Closed Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by sugarlady
    I think they are an odd couple that I would have never put together but it works for them.
    That says it all, sugarlady. And there have been odder combinations that I've seen and have succeeded.

I'm surprised that there isn't a single article from THEM, defending their side of the story.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

The pickings for single men were limited when I lived in Austin. Interracial dating was one method to stretch the available options.

I was surprised to see so many articles written on the show already. I will have to make time to read them this weekend.

Premium Member
    I never got the impression that Kristine's husband was ever comfortable with the swap. Brian just went along with the program and did not cause any friction unlike most of the husbands featured on Wife Swap. He was uncomfortable with the mass sleepover/party and dancing at the gay club. He looked very happy and relieved to have Kristine back home and referred to her as a diamond. I think they are an odd couple that I would have never put together but it works for them.
    Well, unless he lied to her when he told her he enjoyed having her there. I thought he seemed sincere at the time that he said it. Could be that he's such a wuss that he just says whatever makes everyone happy.

Quote Originally Posted by rondave
    Typical Republican Hypocrite
    Several of us have already said this but I'll say it again. This family does not represent the "typical Republican".
    Last edited by Marleybone; 02-11-2005 at 01:03 AM.

I never got the impression that Kristine's husband was ever comfortable with the swap. Brian just went along with the program and did not cause any friction unlike most of the husbands featured on Wife Swap. He was uncomfortable with the mass sleepover/party and dancing at the gay club.
    Sugarlady,

How'd you get that impression, after he told Chris that he enjoyed having her there, actually appeared to enjoy having Chris there, appreciated that she opened up his daughter's artistic talents, and stated that he valued Chris's visit because it made him realize that his kids need more fun in their lives?

You know, my emotions are still raw from last night and in a sense I'm still reeling from it. Someone mentioned how unnerved they were after watching Mississippi Burning- I felt the same way watchcing this last night. It bothered me to the core. I have a hard time understanding how people can just be so ugly.

TV rarely gets to me like that- at least show-wise. I think the last time I got worked up over a show was when I watched If These Walls Could Talk (first one) but that was a movie.
    "I only run if I'm being chased" (Dominique- Making the Band 3)

Its a peculiar thing what folks can justify while waving The Good Book in their hands. How ironic, in times past (and I'm 50 years old) I've even heard people speak against interracial marriage because of verses plucked from The Bible. I'm not sure what was more appalling to me..the lack of intolerance..or that disingenuous prayer at the end of the show.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Empress NaBisco
    I never got the impression that Kristine's husband was ever comfortable with the swap. Brian just went along with the program and did not cause any friction unlike most of the husbands featured on Wife Swap. He was uncomfortable with the mass sleepover/party and dancing at the gay club. He looked very happy and relieved to have Kristine back home and referred to her as a diamond. I think they are an odd couple that I would have never put together but it works for them.
    Sugarlady, I got the same impression about Brian as you did. He seemed to stoically "endure" the swap more than anything else. He is so tightly wound, I think he would have had the same approach to the swap with whomever was in his house, regardless of who they slept with.

I heard an interesting opinion on the show from my mother yesterday. She is not religious, and a lifelong Democrat (fiscally and socially moderate) who had a gay son and was very accepting of his 17-year relationship with his partner. Anyway...

While she thought Kris was a little over-the-top, she thought the worst participant was Nikki! She found her to be very combative, a horrible mother, and very mean to Kristine. She suspects that Kristine does all of the work at home because she is afraid of angering Nikki.

I have to agree with her that Nikki is not too good of a mother. Lizzy was sassy and disrespectful, and appeared totally unsupervised and undisciplined. Many here have pointed out that kids raised like the Gillespie kids often rebel once they are away from home. Well, would anyone here be surprised if Lizzy ends up in trouble as a young adult?

I certainly won't.

While both families are extremes, I think the Gillespie kids have a much better foundation on which to build a happy and secure future for themselves.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    ...snippage...

Several of us have already said this but I'll say it again. This family does not represent the "typical Republican".
    Unfortunately they do represent the STEREO-typical republican. Which is one reason I don't like stereotypes - from all sides.

Interesting Followup

From http://u.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,211~23521~2697593,00.ht ml
    For lesbian mother Kristine Luffey, going on "Wife Swap" was a chance "to understand why people think the way they did." As it turned out, she says the most important thing she learned is that "people are jerks." The Arizona native swaps places with Kris Gillespie, an ultra-conservative Texas mother who believes gays are "depraved."

"I hoped they would have an open mind when they came and see that gay parents are no different than straight parents, that we just want the best for our children," adds Kristine, who shares equal parenting responsibilities along with her partner Nicki for their 8-year-old daughter.

That didn't happen. "From the minute Kris found out we were lesbians, she was totally p---ed off, wanting to leave and just being really rude to the production staff and Nicki."

Although ABC doesn't air Kris' leaving a night early, flames reignite in the post-reunion discussion. "Basically she called me a sexual predator and was afraid for the safety of her daughter when I was there, which is ridiculous and insulting," blasts Kristine. "That was after five minutes of just meeting her and after 10 days of being with her family and trying to do nice things. To be treated like that was so ignorant." Kristine has had no contact with the Gillespie family since filming.

Interesting...I wasn't aware that Kris left a night early. Obviously, ABC didn't point it out.
    ....You can't fix stupid.......Ron "Tater Salad" White

Out of fairness to Kris G., I wish that that family, especially "Man-Without-A-Spine Brian" , would have something to say. I keep searching online for Texas newspapers to have a say in the matter and there's been NOTHING!!!

I've been thinking about this a lot since the show aired and after reading all the well-thought out posts here, and I've decided that who I feel the most sorry for is the Gillespie children.

Even if they didn't mention a *peep* of this to the kids at school, prior to air time, there had to be SOMEONE at their school who saw the show. I know that High Schoolers can be brutal, so I can't help but imagine that they are taking a beating for their mom's attitudes, especially since the kid's are mixed race. I mean, realistically, how many Black/White families do you think exist in their Million Dollar Acres spread?!
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Closed Thread