Closed Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Y'all need to learn to play nice, before more of you get a time out from the site.

This is your only warning.

Quote Originally Posted by rondave
    Perhaps someone from the opposing side can explain logically, without forcing their own personal belief system on the rest of us, how allowing my partner and I to marry will destroy America. So far Canada seems to be holding up pretty well.
    Amsterdam hasn't fallen into the sea either. They also allow Same Sex unions.

What I've been puzzling over, is how can shows such as Will & Grace, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy/Girl, The Bird Cage and any other show that has completely GAY people on it, like Miss J and Nolan Miller from America's Next Top Model receive TOP ratings?! You'd think that if the majority of American's were upset by the concept of same sex love, that NONE of these shows would ever have made it on the air or been canceled in their first season.

I also have to give 'props' to ABC for airing this show, to begin with, especially when PBS spinelessly dropped that kids show where there was New Hampshire town with lots of "mommies". Putting any prejudice, against any demographic, out in the open, for people to benignly learn from, is how prejudice loses it's strength.
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    What I've been puzzling over, is how can shows such as Will & Grace, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy/Girl, The Bird Cage and any other show that has completely GAY people on it, like Miss J and Nolan Miller from America's Next Top Model receive TOP ratings?! You'd think that if the majority of American's were upset by the concept of same sex love, that NONE of these shows would ever have made it on the air or been canceled in their first season.
    I don't know lambikins.. could it be that it's just part of the slow process of moving toward acceptance? Just thinking out loud here.

Nicely put Lambikins, and very true Marleybone!

Well I think there is always going to be controversy when bigotry/religion is involved.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I don't know lambikins.. could it be that it's just part of the slow process of moving toward acceptance? Just thinking out loud here.
    I think that your thinking is onto something, Marleybone. I was watching during the holidays, so retrospective on ALL IN THE FAMILY. They were interviewing all the remaining cast members and had archive footage from Carol O' Connor about his character.

It was really interesting, because what the actors said, was that "we couldn't get away with saying ANY of those things today" because of the P.C. nature of society, BUT...it was the very fact that A.I.T.Family broached such subjects to begin with that made the difference.

When Sammy Davis Jr. kissed Carol, and the Jefferson's show aired, it really forged the way toward today's acceptance of Oprah and Tiger Woods as icons of every color of admirer.

It's just so hard to believe that it was ONLY back in 1967 that African Americans were still fighting for acceptance, over 100 years after the Civil War.

Maybe 30 years from now, all the Gays out there will remember these archaic times.

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

I'm from Texas and I just wanted to mention that I thoroughly hated that "excellent" Anti-Christian women. I think she does have pyschological problems --- just not being able to see the "pot calling the kettle black" problem in her argument probably shows she's delusional.

On the other hand, I really liked the gay couple especially the one that stayed with interracial family. I was really mad that anti-Christian Kris really hurt her feelings after she tried to show she is a good influence on this show regardless of her sexual preference. I don't think her sexual preference has anything to do with her being a good parent, but she'll never convince people like Anti-Christ Kris otherwise. If she's out there, I want her to know that she DID show what a great person she is and there are plenty of others here in Dallas who would agree with me --- in fact, I haven't found anyone here who doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne88
    I do not think you can equate being against gay marriage to being bigoted. There are reasons other than "I hate 'em" that people are against gay marraige.
    The word "bigot" is not a synonym for the word "hate."

From Harcourt, Brace Dictionary:

bigot: (n) 1.One whose attitude or behavior expresses intolerance, as because of race, religion, politics, etc... 2.A narrow-minded, intolerant adherent of a particular religion.

Opposing gay marriage on religious grounds is bigoted.
    Last edited by realfun; 02-10-2005 at 06:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne88
    I can certainly see where you are coming from in the point you are making. But everyone is not coming at it [marriage] from that same "religion has nothing to do with it" perspective. Hence the disagreement.
    Whether or not individuals choose to believe there is a religious aspect to marriage is a separate and distinct issue from the question of whether or not gays and lesbians are permitted the legal status of marriage in our society.

This country separates church and state. Our government is secular. Marriage, by definition, is a secular institution. Otherwise, heterosexual non-Christians would not be permitted to marry. There are lots of Jews, Muslims, atheists, Hindus, pantheists, etc... who are legally married in this country.

Religion -- or at least Christianity -- does not have anything to do with what it means, in the eyes of the law, to be married.

Certainly, one can view a Christian marriage as having something to do with religion. Churches are free to discourage, not perform, condemn, etc... marriages they don't endorse. However, our government is not a church. And churches do not dictate what is or is not legal in this country.

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    I think that your thinking is onto something, Marleybone. I was watching during the holidays, so retrospective on ALL IN THE FAMILY. They were interviewing all the remaining cast members and had archive footage from Carol O' Connor about his character.

It was really interesting, because what the actors said, was that "we couldn't get away with saying ANY of those things today" because of the P.C. nature of society, BUT...it was the very fact that A.I.T.Family broached such subjects to begin with that made the difference.

When Sammy Davis Jr. kissed Carol, and the Jefferson's show aired, it really forged the way toward today's acceptance of Oprah and Tiger Woods as icons of every color of admirer.

It's just so hard to believe that it was ONLY back in 1967 that African Americans were still fighting for acceptance, over 100 years after the Civil War.

Maybe 30 years from now, all the Gays out there will remember these archaic times.
    I said this the other day in another thread about this show.. When I was in high school around 1970-71 (my kids used to say that was when dinosaurs roamed the earth ) a friend of mine had to sneak around to see her boyfriend because she was a Missouri Synod Lutheran and he was Catholic. Their parents would not allow them to date because of that. So I guess we've come a long way to be debating the subject of gay couples!

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    I said this the other day in another thread about this show.. When I was in high school around 1970-71 (my kids used to say that was when dinosaurs roamed the earth ) a friend of mine had to sneak around to see her boyfriend because she was a Missouri Synod Lutheran and he was Catholic. Their parents would not allow them to date because of that. So I guess we've come a long way to be debating the subject of gay couples!
    Marleybone: That's the exact time that I was in High School, too! Long live the 70's! Speaking about prejudicial attitudes, this was FOR REAL: I grew up in a completely Scandinavian area so the elders had to "invent" their prejudices. They actually would discriminate against another family based on what county in Sweden or Norway their ancestors came from! Now, that's just low!.

They didn't concern themselves with the Danes or Finlander's, considering the former all Reprobates and the latter all Drunks. But they did concede that the Dane's made excellent pastries!

Thank God all those people are long, long gone. If you have to look that long and hard to not like someone, than you live a very small life, indeed.

Closed Thread