Closed Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: 2/9 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins
    Suffice it to say, Kristine was bang-on when she mentioned that "back in 1967 there were people who would object to Chris marrying a White Man and that it could be interpreted as "depraved."

I completely agree! Those were the best words spoken the entire episode!

Quote Originally Posted by gilberto
    I was stunned by Kris G.'s diatribe. Really stunned. What was most telling is that during her spiel, her mask of "white speech" dropped and she spoke with an African American dialect. Girl almost went ghetto in her anger.
    SO TRUE!!! Girlfriend wasn't sounding like a Texas Belle so much as Little Krissy from the Block! (And no, I'm not dissing any of the girls from the block, as I am one myself.) I was even starting to wonder if she might not pull a boxcutter out of her sleeve!

So Kris Gillespie's motives in going on the show were to lay the foundation for a second run at political office? How precious. Wrap your hate in the Bible and a 9-karat diamond and VOILA, a candidate is born. ICK! :phhht

And, thanks Cyranosfriend, for the kind words.

This woman has just infuriated me. She rules her family with an iron fist, powered by fear. Brian knew perfectly well that the Right Thing To Do was to explain that he'd spent time with Chris and she posed no danger to their daughter. I could see it in his eyes as he sat there and did nothing while his wife dehumanized Chris. He'd have made a terrific Nazi.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne88
    I've never figured out why people can be so opposed to some forms of judgemental attitudes, and overlook others so easily. I mean, Kris can attack Chris and Nikki for their sexuality without looking at the people they are, and that is wrong (which I agree it is). But then, rondave can attack people who turn to the bible for support and wisdom, and it goes unnoticed.
    No, Rondave just posted it, and you just noticed it and posted.

I've never figured out why people can be so opposed to some forms of judgemental attitudes, and overlook others so easily. I mean, Kris can attack Chris and Nikki for their sexuality without looking at the people they are, and that is wrong (which I agree it is). But then, rondave can attack people who turn to the bible for support and wisdom, and it goes unnoticed.
    My comment was directed at Mrs. Gillespie who doesn't seem to turn to her bible for wisdom

Doing the right thing comes naturally to some people. They don't need advice on whether they should treat another human being with respect.
    Last edited by rondave; 02-10-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by realfun
    I could see it in his eyes as he sat there and did nothing while his wife dehumanized Chris. He'd have made a terrific Nazi.
    I couldn't agree more. People who sit on their hands and watch while an injustice is carried out are just as guilty as the perpetrator in my opinion.

It hasn't been unnoticed at all. It was just posted.

Generalizations about people based on a single trait or habit tend to be unfair and incorrect about at least some of the people lumped in the group. Sad thing is, some of those unfair generalizations have the force of law behind them. And those generalizations are much more troubling to many people than the misguided opinion of an individual.

Kris' misguided opinion is especially upsetting because it has the force of law behind it, and the extreme response to her attitudes reflects that.

Quote Originally Posted by rondave
    It never ceases to amaze me that people like Kris Gillespie feel justified in critizing or judging anyone, when they clearly can't make a simple decision in life without running to church for advice or checking their 2000+ year old 'owners manual'.

Amen to that, and pardon the shameless pun...

I thought about it most of the sleepless night I just spent. Why I let TV hijack my brain is a question for another day. What I find most upsetting about the whole thing is that there a millions of Mrs. G's in the world. Look at the laws states are trying to pass or have passed to ban gay marriage? Laws strikingly similar, as has been mentioned, to laws banning inter-ratial marriage just a generation ago. Todays anti-gay laws could not be passed without people to support them.

Marriage is between a man and a woman, they say... Allowing gays to marry ruins the sanctity of marriage, they shout. What about a 50% or better divorce rate or infidelity? What do those do to the sanctity of marriage? Marriage, at it's core, is not a religious endeavor. It is a contractual agreement between two people for the purpose of owning property and figuring out who owns the stuff if one of the parties should kick off. Be it today's home and SUV and boat, or the goat someone paid for a woman with 1000 years ago, it is all about entering into a contract. You'll do these things, I'll do these things, and 50% of us will stay in our contract until one of us gets mad or finds someone else. The glue that's supposed to hold the whole thing together is love.

So, can someone please tell me why people like our agreed-she-is-a-bigot Mrs. G. think there's something wrong with people of the same sex entering into the same contract? I heard the argument a while back that if they let gays marry, soon it will be people who want to marry their dog. I don't think I have a problem with that, either, if the person can get the dog to say the vows! I'm kidding, of course, about the dog part.... But why the hate? There were riots in the street when we wouldn't treat people fairly based on the color of their skin... Why do we stand by and allow gays to be hated? Where is their riot? Where is our anger at this injustice?

O.K., stepping away from the soap box now, and am off to clean my bathroom. Ah, the humbleness of it...

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by cyranosfriend
    I thought about it most of the sleepless night I just spent. Why I let TV hijack my brain is a question for another day. What I find most upsetting about the whole thing is that there a millions of Mrs. G's in the world. Look at the laws states are trying to pass or have passed to ban gay marriage? Laws strikingly similar, as has been mentioned, to laws banning inter-ratial marriage just a generation ago. Todays anti-gay laws could not be passed without people to support them.

Marriage is between a man and a woman, they say... Allowing gays to marry ruins the sanctity of marriage, they shout. What about a 50% or better divorce rate or infidelity? What do those do to the sanctity of marriage? Marriage, at it's core, is not a religious endeavor. It is a contractual agreement between two people for the purpose of owning property and figuring out who owns the stuff if one of the parties should kick off. Be it today's home and SUV and boat, or the goat someone paid for a woman with 1000 years ago, it is all about entering into a contract. You'll do these things, I'll do these things, and 50% of us will stay in our contract until one of us gets mad or finds someone else. The glue that's supposed to hold the whole thing together is love.

So, can someone please tell me why people like our agreed-she-is-a-bigot Mrs. G. think there's something wrong with people of the same sex entering into the same contract? I heard the argument a while back that if they let gays marry, soon it will be people who want to marry their dog. I don't think I have a problem with that, either, if the person can get the dog to say the vows! I'm kidding, of course, about the dog part.... But why the hate? There were riots in the street when we wouldn't treat people fairly based on the color of their skin... Why do we stand by and allow gays to be hated? Where is their riot? Where is our anger at this injustice?

O.K., stepping away from the soap box now, and am off to clean my bathroom. Ah, the humbleness of it...
    I do not think you can equate being against gay marriage to being bigoted. There are reasons other than "I hate 'em" that people are against gay marraige. Heck, I have a dear friend who is both gay and against gay marraige. Does that mean he hates himself? I don't think so! He just happens to be both gay and very religious, and sees the Christian defitions of marriage being between a man and a woman to being much more clear than Christ's views on homosexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by rondave
    It never ceases to amaze me that people like Kris Gillespie feel justified in critizing or judging anyone, when they clearly can't make a simple decision in life without running to church for advice or checking their 2000+ year old 'owners manual'.

Right! The Bible is their weapon, little does she know that God knows ugly.
    Well, you can see what family is truely happier. The only time Kris Gillespie smiled is when she talked about the size of her diamond ring.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

Closed Thread