+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    :rolleyes Oh comeon!! Why would a friend say that in an email?
    I know you aren't like they showed you to be. I was in your house and saw how you were with your children and the wonderful meal you gave them and even sent some home for Andy and me.
    Uhh..why would she have to say that to YOU? Aren't YOU the one who already knows that you cooked a wonderful meal and EVEN sent some home for Andy and her?!?!

SHANANIGANS!
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

As much as I'm enjoying this..I must go home & straight to bed, I've got a family to ignore!

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doe7267
    Too, too funny. Doreen, I was just going to write you about last nights show. I made my sister and her family watch it and told them all about you and your family. My sister read what you said in the morning Free Press. Did the producers of that show ask you to act different than you really are? I know you aren't like they showed you to be. I was in your house and saw how you were with your children and the wonderful meal you gave them and even sent some home for Andy and me. I've always been impressed with you and Guy and how you both talk about your boys. By the way, they sure looked cute last night. Marques has really grown up and is actually very handsome. I felt you were trying to make a point about women not having to stay in old fashioned traditional roles and that was good and I didn't blame Guy for getting angry with what that other wife said to him. I don't think you were portrayed fairly. Anyway, it was good getting to see you all again, even if it was just on a TV show.
    Oh please. :rolleyes Give me a break.

This has all been very entertaining, but the backpeddling and sucking up in the last couple pages of this thread is making me dizzy. I need some wine. Better yet, maybe I'll go to bed and then yell at my husband to bring it to me.

It seemed clear to me - though I realize I could be wrong, and "clear" is subjective - that LaShelle came from some sort of Christian fundamentalist-type background. One that, as is often the case, stresses the wife/mother not working outside the home (or even necessarily going to college) but rather staying at home with the (many!) children, home schooling them, instilling a belief in the girls that the greatest thing they can do is be a wife and mommy and serve their husbands. I do think LaShelle herself sincerely believes what she is teaching her daughters about women's roles.

I did love her kids. I could have spent the rest of the show just watching those girls, they were so adorable!

FORT Newbie
    People who don't have kids shouldn't be so judgemental about people who do. When you're totally clueless you shouldn't be giving advice. Being a parent is one of those things you have to actually experience to totally understand. And even then you don't totally understand it, because my kids are different from her kids who are different from his kids. Within the same family kids are different. One kid can be a neatnik and help out around the house and another kid could be the Tazmanian Devil. So until you're in the middle of it, it's best to keep quiet.

Both these families had great kids. Yes the girls were a little backward in their thinking but they seemed adorable. None of these kids were rude. The boys seemed like respectful young men. So I suspect there's some good parenting going on here in both these families.

It sounds like the producers go in with a concept and then mold the footage around that concept. For instance someone could say "I don't hate kids," and they could edit it to "I hate kids." Simple really.

I think women need to value what other women do instead of judgeing them. I've known housewives who look down on women who work outside the home, and women who work outside the home look down on housewives. It's stupid. We need to value all women's work.

What I don't understand is, if I were going on the show, I woudl clean up my house for the cameras.

You're on the wrong site if you want people to be "quiet" about opinions.

What. a. bunch. of. freaks. Where does ABC find these people? (Just the 4 "grown-ups" I mean. The 5 Bray children were the most adorable little kids I've seen in a long time.) Guy is the biggest A-hole I think I've seen yet. I'm kind of sorry that Doreen turned out to be less demanding than we were led to believe, because he truly deserves to be run ragged for the rest of his days. :phhht
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    i'm just now watching this and doreen is pissing me off with her calling the guy a chauvinstic pig .... because SHE is the chauvinistic.

Empress NaBisco
    Quote Originally Posted by Maiki
    What I don't understand is, if I were going on the show, I woudl clean up my house for the cameras.
    Agreed!

And what is it with the laundry? I admit that I am not the world's best house cleaner, but laundry is not so challenging.

Spray on Shout!
    Put laundry in one machine
    Put laundry in second machine
    Fold laundry while watching reality television

And if you have taught your kids how to sort the laundry, you've made it even easier!

There is always one family that seems to be overwhelmed by the laundry. Is it really that challenging for some people, or do the producers encourage that?

Captrick, how was your laundry situation?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ashleyd
    Dinky -

And, you are right it is something I will never understand. When this show came out I told my husband I wanted to do it so I could see if being a stay at home mom is as difficult as they claim it is. I do know that my grandmothers did it without complaint and without help. I know that working moms do everything that stay at home moms do and they have a job, like my mom did.

Hey, want to go on the show with me? You could show me the light. Plus, I don't have kids and, much like Doreen and her husband, my husband and I generally do our own thing. So, it would be like a vacation. My only caveat is that you would have to go home at the end of the two weeks no matter how much you enjoyed my carefree life!

SUre, Ash, I will switch with you (SORRY I didn't reply earlier, I don't have time to play on the computer and eat bon bons all day, ha-ha!) You will love my family, we are a lot of fun!

In reference to your grandmothers, I am not saying they had it easy by any means, (my grandma worked, BTW, and was never a housewife type) but I think we do make things harder on ourselves now. Here where I live it is a very spread out area, and our kids are involved in too many things these days, many of my stay at home mom friends spend 25% of their day driving. That effectively eliminates the possiblity of getting housework done, they are not even home. Second, we buy our kids so many stinking toys and clothes, the cleaning is a bigger job. I personally do 20 loads of laundry a week. Two loads of sheets, two loads of towels at least, baby clothes and bedding,etc, clothes of three girls who are always spilling things, playing in dirt/paint/ etc, or wetting her pants, and then my and my husband's clothes. He does his own work out clothes, but that is about it. I often think, if my kids just had enough clothes to last them through 4-5 days, I wouldn't have so much laundry to do! Plus, I know my sitch is different because 4-5 hours a day are spent home schooling, which eliminates house work time as well. We are so concerned with enriching our kids lives, and our mom's and grandma's generations were not like that. Kids left in the morning and played God knows where all day, it was safe and everyone looked out for everyone! Now I spend a lot more time interacting with my kids than my mom ever did. It is a different philosophy almost.

Anyway, your life sounds pretty good to me, so I would swap in a minute!!! And I promise I would go home at the end. I would have a dramatic run back to my own husband set to cornball music to do for the cameras, after all

+ Reply to Thread