too? Give me a break. And, yes, I expect her house to be clean. She choose to be a housewife and she chose to have 5 kids. I would be fired from my real job if I performed so poorly.

I didn't find her abrasive just loud. I am loud. Don't see anything wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleyd

The slave thing was silly - but she wasn't the only hypocrite. No one here has called Eric out for saying at the beginning of the show that she was a stereotypical black women and then accusing her attitude being the problem with race relations later.
    Perhaps because some of us, at least myself, agreed with his initial assesment and he wasnt as abrasive about it as Doreen was with her comments.

Come on, all she had said to him at that point was do you think we can do this? (or something along those lines) with a smile on her face. And besides, there aren't levels of hyprocrisy. You either are or you aren't, being hyprocritical with a nice tone of voice doesn't change the fact you are being a hyprocrite.

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    Well, to many people loud = abrasive. That's not meant to be pejorative, but is just the truth.

There is no real "better" here - Doreen has good qualities and so does LaShelle. I'm very happy that Doreen learned to spend more time with her kids and act like a team player in the family and not its queen. I'm happy that Eric learned to appreciate LaShelle and is acting more like a team player. I am not entirely sure what LaShelle learned, because she isn't working - but her kids are an 18 hr/day job and it's good that she gets a little more appreciation for that. I'm glad her kids learned from Doreen that they can do more than just be housewives. I'm glad Guy and the kids are getting to spend more time with Doreen.

It was a good experiment, but I cringe at what some people must be saying about Doreen and the generalizations they may be making about black women.

I agree with almost everything you said. I don't LaShelle deserves appreciation anymore than I do for the job I am paid to do. I don't expect the man who signs my paychecks to do my job - and it is essentially the same situation. And, I fear that people will come away with the impression that white women are meek breeders.

And, as a parting note, people need to get over the loud=abrasive thing. We are people too

HOLY COW, Ashleyd!! If you think that coming home from work and laying around all night while your family waits on you hand and foot is ok....thank God I'm not your child! It's definately ok to lay around if you don't have children..."mistakes" or not....you must be a parent to your children.

Now, Lashelle definately needed to take a few lessons in the "clean" department of her SAHM duties...but as a person, I found her to be closer to what I would expect a wife and mother to be. And just because she chose to marry and have kids out of High School and take a "traditional" roll doesn't mean she's "retarded" or "mental". Talk about being abrassive.....

Nah, I don't think it is OK that she expects to be waited on hand and foot. I just think she is better than the other one.

I knew that calling her retarded would offend someone. But, she is not my idea of a wife and mother. And I don't think tradition is necessarily the best way to do things. I take a particulary hardline on housewives that I won't get into here, but I will admit that it is abrasive. We all have our pet peeves.

POD
    FORT Newbie
    All the parent's who have appeared on the show who homeschool their kids convince me that this practice is a big mistake. These children aren't being prepared to deal with the outside world, they aren't socialized with other kids, and there is no way that they're receiving a proper education that will prepare them for college or a career. What makes these parents think they can do a better job than trained professional educators? These girls are all different ages, learning at different levels. Do you think that mom is ever going to teach her daughter's trig and calculus?

And there's nothing wrong with growing up and becoming a mom and housewife, but the fact that those girls weren't taught that they can go to college and have a career is pathetic and backward.

Quote Originally Posted by POD
    All the parent's who have appeared on the show who homeschool their kids convince me that this practice is a big mistake.
    You shouldn't judge the majority of the population by what you see on this show. I happen to know a young man that has been homeschooled. IMO he is one of the most intelligent, articulate, mature young men I have ever met. He happens to be a member here at FORT. I think everyone that knows him would agree.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 02-23-2005 at 11:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread