Closed Thread
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaaam
    Right! The Bible is their weapon, little does she know that God knows ugly.
    Well, you can see what family is truely happier. The only time Kris Gillespie smiled is when she talked about the size of her diamond ring.
    How can you really determine from that which family is happier? Was either family really happy? Heck! Lizzie got all excited about having a day where a "mom" gave her a full day of attention. That's happy?

I think that in many ways, they were two screwed up families when it started, and two screwed up families when it ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Anne88
    Heck, I have a dear friend who is both gay and against gay marraige. Does that mean he hates himself? I don't think so! He just happens to be both gay and very religious, and sees the Christian defitions of marriage being between a man and a woman to being much more clear than Christ's views on homosexuality.
    I've been looking for a 'friend' like that for years. Unable to locate one in California so far. :rolleyes

Contract

I do not think you can equate being against gay marriage to being bigoted. There are reasons other than "I hate 'em" that people are against gay marraige. Heck, I have a dear friend who is both gay and against gay marraige. Does that mean he hates himself? I don't think so! He just happens to be both gay and very religious, and sees the Christian defitions of marriage being between a man and a woman to being much more clear than Christ's views on homosexuality.

But marriage is a contract between two people, not a religious endeavor, otherwise, how could atheists get married? When you bring religion into the mix, it gets all muddy and confused. No church can stop your divorce proceeding, because it is handled by a court as a legal dissolution of a contract. Might the church be sad? Probably. But the legal system and the religious community are the oil-water mix they always have been.

You want to call it something else? A domestic partnership? O.K., call it whatever you want. But it's wrong for two people to live together and work to build a life together, only to have one of the couple die and the living one see the home she worked to hard to pay for given to the dead one's distant nephew because he is the nearest living relative. It's wrong not to extend medical coverage from one's employer the same as a traditional couple would get.

Really, when it comes right down to it, I think only of Rodney King's words as the riots were unfolding in Los Angeles... "Can't we all just get along?"

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by cyranosfriend
    But marriage is a contract between two people, not a religious endeavor, otherwise, how could atheists get married? When you bring religion into the mix, it gets all muddy and confused. No church can stop your divorce proceeding, because it is handled by a court as a legal dissolution of a contract. Might the church be sad? Probably. But the legal system and the religious community are the oil-water mix they always have been.

You want to call it something else? A domestic partnership? O.K., call it whatever you want. But it's wrong for two people to live together and work to build a life together, only to have one of the couple die and the living one see the home she worked to hard to pay for given to the dead one's distant nephew because he is the nearest living relative. It's wrong not to extend medical coverage from one's employer the same as a traditional couple would get.

Really, when it comes right down to it, I think only of Rodney King's words as the riots were unfolding in Los Angeles... "Can't we all just get along?"
    I can certainly see where you are coming from in the point you are making. But everyone is not coming at it from that same "religion has nothing to do with it" perspective. Hence the disagreement.

Can't we all just get along? Sure! As soon as ALL of us stop villifying those who don't agree with us! Declaring those who disagree to be bigoted is not a step in the right direction.

I can certainly see where you are coming from in the point you are making. But everyone is not coming at it from that same "religion has nothing to do with it" perspective. Hence the disagreement.

Can't we all just get along? Sure! As soon as ALL of us stop villifying those who don't agree with us! Declaring those who disagree to be bigoted is not a step in the right direction.

Just to clarify.... I only said that Mrs. G was a bigot, not every person who disagrees with gay rights, and after watching that show, how I came to that opinion is quite obvious to me.... If you read the first posts, you will see I am far from the only one who came to that conclusion....

As long as we still can call a bigot a bigot.

divided

It says something about the division of this country that so many of us feel so strongly about the issue of prejudice and gay marriage. So much so that we found and joined a discussion group to vent our frustration over this show's poking at our soft spots.

Happily, however, I can recall learning of times this country was divided once before and prevailed. One time was called the Civil War. Then there was the civil rights movement. Each time we (eventually) did the right thing. I wonder if this episode were to be shown 30 years from now, what do you think people will say about it then?

Perhaps someone from the opposing side can explain logically, without forcing their own personal belief system on the rest of us, how allowing my partner and I to marry will destroy America. So far Canada seems to be holding up pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by cyranosfriend
    I wonder if this episode were to be shown 30 years from now, what do you think people will say about it then?
    I think the vast majority of people will be shocked that there were people that mean spirited and narrow minded just a few decades ago. Kind of like I felt when I watched Mississippi Burning.

Quote Originally Posted by rondave
    Perhaps someone from the opposing side can explain logically, without forcing their own personal belief system on the rest of us, how allowing my partner and I to marry will destroy America. So far Canada seems to be holding up pretty well.

I am of the opinion that they can't explain. All that will happen is a quote of the Bible. Which will result in our quote of the Bible, as in, "Judge not, least the be judged," and, "Love thy neighbor as you love yourself." In the end, we will agree to disagree, and have accomplished nothing.

Closed Thread